(Rumor) Our Note 9s will be junk compared to THIS!

Jrome.brooks

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: Our Note 9s will be junk compared to THIS!

12g of ram 1tb of storage that's crazy what else 4 cameras 5000mah battery that you charge other phones with

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site

If rumours of that 4th S10 model are true then I have a sneaky suspicion that it will include the Spen and maybe even the graphene battery tech, a 6.7 inch 4k screen would need power and a screen that size just screams NOTE...

Also, if the S10 comes with an Spen then indeed that means that likely the Note line is being killed off and the S10 will come with the spen as you stated OR they just nix the pen all together.

Doesn't make sense to kill the Note but then offer the S with the spen which would be the same thing as a Note. I think if the Note line is killed, then Spen is gone too.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Also, if the S10 comes with an Spen then indeed that means that likely the Note line is being killed off and the S10 will come with the spen as you stated OR they just nix the pen all together.

Doesn't make sense to kill the Note but then offer the S with the spen which would be the same thing as a Note. I think if the Note line is killed, then Spen is gone too.

If it comes with an spen then it's a Note and the line isn't really "killed off".

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

12GB of RAM in a phone makes no sense unless the IS itself was rewritten to be terribly RAM-inefficient. There's no way you're going to run even a huge app long enough to gather up enough in-RAM data to need 12GB - or even 8GB. Even running 3 large apps at once, with all of them holding a large amount of data may get close to 8GB, but I doubt if more than a handful of people use their phones like that. It's more a sales tool than anything else.

And, as Mike said, a 25mp sensor is also a sales tool. They're making thinner phones, and you don't do that with telephoto lenses and large image sensors.

But we'll probably see 16GB RAM phone - and even 24GB RAM phones - in the future. It's like using a semi to go grocery shopping.

And the 12GB will drain more battery whether it's being used or not.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

True. Mike. Ram draws the same amount of power whether what's in it is all 0s, all garbage or it's being used for something. All 12GB of that RAM is constantly being refreshed, and that's what costs power. It costs less to refresh 6GB than to refresh 12GB. (And the RAM itself, just sitting there, draws some power, but the main draw is from refreshing it.)

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site

If it comes with an spen then it's a Note and the line isn't really "killed off".

That's what I was trying to state. I hope it's not killed off. I'd hate to have to buy another Spen phone less than 4 months from now, especially if it's like $1500. I just splurged on a Note 9 in late Aug. Give me some time to recover$$

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site

I don't know how much the extra RAM power draws, and affects battery - it does though. And lower power memory is in the pipeline. SnapDragon for 2-1 laptops, tablet and even Windows 10 where the SD1000 support for 16GB are in the works (prototype I assume).

One article on Mac site talked about stingy Apple still using 3GB on iPhone and power/battery being factor - and the iPhone has always used smaller batteries.

Using DeX is one scenario where 6 or 8 makes sense. Who ever thought word processors would weigh 500MB or need about that much memory. 6GB phones have been a "thing" in some markets like China but needed? Apps will find a way though to exploit it. If you build it, they will come.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site

Disagree. The Note 9 wouldn't be made junk by this... but this also isn't true. Why spread misinformation?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I haven't seen more ram cause issue with battery , my 1+6 has 8gb ram and gets really good battery life .

Grasshopper: You have much too learn. Good battery life and more consumption are mutually exclusive.

ladiinay

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
The next model is usually slightly better than the previous. And the Note 10 (if there is one) will be an improvement over the S10. I won't consider my Note 9 to be junk though. My Note 8 that I still use sometimes isn't junk. I love this phone. 8 GB RAM is good enough for me with the 512 GB internal.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
The next model is usually slightly better than the previous. And the Note 10 (if there is one) will be an improvement over the S10. I won't consider my Note 9 to be junk though. My Note 8 that I still use sometimes isn't junk. I love this phone. 8 GB RAM is good enough for me with the 512 GB internal.
Exactly

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Maybe we are talking about 2 different things. RAM uses energy whether it's full or empty. I don't think we are at the point where 12GB would be utilized efficiently.

I do agree 12gb of ram is overkill for phones right now .
6 to 8 is the sweet spot
It depends on the phone what resources its running or if app uses lot of memory .
Dont forget total ram and ram usage for phones vary say note 9 6gb ram 3.2gb is System/apps 2.2 free and 563 reserve .

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site

You tell 'em Jewels! That is a pretty BOLD statement to make... an initial video write up can't be used to make that kind of determination and I wouldn't even give up the Note 9 if what I saw was correct! $1600, no s-pen, no battery info, no camera info, ???

Exactly😁

illdini

May 17, 2010
Visit site

With 3 back cameras, maybe the RAM is needed for post-processing pictures?

Alternatively, as someone else on this thread has said, maybe Dex will be upgraded to the point of usefulness.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

With 3 back cameras, maybe the RAM is needed for post-processing pictures?

Alternatively, as someone else on this thread has said, maybe Dex will be upgraded to the point of usefulness.

Is there a time when all 3 cameras would be utilized simultaneously? Even if you were using all three cameras at the same time you would not need the extra ram.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781