Do you feel you made a mistake?

JimmieCD

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
Coming from Pixel 2, before that had the Note 4. The Note 9, IMHO, is a better phone. The call quality is better, bluetooth pairing is better. Very good speakers. I text quite a bit and the Note 9 with its larger keyboard is better for me. For what I do, the camera is good as the Pixel 2. And then there's the S Pen. I'm totally happy to be back with the Note. Pixel 2 is good but the Note for me is way better!

Last edited:

MysticalDreams

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I upgraded from a Note8 to a 128GB Note9 and I'm happy with the Note9. To be honest, though, I'd be reluctant to get any expensive device if I had a history of losing and dropping my phones.

I am normally very good with my phones (and any other expensive items that I carry) It's just the past month... My husband says my subconscious was telling me I have had this phone over a year... time to Upgrade!! lol

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I am normally very good with my phones (and any other expensive items that I carry) It's just the past month... My husband says my subconscious was telling me I have had this phone over a year... time to Upgrade!! lol
Yea - stuff happens. Especially when you're busy with a million things, etc :) My past Note 9 was a blue one - it was in a case on my road bike, I hit a rough patch of road going to fast and it went sailing through the air and bounced on the road. The phone itself was fine with no cracks, but two nice deep gouges down by the S-Pen.

Have a black Note 9 note through Sprint - have dropped I think twice so far, but not the sailing over handlebars - from a counter and related heights. Thankfully no issues. I just try to watch whenever I've got it. I like the Otterbox Defender case - though heavy, it's so easy to hold and feels secure, not like it'll slip out of my hand or anything.

MysticalDreams

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Counter question: How much storage was used versus what you had on the 8? If you only had 128 on the 8 and it was only 33% full, why pay more for extra space you most likely won't use?

I have an SD card that has 49 gigs used on it and the Note 8 has 22 gigs free (42 used)
The SD card is just movies, music, some pics and some random BS that doesn't matter... all of it is backed up...
With that being said, I can justify sticking with the 128 but I can also justify getting the 512 also

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Add a 128gb or higher card for a few bucks and you will feel better. How much storage did you use on the 8?

Based on your post I think you need to invest more into protecting your phone.... look at this way, if you bought the 512 you would be risking a more expensive device with all of your dropping, falling and forgetting... sheesh.

R

MysticalDreams

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Yea - stuff happens. Especially when you're busy with a million things, etc :) My past Note 9 was a blue one - it was in a case on my road bike, I hit a rough patch of road going to fast and it went sailing through the air and bounced on the road. The phone itself was fine with no cracks, but two nice deep gouges down by the S-Pen.

Have a black Note 9 note through Sprint - have dropped I think twice so far, but not the sailing over handlebars - from a counter and related heights. Thankfully no issues. I just try to watch whenever I've got it. I like the Otterbox Defender case - though heavy, it's so easy to hold and feels secure, not like it'll slip out of my hand or anything.

I can picture that... Guessing you came out of it OK?

I have a crappy case on it until my Samsung Flip case arrives. I went to Sh*t Buys yesterday to look at new covers. I like the flip cover, I have had one since my Note 2. The problem since the note 7 they flip cover blocks the camera if you open it VS the old over that had the window... The Otterbox is great for protection but its a lil too big for me. I was hoping I would like the LifeProof case but it didn't seem worth it to me.

I was very surprised the Sh*t Buys near me didn't have much of a selection. They had maybe 10 - 15 to pick from and most of it was just different colors. You turn the corner and there was 3 shelves front and back full of iPhone covers...

MysticalDreams

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Add a 128gb or higher card for a few bucks and you will feel better. How much storage did you use on the 8?

Based on your post I think you need to invest more into protecting your phone.... look at this way, if you bought the 512 you would be risking a more expensive device with all of your dropping, falling and forgetting... sheesh.

R

Since the original Note, I have had the Note, Dinc, Moto x, Moto Rzar Maxx, Note 2, Note 4, Note 7, S7 LGv20 and the Note 8. I have never dropped, cracked, lost or left behind any of them... This plus all the cell phones that I have had in the past dating back to a Nextel Brick with a 10 lbs battery pack!!

As I said, that was just the last month of mishaps...

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I can picture that... Guessing you came out of it OK?

I have a crappy case on it until my Samsung Flip case arrives. I went to Sh*t Buys yesterday to look at new covers. I like the flip cover, I have had one since my Note 2. The problem since the note 7 they flip cover blocks the camera if you open it VS the old over that had the window... The Otterbox is great for protection but its a lil too big for me. I was hoping I would like the LifeProof case but it didn't seem worth it to me.

I was very surprised the Sh*t Buys near me didn't have much of a selection. They had maybe 10 - 15 to pick from and most of it was just different colors. You turn the corner and there was 3 shelves front and back full of iPhone covers...
Yea, the black note 9 - not even a scratch anywhere on it. About to go hiking with the two huskies here soon this a.m. and will bring the phone along.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Counter question: How much storage was used versus what you had on the 8? If you only had 128 on the 8 and it was only 33% full, why pay more for extra space you most likely won't use?

RAM BABY!

I was researching the wife's next phone. I'm her "tech support" as she says and a phone junkie. My coworker tells others, "he is like a computer geek, but with phones".
I decided on the Note 9 for her. I got a barely mint 128 on Swappa. We just can't justify paying $1000 for a phone.
Through all of the research for choosing and setting up, I started to get enamored by it. It's a really great phone.
I thought I had the phone I really wanted. A Pixel 2 XL, but it did not impress me at all. Camera quality is not a big deal to me. As long as it takes pictures that can be seen, I'm good.
So, I was really digging the wife's Note 9 and all it could do and theming options and thinking that I would like one, if it could be rooted, but it can't, at least not in the US, AFAIK. I have had a rootable phone, since 2012.
Then I found out about the 512 GB version, WITH EIGHT GIGS OF RAM! It was game over. So I found a mint 8/512 on Swappa with a Whitestone protector and a bunch of cases (I'm also a huge case junkie), for only $150 more than the wife's 6/128.
I have been thoroughly impressed and have no regrets. Now I'm researching what all the S Pen can do.
Colour me happy!

Last edited:

Chromium 4

May 28, 2017
Visit site
I traded in my beloved Note 8 for half off despite all the naysayers and reviewers who termed it "not much of an upgrade." No doubt for many N8 owners this was true but for me the enhanced cameras, Energizer battery life, Dolby Atmos stereo speakers, increased reception power from stronger radios, more powerful processor and the new and improved S-pen were all worth it. This is the pocket computer of my dreams. 128 GBs of internal storage plus the expandable SD card options are more than enough for even the hardiest of downloaders. Use the extra money you would have spent for the 512 and use it to accessorize your current phone with cases, wireless chargers, screen protectors, VR headsets and so on. Enjoy the wonderful device that you already have.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Apps are getting bigger everyday and more resource intensive. If you plan to keep this phone 2 plus years, the 8/512 is more future proof so to speak. IMHO.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Apps are getting bigger everyday and more resource intensive. If you plan to keep this phone 2 plus years, the 8/512 is more future proof so to speak. IMHO.
Apps are getting bigger, but exponentially. Not to the point where a lower usage on 128 GB dictates doubling to a half a Terabyte.

The hypothetical situation of someone keeping a phone for over 2 years but still doesn't fill a 128 storage isn't really future proofing; it's closer to overspending.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Apps are getting bigger, but exponentially. Not to the point where a lower usage on 128 GB dictates doubling to a half a Terabyte.

The hypothetical situation of someone keeping a phone for over 2 years but still doesn't fill a 128 storage isn't really future proofing; it's closer to overspending.
Agree to disagree. I'm in it for the RAM not the room.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
RAM BABY!

I was researching the wife's next phone. I'm her "tech support" as she says and a phone junkie. My coworker tells others, "he is like a computer geek, but with phones".
I decided on the Note 9 for her. I got a barely mint 128 on Swappa. We just can't justify paying $1000 for a phone.
Through all of the research for choosing and setting up, I started to get enamored by it. It's a really great phone.
I thought I had the phone I really wanted. A Pixel 2 XL, but it did not impress me at all. Camera quality is not a big deal to me. As long as it takes pictures that can be seen, I'm good.
So, I was really digging the wife's Note 9 and all it could do and theming options and thinking that I would like one, if it could be rooted, but it can't, at least not in the US, AFAIK. I have had a rootable phone, since 2012.
Then I found out about the 512 GB version, WITH EIGHT GIGS OF RAM! It was game over. So I found a mint 8/512 on Swappa with a Whitestone protector and a bunch of cases (I'm also a huge case junkie), for only $150 more than the wife's 6/128.
I have been thoroughly impressed and have no regrets. Now I'm researching what all the S Pen can do.
Colour me happy!
More RAM is a double edged sword. Unused RAM is wasted. Android likes keeping RAM full, to help with bringing an app back into the foreground while still preserving battery power.

I would almost prefer to see Samsung further optimize their version of Android to make better use of the RAM already used.

h2ofun

Sep 7, 2017
Visit site
I have a note 8 and no way am I spending more money to upgrade this great phone until 5G is in the HW. Nothing I read on the Note 9 is worth upgrading, and we have 6 note 8's in the family. Most just are looking forward to the phone being paid off.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
More RAM is a double edged sword. Unused RAM is wasted. Android likes keeping RAM full, to help with bringing an app back into the foreground while still preserving battery power.

I would almost prefer to see Samsung further optimize their version of Android to make better use of the RAM already used.

I've not read this about RAM. Please share your resource for this info.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma