Transition lag and stutter....14 days to decide

Nov 20, 2018
Visit site
Hello I am wondering if this is normal behavior of my new note , I get like a stuttering animation when I go from YouTube to the home screen the animation is a bit choppy returning, I also get it a few times when returning to home leaving gallery , tune in etc...I don't feel as if it's anything other than animation lag as the phone feels fast in every other operation otherwise. I did a full factory reset , didn't sign in to Samsung and set up as a new phone no back up still the same. I have the ATT 512 GB version black. I would exchange it but for what I use it for i am getting easy 9 hour screen time kinda don't want to risk that with sacrificing one thing to fix another. Also I have all the updates current for software and security. I have asked a few people in the store and they said that they have never heard of animation lag etc. The display demo unit was stolen so that wasn't a option to test it. Oh and it does it with or without power saving on.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi, see if I can help you
see if you have any updates in the Galaxy app or if it needs updating itself maybe the Samsung launcher needs to be updated.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I am familiar with the option to change it in DM but what I am asking is if this is normal or if others experience the stutter transition
On my Sprint Note 9, I'm not experiencing any issues like that. Previously, Ihad an unlocked version that had stuttering/buzzing camera issues and some stuttering/glitchy app opening/closing issues though.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I am familiar with the option to change it in DM but what I am asking is if this is normal or if others experience the stutter transition

Is this lag, stuttering, choppiness something you experience exiting every app or just the few that you named? Does it happen when you exit an app only when using the home button or also when using the back button? I don’t experience this on my N9 (also an Att device). One thing comes to mind, the setting for one handed operation using the three tap option for the home button. If you’re using that option try turning it off.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
On my Sprint Note 9, I'm not experiencing any issues like that. Previously, Ihad an unlocked version that had stuttering/buzzing camera issues and some stuttering/glitchy app opening/closing issues though.
Mine is the 128 GB version.

Nov 20, 2018
Visit site
I do not have one hand operation or home button turned on it's mostly returning to the home screen from a app , I was able to find a display working model at Target and I went from YouTube etc and returned to home screen and it chops and lags about once every 5 returns. Noticing me messing with the display the Target mobile guy asked me what I was looking into and I mentioned it and he showed me on his personal Note 9 it does it also.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I do not have one hand operation or home button turned on it's mostly returning to the home screen from a app, I was able to find a display working model at Target and I went from YouTube etc and returned to home screen and it chops and lags about once every 5 returns. Noticing me messing with the display the Target mobile guy asked me what I was looking into and I mentioned it and he showed me on his personal Note 9 it does it also.
You don't end an app with the Home button, that just runs the launcher, and if there's not enough free RAM to run the launcher, Android has to kill one or more apps to make room.

If you end the app with the back button, the app is closed (like hitting the X on a Windows program) and you're back in the launcher - and probably no stutter.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2018
Visit site
I always go home because I leave said apps open to access them faster than a full closeout. Sometimes home is faster if I hit back to close say for example in browser I have to hit back through all my window history like 10 times. Plus if my note 4 doesn't chop and lag with the same amount of apps open returning to home that's weird. Not bashing the phone as I really like it.

wsrobert

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
This is happening to all Note 9s. Just like its happened for other Samsung devices prior. Some people just dont see it or cant see it - and thats great (but doesnt mean its not there). While others are just super sensitive to it. I'm one whos sensitive to it. I've got a Note 9. Mine does the same thing you describe. Using a different launcher "fixes" the issue. But thats sort of a lame workaround. I actually like the Experience launcher.

But don't let others fool you into thinking you can swap yours out for one that doesnt.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
This is happening to all Note 9s. Just like its happened for other Samsung devices prior. Some people just dont see it or cant see it - and thats great (but doesnt mean its not there). While others are just super sensitive to it. I'm one whos sensitive to it. I've got a Note 9. Mine does the same thing you describe. Using a different launcher "fixes" the issue. But thats sort of a lame workaround. I actually like the Experience launcher.

But don't let others fool you into thinking you can swap yours out for one that doesnt.

Thank you for speaking on behalf of all note9 owners , can you post a Video please so I can see this and then I can confirm I have this issue on mine or not .

kevinpleasants

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site

Nah I nor my wife have that problem with our Note 9s.

Nov 20, 2018
Visit site
I was out and about this evening and was able to visit a ATT store that didn't have a slab of meat as a sales person, I was able to get both display units to stutter and lag transitioning home on about 60 percent of my attempts actually worse than mine. The manager also had a 128 GB version in her pocket and asked me to show her what I meant , hers did the lag chop and stutter and her response was " oh that they all do that it's a Samsung " she told me she'd exchange it no problem but the new one will do no it also. I didn't exchange it went on with my errands and closed out my trip to a tmobile kiosk in the mall near my house both display units did it. I think the statement that some people don't see it or are not sensitive to it makes sense. Like I said earlier it's the animations that lag the phone functions and what you ask it to do , multi task , switching home, app load times is smoking fast.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc