Weird crack, not from dropping...

mediaseth

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
I'll try to do this fix through warranty rather than "insurance," as it's not even from a drop. I also have an otterbox on it!

But, just below the rear cameras and fingerprint censor, a little to the right, is a small spider crack. It doesn't reach near the edges.

The local AT&T store guy said it's in a weird spot for a drop, as well. I really don't think a fall did this. I don't recall it falling. I haven't had it very long.

Has anyone else had strange, seemingly spontaneous cracks on the rear glass?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Good luck trying to claim a crack through warranty, though... I get your point, really do, just being realistic here and definitely not an easy way to do unless you get a very lenient agent processing your claim.

Only case I remember of glass cracking that was covered by warranty was on the Moto360 watch where the original design would cause additional stress to the glass near the strap ends (and this was very well documented and proven before Motorola accepted this as a design failure and honored replacements for this).

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'll try to do this fix through warranty rather than "insurance," as it's not even from a drop. I also have an otterbox on it!

But, just below the rear cameras and fingerprint censor, a little to the right, is a small spider crack. It doesn't reach near the edges.

The local AT&T store guy said it's in a weird spot for a drop, as well. I really don't think a fall did this. I don't recall it falling. I haven't had it very long.

Has anyone else had strange, seemingly spontaneous cracks on the rear glass?

Maybe you Accidentally sat on it while in your pocket or something like that, didn't realize because you have a case that can put pressure and crack it but however it happened it's done and cracked. Like the other poster said it's going be hard to get Samsung to exchange it for that reason. Your just better off going through insurance and pay the deduction

mediaseth

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, you're probably both right. I've had galaxy phones a long time, including notes 7 and 8, and never once cracked a screen, even with drops. So, naturally I jumped to the conclusion that there must be a flaw ;) Maybe it's just more prone to damage from pressure or maybe it's a horrible case design. I had Pelican cases before. I thought the Otterbox was very similar, though it leaves a better opening for the headphone jack.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
And a picture of the inside of the case on the area of the crack.
I never liked how hard the material on the inside of the Defender case is.

ETA, I just reread the OP. I guess I thought Defender, since you were adamant about the protection.

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
No! Warranty should take care of it though. Takes about 40 minutes to fix, at least through Assurion or IFiXIT preferably through Assurion if you have Sprint.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
You might want to check if any of the credit cards you use include phone warranties. My Uber Visa card allows me to get reimbursed for up to $600 of phone repairs so long as I use the card to pay my T-Mobile bill. If you've got soemthing like this, you could take your phone to any repair shop, get the glass back fixed, and then get reimbursed.

Knightmayre90

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site
I also have a strange one on mine, it's on the front, top right. it feels like a scratch as i can feel it with my fingernail. it's about 2cm long and doesn't touch any edges. can't see it when the screen is lit tho. it literally appeared one morning about 2 months ago, one second it wasnt there, then it was. I'm leaving it tho. hasn't affected anything

matther22xdroid

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
If you take it anywhere BUT Samsung to have the back glass fixed it will no longer be water resistant and void your warranty. I had the back glass fixed on my S8+ and Samsung only charged me $70ish. I bet they will fix the back cheaper then an insurance deductible.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Depending on where you live and the climate the phones been subject too it might be a crack caused by temperature change. It's the only reason I can think of for it to spontaneously crack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy