12-10-2018 09:04 PM
43 12
tools
    Yea - stuff happens. Especially when you're busy with a million things, etc My past Note 9 was a blue one - it was in a case on my road bike, I hit a rough patch of road going to fast and it went sailing through the air and bounced on the road. The phone itself was fine with no cracks, but two nice deep gouges down by the S-Pen.

Have a black Note 9 note through Sprint - have dropped I think twice so far, but not the sailing over handlebars - from a counter and related heights. Thankfully no issues. I just try to watch whenever I've got it. I like the Otterbox Defender case - though heavy, it's so easy to hold and feels secure, not like it'll slip out of my hand or anything.
    I can picture that... Guessing you came out of it OK?

I have a crappy case on it until my Samsung Flip case arrives. I went to Sh*t Buys yesterday to look at new covers. I like the flip cover, I have had one since my Note 2. The problem since the note 7 they flip cover blocks the camera if you open it VS the old over that had the window... The Otterbox is great for protection but its a lil too big for me. I was hoping I would like the LifeProof case but it didn't seem worth it to me.

I was very surprised the Sh*t Buys near me didn't have much of a selection. They had maybe 10 - 15 to pick from and most of it was just different colors. You turn the corner and there was 3 shelves front and back full of iPhone covers...
    12-08-2018 07:07 AM
    Add a 128gb or higher card for a few bucks and you will feel better. How much storage did you use on the 8?

Based on your post I think you need to invest more into protecting your phone.... look at this way, if you bought the 512 you would be risking a more expensive device with all of your dropping, falling and forgetting... sheesh.

R
    Since the original Note, I have had the Note, Dinc, Moto x, Moto Rzar Maxx, Note 2, Note 4, Note 7, S7 LGv20 and the Note 8. I have never dropped, cracked, lost or left behind any of them... This plus all the cell phones that I have had in the past dating back to a Nextel Brick with a 10 lbs battery pack!!

As I said, that was just the last month of mishaps...
    12-08-2018 07:20 AM
    I can picture that... Guessing you came out of it OK?

I have a crappy case on it until my Samsung Flip case arrives. I went to Sh*t Buys yesterday to look at new covers. I like the flip cover, I have had one since my Note 2. The problem since the note 7 they flip cover blocks the camera if you open it VS the old over that had the window... The Otterbox is great for protection but its a lil too big for me. I was hoping I would like the LifeProof case but it didn't seem worth it to me.

I was very surprised the Sh*t Buys near me didn't have much of a selection. They had maybe 10 - 15 to pick from and most of it was just different colors. You turn the corner and there was 3 shelves front and back full of iPhone covers...
    Yea, the black note 9 - not even a scratch anywhere on it. About to go hiking with the two huskies here soon this a.m. and will bring the phone along.
    MysticalDreams likes this.
    12-08-2018 07:22 AM
    I can also justify getting the 512 also
    One can justify anything; it doesn't mean that course of action should be done. The choice is still up to you. I personally wouldn't spend the money on storage if I wasn't sure it was all going to be used.
    12-08-2018 09:33 AM
    Counter question: How much storage was used versus what you had on the 8? If you only had 128 on the 8 and it was only 33% full, why pay more for extra space you most likely won't use?
    RAM BABY!

I was researching the wife's next phone. I'm her "tech support" as she says and a phone junkie. My coworker tells others, "he is like a computer geek, but with phones".
    I decided on the Note 9 for her. I got a barely mint 128 on Swappa. We just can't justify paying $1000 for a phone.
    Through all of the research for choosing and setting up, I started to get enamored by it. It's a really great phone.
    I thought I had the phone I really wanted. A Pixel 2 XL, but it did not impress me at all. Camera quality is not a big deal to me. As long as it takes pictures that can be seen, I'm good.
    So, I was really digging the wife's Note 9 and all it could do and theming options and thinking that I would like one, if it could be rooted, but it can't, at least not in the US, AFAIK. I have had a rootable phone, since 2012.
    Then I found out about the 512 GB version, WITH EIGHT GIGS OF RAM! It was game over. So I found a mint 8/512 on Swappa with a Whitestone protector and a bunch of cases (I'm also a huge case junkie), for only $150 more than the wife's 6/128.
    I have been thoroughly impressed and have no regrets. Now I'm researching what all the S Pen can do.
    Colour me happy!
    12-08-2018 11:45 AM
    I traded in my beloved Note 8 for half off despite all the naysayers and reviewers who termed it "not much of an upgrade." No doubt for many N8 owners this was true but for me the enhanced cameras, Energizer battery life, Dolby Atmos stereo speakers, increased reception power from stronger radios, more powerful processor and the new and improved S-pen were all worth it. This is the pocket computer of my dreams. 128 GBs of internal storage plus the expandable SD card options are more than enough for even the hardiest of downloaders. Use the extra money you would have spent for the 512 and use it to accessorize your current phone with cases, wireless chargers, screen protectors, VR headsets and so on. Enjoy the wonderful device that you already have.
    j_hansen and indydrummer like this.
    12-09-2018 01:04 AM
    Now you made me want to upgrade again from my N8 :-)
    12-09-2018 02:02 AM
    Counter question: How much storage was used versus what you had on the 8? If you only had 128 on the 8 and it was only 33% full, why pay more for extra space you most likely won't use?
    Apps are getting bigger everyday and more resource intensive. If you plan to keep this phone 2 plus years, the 8/512 is more future proof so to speak. IMHO.
    12-09-2018 10:56 AM
    Upgraded from Note 3 to Note9 8/512.
    I am extremely pleased.
    amyf27 and bassplayrguy like this.
    12-09-2018 11:11 AM
    Upgraded from Note 3 to Note9 8/512.
    I am extremely pleased.
    Whoa. Note 3 to Note 9m that is an epic change. Nice move
    12-09-2018 11:12 AM
    Apps are getting bigger everyday and more resource intensive. If you plan to keep this phone 2 plus years, the 8/512 is more future proof so to speak. IMHO.
    Apps are getting bigger, but exponentially. Not to the point where a lower usage on 128 GB dictates doubling to a half a Terabyte.

The hypothetical situation of someone keeping a phone for over 2 years but still doesn't fill a 128 storage isn't really future proofing; it's closer to overspending.
    12-09-2018 11:16 AM
    Apps are getting bigger, but exponentially. Not to the point where a lower usage on 128 GB dictates doubling to a half a Terabyte.

The hypothetical situation of someone keeping a phone for over 2 years but still doesn't fill a 128 storage isn't really future proofing; it's closer to overspending.
    Agree to disagree. I'm in it for the RAM not the room.
    amyf27 and pizza_pablo like this.
    12-09-2018 11:18 AM
    RAM BABY!

I was researching the wife's next phone. I'm her "tech support" as she says and a phone junkie. My coworker tells others, "he is like a computer geek, but with phones".
    I decided on the Note 9 for her. I got a barely mint 128 on Swappa. We just can't justify paying $1000 for a phone.
    Through all of the research for choosing and setting up, I started to get enamored by it. It's a really great phone.
    I thought I had the phone I really wanted. A Pixel 2 XL, but it did not impress me at all. Camera quality is not a big deal to me. As long as it takes pictures that can be seen, I'm good.
    So, I was really digging the wife's Note 9 and all it could do and theming options and thinking that I would like one, if it could be rooted, but it can't, at least not in the US, AFAIK. I have had a rootable phone, since 2012.
    Then I found out about the 512 GB version, WITH EIGHT GIGS OF RAM! It was game over. So I found a mint 8/512 on Swappa with a Whitestone protector and a bunch of cases (I'm also a huge case junkie), for only $150 more than the wife's 6/128.
    I have been thoroughly impressed and have no regrets. Now I'm researching what all the S Pen can do.
    Colour me happy!
    More RAM is a double edged sword. Unused RAM is wasted. Android likes keeping RAM full, to help with bringing an app back into the foreground while still preserving battery power.

I would almost prefer to see Samsung further optimize their version of Android to make better use of the RAM already used.
    thecomicbookandme likes this.
    12-09-2018 11:19 AM
    I have a note 8 and no way am I spending more money to upgrade this great phone until 5G is in the HW. Nothing I read on the Note 9 is worth upgrading, and we have 6 note 8's in the family. Most just are looking forward to the phone being paid off.
    amyf27 likes this.
    12-09-2018 01:14 PM
    More RAM is a double edged sword. Unused RAM is wasted. Android likes keeping RAM full, to help with bringing an app back into the foreground while still preserving battery power.

I would almost prefer to see Samsung further optimize their version of Android to make better use of the RAM already used.
    I've not read this about RAM. Please share your resource for this info.
    12-09-2018 06:06 PM
    I've not read this about RAM. Please share your resource for this info.
    https://www.androidcentral.com/ram-w...-shouldnt-care

It's toward the beginning; after the section of how your phone uses RAM. To a degree, this is more of a topic on why clearing RAM/task killers are counterproductive, but the adage of unused RAM is wasted stuck out in my mind here.

Assume for a moment the rumor of 10 or 12 GB of RAM on the S10, I view this as like buying an Audi R8 just to run down the block to pick up milk. What is needed for the OS, versus what is used, and what the phone comes with all should come into play in a buying decision.

Another source: https://developer.android.com/topic/...emory-overview

'For example, when a user first launches an app, a process is created for it; but when the user leaves the app, that process does not quit. The system keeps the process cached. If the user later returns to the app, the system reuses the process, thereby making the app switching faster.'

That indicates that the RAM is intended to be kept loaded in memory until it is needed later or deemed by the OS to be terminated.
    pizza_pablo and wilsodw like this.
    12-09-2018 06:43 PM
    Ok on the ram - but for instance - Ihad the S8 Plus before the Note 8. I "think"S8 plus was 4 gb, and note 8 was the first 6 gb is that correct. The Note 9 also has 6 Gb but Inotice this one and the Note 8, were snappier than the S8 PLUS. I use my phones pretty heavily and for a bunch of different things so I'm often moving around quite a bit in them.
    12-10-2018 07:22 PM
    I wasn't going to get the Note9. I have been happy with the Note 8 and from all I had read, there weren't enough upgrades to make me want to jump in with both feet...

Fast Forward to the past month. I had left my phone at the grocery store, at a bowling alley, and at a restaurant. Also during the last month, I have dropped my phone 4 times and a few lil drops. Once on the driveway, twice I slipped in the snow and last but not least, I knocked it off the desk and it hit the side of the dog bowl. Each time I left it behind or dropped it, I had the thought Oh well, I will just get the Note9... Well, The last drop into the dog bowl cracked the screen, So I went to AT&T first thing in the morning and got the Note9 128. Which brings me to my original question, Do you feel you made a mistake?

It has been under 48 hours and I am questioning my decision to get the Note 9... But I am questioning if I made a mistake by not getting the 512.

Because I had no interest in getting the Note 9, I didn't do any research on it. Since I got it, all I have been doing is research and I feel like I am on overload!

Some reports say the extra ram/storage doesn't make a difference. Some say it does, and some say you notice the difference but is it worth the extra money!

Since you have had yours, do you wish you would have gone with the 128 or 512 or are you happy with what you have (which is??)
    I still have time to return it and get the 512. My question is should I, will I regret it later down the road if I don't? This part is silly but I didn't get the blue because of the yellow s-pen but if I do get the 512, I am thinking of getting the Blue and returning the Black.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for your input!!
    What are your needs.
    A note 9 128gb phone with a SD card is a heck of a lot of phone.

How much of the 128 gb would you possibly use ?

Only you could answer this.
    12-10-2018 09:04 PM
43 12