Note 9 screen crack easily?

tanson1011

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I've had an s7 edge and busted the screen 3 times due to the edge screen being exposed and not having protection from cases. I had good cases like the OtterBox symmetry and still a few times when I dropped my phone it would crack the edges of the screen.

Does this seem to be a problem for anyone else with the note 9? I said I'd never buy a Samsung again because of the curved edge but I have a note 9 on order.

I can "try" to be more careful but I drop phones, they slip out of my pockets when I sit down, I have kids that get their hands on my phone.

Never had a cracked screen on my pixel 2 that I've had for a year. Ok rambling over.

diegoavelino

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
After S7 they reduced angle of the curve so it would be less fragile. I had S7, S8, S9+ Ana now Note 9. Busted the S7 and S8 and purchase insurance for the note.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Any of these new phones break pretty easily. I think the Note is a little more durable than the S7 was, but the curved screen definitely makes it more prone to breaking if dropped.

If you are that prone to dropping and just can't seem to keep it from happening, I'd buy insurance. Probably worth it for you.

Velenoso

Nov 11, 2018
Visit site
Having a glass screen seems a scam to me with new types of perspex they have nowadays like Super Abrasion Resistant pespex. Why would a company like Samsung build phone's made out of all glass?

I hear people say that perspex scratches easily, as if we don't protect our devices with perspex anyway, we buy glass phones and cover them with perspex, the manufacturers must think we're stupid, what a scam.

JHStewart1023

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
the s7 edge cracked easily because the edge screen was a thinner curve where as the note curve isnt as sharp of a curve and the screen is more flat.. I think that this is what's going to make it less susceptible for breakage.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I've never cracked a phone (and I don't use cases), but that's because I don't drop my phone. Any glass phone can break if you drop it, even with a good case. I'd advise against having an expensive phone unless you can successfully avoid dropping it.

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
Having a glass screen seems a scam to me with new types of perspex they have nowadays like Super Abrasion Resistant pespex. Why would a company like Samsung build phone's made out of all glass?

I hear people say that perspex scratches easily, as if we don't protect our devices with perspex anyway, we buy glass phones and cover them with perspex, the manufacturers must think we're stupid, what a scam.

There are plenty of people (including myself) who do not use screen protectors.

jamesmannes

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
Pelican cases are awesome. You can buy a combo pack that has a magnetic holder for the car. Works great, I've had the case now for about 2 or 3 months and it's nice. It isn't as slippery as the OtterBox symmetry cases. They all have the glass screen protectors, got one and it's nice.

Velenoso

Nov 11, 2018
Visit site
There are plenty of people (including myself) who do not use screen protectors.

I know a guy who put his brand new S8 not even a 3 weeks old without a case in his top pocket, seen he had a shoelace untied, well you can guess what happen, he wasn't being irresponsible, careless or fooling around.

If you drop you phone without a case you asked for it, because you can take all the care in the world and it can still happen.

In addition, do you think it's a good idea making phones out of glass when they probably don't need to be, because you sound as if you're all for it!

Last edited:

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
Rocking a Spigen Tough Armor case and a IQ Shields wet application screen protector on phone since I got my Note 9 in September. Had a hand full of drops and not a scratch on it. Use a case and a screen protector and hope for the best.
The Note 9 just seems to be a little tougher. I haven't tried no field goals with it, but I do believe it's stronger..

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I know a guy who put his brand new S8 not even a 3 weeks old without a case in his top pocket, seen he had a shoelace untied, well you can guess what happen, he wasn't being irresponsible, careless or fooling around.

I disagree. He was being careless.
I've been lucky and never broke a phone - and I've been using cell phones since the beginning of cell phones (and I work in construction). I do know not to put one in my top pocket and bend down to tie a shoe. However, I may be careless enough, clumsy enough, or have lapse in judgement enough one day to break my phone. Of course it could happen to anyone, and I don't use a screen protector. If (when) it happens, I'll deal with it.

Velenoso

Nov 11, 2018
Visit site
I disagree. He was being careless.
I've been lucky and never broke a phone - and I've been using cell phones since the beginning of cell phones (and I work in construction). I do know not to put one in my top pocket and bend down to tie a shoe. However, I may be careless enough, clumsy enough, or have lapse in judgement enough one day to break my phone. Of course it could happen to anyone, and I don't use a screen protector. If (when) it happens, I'll deal with it.

Your post seem two sided, either my friend was careless or it could happen.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site

If you drop you phone without a case you asked for it, because you can take all the care in the world and it can still happen.

In addition, do you think it's a good idea making phones out of glass when they probably don't need to be, because you sound as if you're all for it!

It really is not clear how your (oddly passionate) argument is relevant to my observation that a number of people do not use screen protectors.

Velenoso

Nov 11, 2018
Visit site
It really is not clear how your (oddly passionate) argument is relevant to my observation that a number of people do not use screen protectors.

You made the point of saying There are plenty of people (including myself) who do not use screen protectors. I merely asked if you believed that glass phones were a good idea. And can I say there are many more who do use a protector than who don't

Why did it bother you that I stated >as if we don't protect our devices with perspex anyway, we buy glass phones and cover them with perspex< did I say you use a perspex protector?

Last edited:

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
I've rarely dropped any of my phones and have never had the experience of a cracked screen.

But that can change at any time.

Someone your letting use your phone could drop it.

Personally I have a set of accessories I always buy before using my new phone.

Rhinoshield Crashguard Bumper as its minimal and gives good drop protection and raised edges.

Whitestone Dome Glass Screen Protector as it's the best o believe out there that has all over silicone adhesive.

dbrand Black Camo Back Skin that stoos the back getting scratched up.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Your post seem two sided, either my friend was careless or it could happen.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.
No, it's simple. Things can happen, and sometimes it's due to carelessness (as in his case). It's not a dig - we all have moments of carelessness. Putting it in a back pocket and sitting on it, putting it in a top pocket and bending over - those are careless acts that are risky. Carelessness and "could happen" are not mutually exclusive. However, some seem less reliable with their phones than others. There was one guy in another thread that said he broke three S7's. If I was him, I would protect the heck out of my phones. My history makes me pretty comfortable with minimal protection, although I'm smart enough to realize something may still happen one day - either through my own carelessness, or something outside of my control like getting hit by a plane or something.

cknobman

May 15, 2018
Visit site
I've always had my Note 9 in a case with a glass screen protector.

Having said that, I've dropped it a few times with no damage.

note1note9

Sep 14, 2018
Visit site
Note 9 was proven to be more sturdy than the note 8 in drop tests and in the Consumer Reports article. so I think you have nothing to worry about OP

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci