Likes and Dislikes of Android Pie & One UI so far...

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
In early articles, they said they were providing the space at the top to move the relevant information closer to the bottom, to make it easier for one-handed operation! It does that, even if it does look like wasted space!
So, the extra space is supposed to make it easier to flick the notifications with my thumb perhaps? It looks so spread out but I guess I can see that. Don't think I had an issue with that before but I guess I'll get used to it. I feel like I have to scroll through more to see them all.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
A double tap vs 2 swipes vs a swipe and tap. Is it really that different?

Anyway as I said, there is a hidden double swipe action on the Samsung gestures. Force touch over home area then double swipe horizontally towards recent button.

Yes, it is different. On stock gestures all you have to do is move the 'pill'. Samsung's gestures don't have anything like it.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
After using it more - so far, the camera issues do seem to be fixed, but will hold out on that for a few more weeks to make sure it doesn't come back. Also - the battery life has definitely improved for me. I am pleased with it thus far - probably because the camera hasn't crashed..... yet. ;)

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
So I have had the update for at least a day. I'm still getting used to it, but here are some of my main criticisms.

Moving the notification clock is a bad idea and should have the option to fix it.

Space wasting in apps. Apps like the stock messaging app now has a gap at the at the top that says... Messages...

Stock email and messaging apps are not working with themes anymore.

Dark Mode does not work with themes, which makes it pretty useless

Settings are a bit too dumbed down for my tastes

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
So I have had the update for at least a day. I'm still getting used to it, but here are some of my main criticisms.

Moving the notification clock is a bad idea and should have the option to fix it.

Space wasting in apps. Apps like the stock messaging app now has a gap at the at the top that says... Messages...

What do you like about it? Asking cause I don't have pie yet.

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
What do you like about it? Asking cause I don't have pie yet.

Um... Well, the lock screen notification shortcuts versus the whole screen being cramped. That's about the only thing that I can think of.

In all honesty, if I could go back to Oreo, I would in a heartbeat. The theme store is completely worthless now that it doesn't work in most, if not all, stock apps. Auto brightness also doesn't work properly.

Enjoy the wait while you can. I wish I had known how bad this was before I updated.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Um... Well, the lock screen notification shortcuts versus the whole screen being cramped. That's about the only thing that I can think of.

In all honesty, if I could go back to Oreo, I would in a heartbeat. The theme store is completely worthless now that it doesn't work in most, if not all, stock apps. Auto brightness also doesn't work properly.

Enjoy the wait while you can. I wish I had known how bad this was before I updated.

Oh. Ok. Thanks for your thoughts and response. Oreo has been the best one so far that I've used.

Brad Bilger

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site

Well, I've had mine about 2 days now and I like it.

Moving the clock from one side to the other for me is not a big issue. It's still there, just moved.

Open space at the top of the messages app and settings... No biggie for me.

Stock email and messaging app not working with themes? Not an issue for me. I don't use someone else's theme. Everyone that I've seen in the store looks like bird droppings to me. I prefer to use my own wallpaper and my own arraignments.

Dark mode is totally NOT useless since I don't use prepackaged themes. Finally I got everything in dark mode without adopting someone else's "custom" theme.

My only gripe so far is that they haven't fixed the disaster of removing the option of custom text message tones. A feature that existed prior to Oreo. Please, don't refer me to the fix listed online or using other apps since none of those work with group messages and require you to never delete old messages.

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
I know what they're talking about and IMO it's first world problems. You still get two switch with two finger motions either way.
Anyway, the on the stock gestures, Force touch on home button area, swipe to recents position, then back and swipe again still works for switching to previous.

Um, we're in a thread about dislikes of software on a $1000 phone...of course it's first world problems. But this is the exact place to post them.

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Well, I've had mine about 2 days now and I like it.

Moving the clock from one side to the other for me is not a big issue. It's still there, just moved.

Open space at the top of the messages app and settings... No biggie for me.

Stock email and messaging app not working with themes? Not an issue for me. I don't use someone else's theme. Everyone that I've seen in the store looks like bird droppings to me. I prefer to use my own wallpaper and my own arraignments.

Dark mode is totally NOT useless since I don't use prepackaged themes. Finally I got everything in dark mode without adopting someone else's "custom" theme.

My only gripe so far is that they haven't fixed the disaster of removing the option of custom text message tones. A feature that existed prior to Oreo. Please, don't refer me to the fix listed online or using other apps since none of those work with group messages and require you to never delete old messages.

Cool, glad that it works for you. I have found that the Samsung Theme Store to be the best themeing experience I have had with an android device. The fact that Samsung's One UI does not work properly with Samsung's own Theme Store makes no sense.

Brad Bilger

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Cool, glad that it works for you. I have found that the Samsung Theme Store to be the best themeing experience I have had with an android device. The fact that Samsung's One UI does not work properly with Samsung's own Theme Store makes no sense.

Niether does altering the Contacts app so that there is no provision for Individual Text messages tones like there is for Individual Ring tones. Something that has existed since Lollipop and for some reason has gone missing in Oreo and now Pie.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: Likes and Dislikes of Android Pie & One UI so far...

I just want them to update good lock. I miss having my screenshot button on my navigation bar. With the help of swift installer I was able to get rid of that blue icons on the switches ( the bar before the notification shade. Not sure what it's called lol) . Other than that everything is fine with the update.

sibber

May 26, 2015
Visit site
Samsung galaxy 9
Hate that the alphabet tabs is gone from contacts - made navigation so much easier.
And the icons are an abomination - 6th grade design
Add to that - my alarms only sound for 1 minute. wading through settings trying to fix it. have already dealt with battery & DND

Bo21

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: Likes and Dislikes of Android Pie & One UI so far...

Swipe up in contacts and alphabet tabs appear.
Samsung galaxy 9
Hate that the alphabet tabs is gone from contacts - made navigation so much easier.
And the icons are an abomination - 6th grade design
Add to that - my alarms only sound for 1 minute. wading through settings trying to fix it. have already dealt with battery & DND

robinhelenehebert

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm using Smart Launcher 5 and gestures with that. I have custom wallpaper and icons and it's all good. Phone is fast...battery lasts all day. it's perfection.