Just got the December Security Patch

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
I've come to the realization when I had my Note 8 these Updates are what they are if you haven't a Pixel. Just fix the things they say it fixes. I don't expect Pie in January either from Sprint. Phone working excellent and that's what matters right now.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I thought Note 9 Pie is supposed to be released in February after the S9 in January? Or did that change.

I believe pie will be released in some regions and beta testers somewhere in January, probably carrier models wont see it until February.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
On tmobile my November 1 came on November 23. This December 1 hasn't come yet. I doubt it'll fix my camera freezing, I think that might have to wait for Pie.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
On tmobile my November 1 came on November 23. This December 1 hasn't come yet. I doubt it'll fix my camera freezing, I think that might have to wait for Pie.

I'm surprised, camera update came in November patch for TMobile . I think pie update going fix most of the problems people seeing on Oreo.
How often you camera crashes?

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm surprised, camera update came in November patch for TMobile . I think pie update going fix most of the problems people seeing on Oreo.

Nope. Didn't fix a lot of them.
https://us.community.samsung.com/t5...te9QuestionsandAnswers/thread-id/1541/page/73

Mine freezes way too often to count. I've even powered off and it freezes. That was a suggestion. I don't think a new phone should have to be reset. My Note 8 never froze.
I think it took the picture, then realize it just froze.
A few times it crashed.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure which update you're referring to. There's a November 1 security patch, but security patches have nothing to do with the camera or any non-security aspects of the phone. There were also two T-Mobile firmware updates in November (ARJ8 and ARK1), one of which includes camera "improvements" (such as better low-light pictures) but does not purport to address the freezing problem, and it has been widely reported that the freezing problem was still present after those updates.

Elsewhere in the world, there is now an ARL1 firmware update that purports to address unspecified "camera stability" issues. There are rumors that it might fix the freezing problem, but as far as I've seen, no one with that firmware has yet confirmed that the problem is fixed.

But this thread is about a security patch, so any camera issues are unrelated and belong in a different thread.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Nope. Didn't fix a lot of them.
https://us.community.samsung.com/t5...te9QuestionsandAnswers/thread-id/1541/page/73

Mine freezes way too often to count. I've even powered off and it freezes. That was a suggestion. I don't think a new phone should have to be reset. My Note 8 never froze.
I think it took the picture, then realize it just froze.
A few times it crashed.

Yeah I can understand how frustrated you could be , I didn't have this issue with the camera. I know you dont want to factory reset your device but if its happening that often I would definitely try that .

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I can understand how frustrated you could be , I didn't have this issue with the camera. I know you dont want to factory reset your device but if its happening that often I would definitely try that .
Dozens of people have tried that and reported that it does nothing to fix the problem. Why waste a lot of time and effort on something that we already know is ineffective?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm not sure which update you're referring to. There's a November 1 security patch, but security patches have nothing to do with the camera or any non-security aspects of the phone. There were also two T-Mobile firmware updates in November (ARJ8 and ARK1), one of which includes camera "improvements" (such as better low-light pictures) but does not purport to address the freezing problem, and it has been widely reported that the freezing problem was still present after those updates.

Elsewhere in the world, there is now an ARL1 firmware update that purports to address unspecified "camera stability" issues. There are rumors that it might fix the freezing problem, but as far as I've seen, no one with that firmware has yet confirmed that the problem is fixed.

But this thread is about a security patch, so any camera issues are unrelated and belong in a different thread.

Well since people were having the issues with the camera we all knew Samsung was supposed to come with the fix. October and November was rumored when those fixes supposed to happen.

I dont know what you trying to get at but even the original poster talking about improvements to camera fixes and other related things, plus I was responding to the other person camera issue . So yeah I think I'm into the discussion about the topic.

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Ok. My advice would be different, but I see your point.

I've heard from all the forums what people have tried , but everyone's device from carrier,to exynos or snap dragon version are different . It might not work but if I had that issue I would not hesitate to try. If you have any advice you can share it also might help .

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I've heard from all the forums what people have tried , but everyone's device from carrier,to exynos or snap dragon version are different . It might not work but if I had that issue I would not hesitate to try. If you have any advice you can share it also might help .
Unfortunately I don't think the problem will be resolved unless and until Samsung releases a firmware update that fixes it. It's possible that ARL1 is that update, but we don't know yet. In the meantime, since everything anyone has tried has failed, my only advice would be not to spend time on it. On the other hand, I understand that someone might be frustrated enough to want to try, even if there's not much chance of success.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Unfortunately I don't think the problem will be resolved unless and until Samsung releases a firmware update that fixes it. It's possible that ARL1 is that update, but we don't know yet. In the meantime, since everything anyone has tried has failed, my only advice would be not to spend time on it. On the other hand, I understand that someone might be frustrated enough to want to try, even if there's not much chance of success.

I had to dig around but found it
The update in October and November did help some people with camera freezes. So if your on December update I would try factory reset.

Attachments

• 1430.jpg
    1430.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 152

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I had to dig around but found it
The update in October and November did help some people with camera freezes.
It's tricky because almost any update, or factory resetting, or simply rebooting, has been reported to make the problem stop temporarily for many people. But I've seen most of them come back later and say the problem returned. And I haven't seen anyone come back later and say that the problem was still gone after several days. (It could be that someone did and I missed it, though.)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It's tricky because almost any update, or factory resetting, or simply rebooting, has been reported to make the problem stop temporarily for many people. But I've seen most of them come back later and say the problem returned. And I haven't seen anyone come back later and say that the problem was still gone after several days. (It could be that someone did and I missed it, though.)

Whatever it is going on I just hope these note 9 owners experiencing the camera problem gets fixed so they can start enjoying how good the camera is .

Last edited:

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Well, still no December patch (ATT/128) and no camera update that Samsung Support on their forum has said is being propagated out currently that is supposed to fix the camera freezing. It's gotten so bad for me too that I have resorted to using an iPhone XSMax to take my photos during the holidays because it was too risky to lose any more shots trying with my Note 9 like I did during Thanksgiving. I really don't know how great the Note 9 camera can be - and next month the S10 is going to be unveiled so I doubt Samsung is really paying this much attention at this point since it's not happening for all folks.

Rebooting, cleaning partition cache, force stopping the Camera app, clearing the data/cache for the app - are all temporary fixes and in my case, it's so temporary that it'll crash again after just taking a few photos. I've had the Note since the first Note (still have it), and every iteration except for 5 - and this is the most disappointed I've been with the phone. Yeah, even with the Note 7. The Note 10 is probably about under 9 months from being available for pre-order and I still can't reliably take photos. LOL

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Well, still no December patch (ATT/128) and no camera update that Samsung Support on their forum has said is being propagated out currently that is supposed to fix the camera freezing. It's gotten so bad for me too that I have resorted to using an iPhone XSMax to take my photos during the holidays because it was too risky to lose any more shots trying with my Note 9 like I did during Thanksgiving. I really don't know how great the Note 9 camera can be - and next month the S10 is going to be unveiled so I doubt Samsung is really paying this much attention at this point since it's not happening for all folks.

Rebooting, cleaning partition cache, force stopping the Camera app, clearing the data/cache for the app - are all temporary fixes and in my case, it's so temporary that it'll crash again after just taking a few photos. I've had the Note since the first Note (still have it), and every iteration except for 5 - and this is the most disappointed I've been with the phone. Yeah, even with the Note 7. The Note 10 is probably about under 9 months from being available for pre-order and I still can't reliably take photos. LOL

Question does using another camera app or ported pixel cam give same problem?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae