Why can't Samsung phones be faster?

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Still enjoying the Note 9 but having picked up a OnePlus 6 in the Black Friday sales I find myself wondering why Samsung cannot just focus a little bit more on performance and make their phones just a little bit faster?

In isolation the note 9 is not slow by any means (after you dial down the animations in developer settings) but next to the Oneplus it really does feel a little sluggish. It is across the board but where I really notice it a lot is when using the Blackberry Hub where the difference is quite significant IMO. The note remains the better all-round package (as it should be for the price) but once experienced that performance difference vs the OnePlus is not something that is easy to ‘un-see’

Wondering if the new One UI will maybe bring any performance improvements?

guitar_65riff

Jun 20, 2018
Visit site
You could try a different launcher?
I use Nova . Choose 'look and feel'/animations and set to lightning speed.
Every thing seems to be very snappy.
Also go to your device settings and choose'optimise'

Carrie Greicar

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Still enjoying the Note 9 but having picked up a OnePlus 6 in the Black Friday sales I find myself wondering why Samsung cannot just focus a little bit more on performance and make their phones just a little bit faster?

In isolation the note 9 is not slow by any means (after you dial down the animations in developer settings) but next to the Oneplus it really does feel a little sluggish. It is across the board but where I really notice it a lot is when using the Blackberry Hub where the difference is quite significant IMO. The note remains the better all-round package (as it should be for the price) but once experienced that performance difference vs the OnePlus is not something that is easy to ‘un-see’

I don't have any issues with performance or speed - I use Nova.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, it just seems to me that the animation files that Samsung uses themselves are slower. If you use a 1sec animation file, and the other guy uses a 0.5 sec animation file, if you set both at fastest multiplier available, in the end you're still multiplying by 1, and the other guy is multiplying at 0.5.
What does a longer animation file benefit anyway? For one it hides loading screens a bit more. Second it's prettier. And I'd expect those to be the Samsung's main concern, not show everyone how blazing fast it is.
Plus Samsung is running more stuff under the hood than OnePlus. It's a backfire of having all the features you can have plus the kitchen sink.
Take two of the same cars, same engines, but load up one with all the optional stereos, lights, advanced systems and whatnot. Then the other you strip of everything unnecessary for the race that's going to happen. Even with the same engine, the other fully loaded car will be slower than the stripped down car. And essentially, that's what stock Android is compared to Samsung Experience: stripped down of features. Take for example the new Markup feature for Android Pie. Samsung has had that since built in since like Marshmallow at least. But all that weight will take it's toll on the processing power. More features, means it needs to use more oomph to run them.
In the end, it's your choice to go with the features, or being like maybe half a second faster.

guitar_65riff

Jun 20, 2018
Visit site
My note 9 is easily as fast as my son's iPhone X. seems to me, a lot of fuss over nothing. Just how fast does it need to be?
It's a phone/pc in your pocket/camera
No need to leave a trail of smoke everytime it does anything

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site

Stripped down phones are always going to seem faster. They have alot less going on in the background. They don't manage RAM as well either so they tend to shut things down to conserve resources. You'll save that time by not having apps refresh on higher end devices.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Stripped down phones are always going to seem faster. They have alot less going on in the background. They don't manage RAM as well either so they tend to shut things down to conserve resources. You'll save that time by not having apps refresh on higher end devices.
This. You are comparing two very different phones. This is why the Note isn't for everyone. If you don't utilize the additional features, I'd go with a phone like the One Plus. A phone like that will always perform different than a phone like the Note. I'll gladly wait a millisecond longer for something and have all the features of my Note.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
@neil74, are you referring to the speed at which apps are running, or just the speed of the launcher? The launcher (TouchWiz) has always been Samsung's weak point - it's about the worst launcher available for any phone. (I never use it - any Samsung phone gets set up, then I install Nova.)

If you're speaking about the speed of the apps themselves, with a Snapdragon 845, apps should be running fairly quickly - the OnePlus 6 is running he same SoC.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

It will get better with the new one UI

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
@neil74, are you referring to the speed at which apps are running, or just the speed of the launcher? The launcher (TouchWiz) has always been Samsung's weak point - it's about the worst launcher available for any phone. (I never use it - any Samsung phone gets set up, then I install Nova.)

If you're speaking about the speed of the apps themselves, with a Snapdragon 845, apps should be running fairly quickly - the OnePlus 6 is running he same SoC.

It’s both really and as I say it is only slow comparatively speaking, not really slow. The BB hub is an app where I can really see a difference.

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
As its been mentioned, Samsung has a lot more going on under the hood. Even with that I compared it with the Oneplus 6 and thought the O6 would clearly show the speed benefit but that wasn't really the case. Maybe the O6 is faster but its pretty comparable. Samsung did a really good job this time around with the software.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
As its been mentioned, Samsung has a lot more going on under the hood. Even with that I compared it with the Oneplus 6 and thought the O6 would clearly show the speed benefit but that wasn't really the case. Maybe the O6 is faster but its pretty comparable. Samsung did a really good job this time around with the software.

And there's zero lag on my phone and I use it every day. I once got rid of the animations that Samsung use by adjusting the settings in the developer panel but after a few days, I really missed them and set them back as they were from the factory. To me, that is what makes the phone unique and fun to use.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
And there's zero lag on my phone and I use it every day. I once got rid of the animations that Samsung use by adjusting the settings in the developer panel but after a few days, I really missed them and set them back as they were from the factory. To me, that is what makes the phone unique and fun to use.

True. Honestly I'd prefer the features and the animations really. Even on Nova before I used to set animations to relaxed. LOL. Speed isn't always the best thing to have.

Richard Stewart79

Sep 3, 2018
Visit site
Do you always must have the fastest car. I rather choose a beautiful car with all the bells and whistles which might not be the fastest but sure can get up and go.

And by meaning faster. Those phones are only milliseconds faster. Not like they load webpages or apps 10 seconds faster

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
All the extra features can take a toll on the resources. When I had Samsungs as daily drivers, I usually added Nova right away, and that helped.

DamianP

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm rocking Nova on my Note 9 and tuned animations down to .5 and feel this is by far the most lag free Samsung ever, to the point it's just as slick as my pixel 2 XL

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
All the extra features can take a toll on the resources. When I had Samsungs as daily drivers, I usually added Nova right away, and that helped.
Nova actually hasn't been any faster at all on this phone. I prefer Samsung experience. I've been a Nova guy for years but it's just ok now.