Likes and Dislikes of Android Pie & One UI so far...

Yguideslou

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Hello, folks,

So, I recently tried the Unlocked Pie & OneUI Beta... and immediately regretted it and switched back.

I'm going to list some of my likes and dislikes here, and encourage others to do the same. These thoughts may help folks decide if they want to try the Beta or not... or even take Pie & OneUI when they go live if certain hot buttons for them still don't work/supported.

I know we all use our phones differently, and things that are no big deal to some, are deal breakers for others. I'm going to list my likes and deal breakers if not fixed/added.

What if my deal breakers aren't fixed/added? I guess I'll just keep my phone on manual updates, (I do this for everything anyway... I like to see reviews of updates for a bit before I download them myself), and just never check again... hopefully that'll keep me on Oreo/Samsung Experience.

But you'll give up security updates !! <shrugs> Meh, my wife has an LG G4, (she simplly refuses to upgrade despite the fact that I have TWO better phones sitting in a drawer), and I checked it the other night and it's up to the latest available update... which was March of 2017. So, she's gone over a year with no available update, and no security issues so far.

But what about when you want to buy another phone and they come with the Pie OS and still have the deal breakers?

THAT is going to be an issue I admit... for sure, assuming my deal breakers aren't fixed/added, I'll be keeping my Note 9 for WAY longer than orginally intended, LOL... hardly a huge sacrifice, (I hate that camera cutout in the screen that rumors are showing now anyway, LOL).

Now, I'm going to list my likes last because frankly, I do like to end things on a positive note... note... see what I did there? BA DA BUM !!

Deal breakers... these issues weren't just a matter of "get used to them," as there were other "minor dislikes" that yes, I did not like them, but could get used to them, (not going to bother listing those here). These are issues that simply seriously impact the way I use, and frankly, enjoy, my phone.

In no particular order...

1) The setting to make your recent apps be just a stack of long, narrow, cards; List View, is gone. I used this because I can see all of my recent apps, and don't have to swipe through them.

2) Again, recent apps... there is no "close all" option. If you want to close them all, and I do like to do that, (no I don't need a lesson in RAM management or the "harm" I'm doing my OS by not allowing the OS to just manage my recently opened apps). So, now I have to swipe to close one at a time.

3) Navigation buttons. There is no option to hide them, and swipe up to show them again. It's either "here are your buttons," or that new gesture swipe option, that says it won't work with One Hand+, and that I'd have to turn it off. Well, I kept it on anyway, and it actually all works together... which is apparently not intended... a bug I would NOT want them to fix, LOL. However, if they actually don't want that app to work when you select gestures, and fix it, that's a deal breaker for me.

4) Goodlock doesn't work yet... yes, yes... it most likely will... but WHEN? How long would we have to wait for that to be compatible? I, like many here I think, love that app and have SO MANY things customized using it. I don't want to wait for it to be compatible, either now during the Beta, or when Pie/OneUI go live.

5) Samsung+ app keeps crashing. Whether I use the version in the Playstore, or the version in Galaxy apps, or the new APK you can find on the web, (the one I needed to use to get into the Beta, version 11.something), didn't matter... open it... crash... open it... crash.

6) Not sure how or why, I checked my font sizes and they didn't change, but font size in my widgets got bigger. Big enough in fact that in order to see everything on the widget, I had to make it bigger... and had to make them all big enough that I had to get rid of 6 app icons that I wanted to keep, but want to keep less than I wanted the widgets. Uh... WTF??

Those may seem minor and stupid to some, but they're major to me and I don't see Pie/OneUI offering anything that outweighs those items... so bye bye Pie/OneUI.

Now, onto the likes that impressed me, (meaning not everything I liked, just the ones that I went... "Wow... nice !!"

1) My FPS was always fast, (at least fast enough for my liking), but WOW !! the FPS in Pie/OneUI was NOTICABLY faster, like BIG TIME.

2) Intelligent Scan unlock... again... WHOAH DUDE !! Much, MUCH faster !! I mean, like fast enough I could actually use it because it was on par with the FPS unlock. Very good job there by whomever was responsible for that; Pie or OneUI... both? By the way, Intelligent Scan works just fine for me as is, whether I wear my glasses or not... it always unlocks just fine and fairly quickly too... just not as fast as my FPS does.

3) Very much like being able to have a dark/night mode without having to resort to downloading/buying a theme.

So, those were the only three WOWZAS to me. Not that there weren't other things I liked, they just aren't really worth mentioning here since this is long enough already, LOL.

Anyway, hope this helps some folks decide on whether to try Beta, (or Live release), or not.

Take care.

Last edited:

cknobman

May 15, 2018
Visit site
I'm on the beta and the close all in recent apps is there for me.
I like hiding the navigation bar and notification bar and the Samsung launcher has never provided that capability so I use Nova launcher. Works great!!
I reduced the font size and everything looks uniform for me.

I will say when I entered the beta I factory reset my phone and wiped the cache partition.
But I do this for all major os updates because it helps minimize update issues.

al3azim

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
The "close all" option is available on mine as well. As for the navigation buttons they might add the option to hide them but I think they are probably pushing the gestures option since that is a feature of Pie.

There are definitely issues with some apps running on this version but not sure if that is an App problem (developers have to update the app) or the beta problem. We will see with time and future revisions.

Yguideslou

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm... well I guess I just missed the "close all" button. I tried turning on and off suggested apps, thinking maybe those apps were covering it.

Good to know !! That's one down, LOL.

As for the show/hide nav bar. I'm referring to the little dot that appears on the far left that you can double tap to either hide/show on swipe, or always show. I don't think that's a Nova thing, though it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong... probably not the last either, LOL.

I do have Nova and was using it on the Beta, and never saw that little "double tap" dot... maybe my eyes were working as well as when I didn't see the "close all" in recent apps :)

Anyway, don't get me wrong, I am STRONGLY hoping they fix my "deal breaker" items... or at least only leave one... MAYBE two... and I'd be content to upgrade.

Thank you all for your replies. We'll see how this plays out and hope that Pie is "the answer" for all of us.

Take care.

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't have it and won't update to the stable version. Swift Installer works great without having to root. There is no way I am giving up that beautiful black theme.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
When I said selecting multiple photos with SPen is off, I didn't mean turned off. I meant that if I were to select 4 rows of pictures it would only select the top 3 rows.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Re: Likes and Dislikes of Android Pie &amp; One UI so far...

I hope you are all submitting these to Samsung so they are aware and can hopefully address issues before offical release.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I hate how I can't connect my watch, the app crashes as well as Samsung plus not working as well. I'm back on Oreo now and the phone works better.

It was working great before. I shouldn't have tinkered with it.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Would downloading Good Lock 2018 and running it get the "Close all" option with Task Changer? I don't know if the "Close all" was independent of the Task Changer and part of the OS but thought I'd mention worth a shot.

Need "close all" option in recent apps and selecting multiple photos with SPen is off.

JoBudden

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
not sure if someone already replied to the Samsung + app but there is a different app being used instead of the samsung+ app for the beta. it's called members something can't remember the rest

Yguideslou

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Would downloading Good Lock 2018 and running it get the "Close all" option with Task Changer? I don't know if the "Close all" was independent of the Task Changer and part of the OS but thought I'd mention worth a shot.

Goodlock 2018 doesn't work at all. If you open it, every app inside it; Task Changer, etc says it's not yet compatible.

Yguideslou

May 25, 2013
Visit site
not sure if someone already replied to the Samsung + app but there is a different app being used instead of the samsung+ app for the beta. it's called members something can't remember the rest

Yes, it is Samsung +, not Members. Members is outside the U.S., + is the U.S. version.

This is the version you need:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/...a-now-available-on-unlocked-note-9-in-the-us/

This article links to the above link. If you're concerned about the download being safe, you can read here first:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/...a-now-available-on-unlocked-note-9-in-the-us/

Hope that helps.

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Re: Likes and Dislikes of Android Pie &amp; One UI so far...

So far, there isn't a single thing that I don't like. Well, my battery feels like it's draining faster but this is a beta and I've been practicing the 40-80 thing so...

Last edited:

JoBudden

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae