Samsung software updates?

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

I am considering leaving the Apple world again. Debating between the Note 9 and the Pixel 3 XL.

I always appreciated how quickly Google's phone received Android updates in the past but don't want to compromise anything hardware wise this time around.

So I am wondering if Samsung has improved their software update time? Last time I was on Android it was ridiculous how long it took them to update.

Any input or opinions on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

applejosh

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Hard to say long term until they do it for a while, but so far, on unlocked phones, seems to be a little better than last year. S9+ is on Nov 1 service pack level. Note 9 is still on Oct 1, though. Carrier models seems to get them quicker (depending on the carrier) as the company line is "unlocked won't be updated until all the carriers approve their updates." Not sure why that is, but it's what I've read. Last year, I seem to recall the best I had on updates was the S8 being a month behind. So at least one of the current flagship phones is in the current month. But again, until they do this consistently for a while, I'd still lean towards a Pixel if updates are important. (I understand the struggle; Samsung makes some beautiful phones.)

athomas917

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Security updates seem pretty consistent but it really depends on the carrier. ATT really dragged *** with the Marshmallow update but we're one of the first to push Nougat. Go figure.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Security updates have been consistent on a monthly basis for my Note 8 and now the Note 9 as well. You won't get the latest version of Android as soon as the Pixel obviously. We won't get it until January or February at best. That doesn't bother me though. My Note does more with Oreo than than the Pixel does with Pie. Also, I'd rather Samsung get the update right rather than rush it out. I expect updates to start coming a little quicker, but they will never be on par with the Pixel.

Velenoso

Nov 11, 2018
Visit site
I don't know why so much emphasis is put on monthly update as if you can even tell you've had one, some go on about the security as if phones being hacked is common. I have an unlocked S9+ and my updates are a bullock, who cares.

Last edited:

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Definitely can be affected by carrier or if you get an unlocked version.

In my case, I have a Sprint Note 9. Currently it has the November security patch, Samsung Experience 9.5, Android version 8.1.0. Running perfectly.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Getting software updates quickly doesn’t always translate to a good thing. Yes, I’m looking at you iOS 11. Even with Google, there have been times where updates introduced bugs and issues into Nexus and Pixel devices. Samsung’s history with updating software versions suggests the Note will move from Oreo to Pie early next year. As for me I’m happy with Oreo as it runs great and I can wait for the update. The “almost” monthly security patches and updates have been coming regularly and are more important to me.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
OS updates are way overrated. Choose the phone for the features and hardware for your preferences. Everyone builds up these ethereal magical OS updates and when they finally receive them, it is such a letdown. As long as you are on a flagship device, you will get the updates in time.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
OS updates are way overrated. Choose the phone for the features and hardware for your preferences. Everyone builds up these ethereal magical OS updates and when they finally receive them, it is such a letdown. As long as you are on a flagship device, you will get the updates in time.
I think the concern here is mostly about the monthly security updates. These udpates often patch critical vulnerabilities, and delaying the updates can leave you open to having your phone and associated accounts hacked.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Personally I'm glad Samsung takes time to release updates, feels like most Android bugs show on the Pixel and get patched before Samsung bothers to update.

Samsung still updates security almost monthly which is more important than a new Android version anyway.

adegbenroagoro

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm in the Wild West-West Africa. I have the November security patch. I'm quite happy to stay on Oreo as long as it takes for Samsung to optimize the Note 9 for Pie. I think Samsung have improved in the past one year concerning security patches.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't know why so much emphasis is put on monthly update as if you can even tell you've had one, some go on about the security as if phones being hacked is common. I have an unlocked S9+ and my updates are a bullock, who cares.

I agree.
From what I've read, the covered threats are quite old.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
From what I've read, the covered threats are quite old.
Can you be more specific about what you've "read", where you read it, and what evidence they offered?

Often, vulnerabilities are discovered by benevolent researchers and publicly announced only after a patch has been released. At that point, the announcement itself may enable hackers for the first time to exploit the vulnerability, for systems that remain unpatched.

I agree that there's no need to panic. But timely security updates are nonetheless important. Fortunately, Samsung seems to have been doing a reasonable job so far with Note9 updates.

slivy58

Banned
Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
My S7 Edge (32 months old now) has been getting regular security updates receiving Nov Patch just recently. Our newer devices, BB Motion and Huawei P20 Pro, haven't quite kept pace so IMHO believe Samsung HAS pulled up their socks a wee bit.

Wbutchart

May 27, 2016
Visit site
The updates on my s8 were variable. Sometimes consistent monthly but other times especially when they are getting ready to release a major update there would be none really. They do support three years and two major updates too like pixel, they are just slower. However you get a vastly better phone, more features, dex, the better screen, no notch and so much more. It's a trade off but I'd take the better phone every time. The updates come just a bit slower.

neo158

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
I know this isn't the same thing as security updates but just to gauge how fast Samsung are with updates, the Nokia 6.1 got Android Pie at the end of last month, the Nokia 8 gets it the end of this month and the earliest Samsung devices will get it is January next year.