Updates question on unlocked

Mathrania

Jul 3, 2017
Visit site
Hi, i bought Note 9 from Samsung so not tied to a carrier here in Canada. I use Rogers services though. My question is, the updates that come to my phone comes from Samsung or when my carrier Rogers pushes it?

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
You will it from Samsung directly but that means waiting until most if not all carriers gets it 1st.

So just sit, kick back, and relax.

iFortWorth

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I love me some Samsung and Android. But for the love of God Google needs to do something about the OS update process. Hopefully this Project Tremble will help.

Wbutchart

May 27, 2016
Visit site
The updates come direct from Samsung on unlocked models. This means a few things...

Security updates are generally slower than carrier, not by much by Samsung tends to wait until it knows all carriers are using it without issue and then we get it, generally days later.

Major updates, ie to pie are quicker than on carrier. For instance the s9 upgrade to pie is now out for unlocked devices in a fair few countries. I would be surprised if carriers are pushing it out by mid January.

We generally get slightly longer term support for security updates. Carriers naturally lose interest in security updates as devices age, Samsung tend to support for 3 years and then sporadic beyond that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781