Unlocked on Verizon?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone with an unlocked N9 at VZW comment about any features or updates you've lost due to using the unlocked version? Thanks!

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
How about updates. Did you get any? Thanks!

Yeah, through October so far. I'm struggling to stay with the phone. Not incredibly low light this afternoon and I was very dissatisfied with the picture results of my kids. Picked up my Pixel and same exact lighting and situation produced clean, blur free photos with lots of details. None of that Samsung blur of hair that looks like an oil painting.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, through October so far. I'm struggling to stay with the phone. Not incredibly low light this afternoon and I was very dissatisfied with the picture results of my kids. Picked up my Pixel and same exact lighting and situation produced clean, blur free photos with lots of details. None of that Samsung blur of hair that looks like an oil painting.

Sell it on swappa.

I'm not much of a photog, so as long as the camera takes pics I'm good.
I had an OG Pixel XL and a Pixel 2 XL and was not impressed with either. I'm really digging the Note 9.

Last edited:

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Thought you wanted to get the iPhone Max? I have the Max and thinking about going back to the Note 9 Midnight Black.

If you use Verizon then I would get the phone from Verizon.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Thought you wanted to get the iPhone Max? I have the Max and thinking about going back to the Note 9 Midnight Black.

If you use Verizon then I would get the phone from Verizon.
Yes I wanted the max when i thought it was 400 off. My mistake was getting so pissed I stormed out without thinking about N9 for 400 off.

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
So Wi-Fi calling doesn’t work with an unlocked version on Verizon? I just bought one from Swappa and Wi-Fi calling is the reason I sent the 6T back to OnePlus.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
So Wi-Fi calling doesn’t work with an unlocked version on Verizon? I just bought one from Swappa and Wi-Fi calling is the reason I sent the 6T back to OnePlus.
I can confirm it doesn't work.

I also have an unlocked S9+ and WiFi calling does work on it with Verizon.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Any tutorials? I've rooted in the past but never used ODIN. I'm coming from iPhone.

If you go to the XDA forums now, someone uploaded the Verizon firmware just today. In that same Note 9 forum, you should find the link to download the special version of Odin you need for the Note 9.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Also, use Samsung Smartswitch on your computer to backup the contents of your phone so that you can restore everything when you are through.

You need a Windows computer to run Odin on also.

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm downloading the firmware now from that post. Then I'll drop it on a flash drive. I'll check for the ODIN a little later. This essentially makes my phone a Verizon phone with all their bloat right? Considering this year Thanksgiving was in the place where I need WiFi calling, I may just wait for VZW to offer official support for WiFi calling. We'll see how I feel when the phone arrives.
If you go to the XDA forums now, someone uploaded the Verizon firmware just today. In that same Note 9 forum, you should find the link to download the special version of Odin you need for the Note 9.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm downloading the firmware now from that post. Then I'll drop it on a flash drive. I'll check for the ODIN a little later. This essentially makes my phone a Verizon phone with all their bloat right? Considering this year Thanksgiving was in the place where I need WiFi calling, I may just wait for VZW to offer official support for WiFi calling. We'll see how I feel when the phone arrives.

It will have a few Verizon apps installed but it's not too bad.

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I called them today and he said their store hasn't done that in 1.5 years. Said the nearest store that did that to here was Virginia Beach which is about 4.5 hours from me.

I've got Odin3 on my wife's Windows laptop and I've got the firmware from that XDA thread and the one from SamMobile since they have different numbers.

My Unlocked 512GB will be here Thursday then I'll decide if I want to wait out VZW to update the Note 9 like they did the S9/S9+ or or just flash the VZW firmware.
Anyone ever ask the Best Buy Samsung guy if HE will flash the VZW firmware for you?

Last edited:

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I called them today and he said their store hasn't done that in 1.5 years. Said the nearest store that did that to here was Virginia Beach which is about 4.5 hours from me.

I've got Odin3 on my wife's Windows laptop and I've got the firmware from that XDA thread and the one from SamMobile since they have different numbers.

My Unlocked 256GB will be here Thursday then I'll decide if I want to wait out VZW to update the Note 9 like they did the S9/S9+ or or just flash the VZW firmware.
256gb? I thought they were either 128 or 512?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2