Why is my note 9 still stuck for the November update?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

So I recently did a factory reset of my phone to try and solve some battery issues, but now after resetting it says that the November update is the latest, even though I was able to update it to the December update prior to this. I bought the phone in the Philippines and brought it with me to Taiwan for my studies.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
The AT&T December update has been pretty crazy - some people got it right away, some people got it a week later, some got it two weeks later? Check it every two or three days and try to remain patient... for some reason, this one is a strange one. I ended up side loading it from SD Card but don't recommend that as it causes ANOTHER Factory Reset!

wizo555

Dec 15, 2018
Visit site
The AT&T December update has been pretty crazy - some people got it right away, some people got it a week later, some got it two weeks later? Check it every two or three days and try to remain patient... for some reason, this one is a strange one. I ended up side loading it from SD Card but don't recommend that as it causes ANOTHER Factory Reset!
Hello this is the poster, i'm quite new to these things but i'm pretty sure my phone isn't an AT&T phone since I bought it at the local Samsung retailer store in the Philippines. I'm just wondering if unlocked phones offer slower updates and is dependent on the country, since I remember getting the December update before the factory reset, although I don't quite remember if I got the update before I went to Taiwan or after.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
From what I've been reading on here, the unlocked folks have been running behind the Carrier Locked folks on updates, so you are correct on that. Be patient... still not sure why you got it before and not now though!

Wbutchart

May 27, 2016
Visit site
Unlocked phones tend to get the updates slower than the carriers...however, in a few years when the carriers lose interest and stop pushing updates the unlocked ones tend to get a fair bit more.

applejosh

May 20, 2010
Visit site
It was explained to me through an email from Samsung (so take this with a grain of salt as I'm not sure the level of the person responding) that the unlocked updates are only released after all the carriers have approved the update (and then it's a staggered release so Samsung's servers aren't overwhelmed). So, I was told it didn't matter which carrier you were on if you had an unlocked phone; still had to wait until all carriers approved the update (hopefully just for your geographic region, but they didn't say).

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Pixel and those with plain vanilla Android dont have the modification Samsung makes with their firmware. A li so why with Samsung Project Treble hasn't changed security updates any faster.

Would be unusual for an update to be ready a week after it was released.

Reading tea leaves as to why or when would offer as many clues.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I think you are all missing the point... the person said they got the December update before erasing the phone and now it's stuck at November.

To answer the OP question... I dunno why you're phone is not showing the December update available after wiping it if you indeed had it before the wipe. I wouldn't think location would be an issue unless you're wifi or carrier is blocking that country it's trying to access update server.

Two things you can try... you can try using a VPN and choose a server in Phillipines? Or use Odin and flash an image for US unlocked software?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I think you are all missing the point... the person said they got the December update before erasing the phone and now it's stuck at November.

To answer the OP question... I dunno why you're phone is not showing the December update available after wiping it if you indeed had it before the wipe. I wouldn't think location would be an issue unless you're wifi or carrier is blocking that country it's trying to access update server.

Two things you can try... you can try using a VPN and choose a server in Phillipines? Or use Odin and flash an image for US unlocked software?

If he was in December how in the world factory resetting get him on November? The only way if he flashed back to November and cant update to December for some reason in Odin.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Dunno... he bought the phone in the Philippines and it came with November. He got the update to December, comes to US, erases phone and reverts back to November but doesn’t see December when checking updates... is that the gist of the issue?

I have yet to do a factory reset on my Note 8 since I bought it so going to Oreo and all the monthly updates I don’t know... is it suppose to retain all the monthly updates and erase to current month?

If so maybe he’s imagining he got December.

If he was in December how in the world factory resetting get him on November? The only way if he flashed back to November and cant update to December for some reason in Odin.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Dunno... he bought the phone in the Philippines and it came with November. He got the update to December, comes to US, erases phone and reverts back to November but doesn’t see December when checking updates... is that the gist of the issue?

I have yet to do a factory reset on my Note 8 since I bought it so going to Oreo and all the monthly updates I don’t know... is it suppose to retain all the monthly updates and erase to current month?

If so maybe he’s imagining he got December.

If he's on December no factory reset will change it back to November , so unless he flashed the phone that's the only way I can see him going back to November, or like you said he didn't realize he was on November all along.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
If he's on December no factory reset will change it back to November , so unless he flashed the phone that's the only way I can see him going back to November, or like you said he didn't realize he was on November all along.

That's true - I didn't even think of that when I answered him originally! There's no way!

wizo555

Dec 15, 2018
Visit site
Regarding that issue, I do remember seeing an update prior to leaving the Philippines that got downloaded although I wasn't really able to check out what the update version was. I suppose the basis for this question was, while monitoring if my battery issue had been solved, I noticed that the device maintenance which previously needed mcafee to be on to reach 100% was now reaching 100 without needing to activate it, so I assumed I was on the latest update prior to the factory.

eglasam

Feb 1, 2019
Visit site
Got a Note 9 from an online store here in UAE, when i checked it has a November 2018 version and device is from Philippines.

My office mates who got their Note 9 from retail shop already got the Android Pie update last week. My Note 9 is still on November and i am checking everyday in the settings/ software update ..it kept on saying its the latest version.

My device is N960F...and open line (unlocked).

Any particular reason why its not updating?