Night Sight for Note 9

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Interesting...does this work on on unrooted phone? I have an unlocked Note 9 but it is not rooted.

And can you easily revert back to the original app if it doesn’t work well or you lose something?

Thanks,
R

Joe Falco

Oct 29, 2018
Visit site
My note is stock. One you follow the XDA link and set it up as defined, you'll have two camera apps. You can use either one without affecting the other.

iFortWorth

May 16, 2013
Visit site
These too were all taken with the Pixel Camera referenced above. ATT Note 9. Works very well. Very dark conditions too

bd72cf4d4b54f83c39ef332ace3fe515.jpg
89b738f70411853b22d9e2fc9018331e.jpg

Chromium 4

May 28, 2017
Visit site
Here's another little known feature of the ported Gcam: If you use Google Assistant's voice command, you can say "Ok Google take a picture" and a 3-2-1 countdown will be initiated and it will automatically snap a picture. It also works for "Take a selfie."

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I actually think it does a better job than on my pixel 2xl. Maybe because of the 1.5 sensor. I'll have to do more side by side tests.

berfles

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
This is awesome. Not only does it work in pitch black scenes but even less than pitch black look better and more detailed than the stock camera. I will definitely post comparisons in a bit.

EDIT: Ok, so maybe not pitch black, but it's still much better. Here are two links to full size photos with the same lighting.

Stock camera:

3e4YKll.jpg

Pixel camera:

OAMovcZ.jpg

Make sure you view full size if you want to see them that way.

And in this one the only lighting is coming from my monitor with a dark background:

Stock camera:

4qNP8Jw.jpg

Pixel camera:

CUKGBkG.jpg

The one is a lot noisier but I can barely make the word "Bourbon" out with the naked eye, so it's pretty dark.

And while this one may not seem like a huge difference at first, make sure you view full size and look at the logo in the middle.

Stock camera:

zPGKSAg.jpg

Pixel camera:

UfkUsNZ.jpg

EDIT: Guess I can just crop the above detail.

Stock camera:

pFGC2eJ.jpg

Pixel camera:

dnrPJqF.jpg

It's late so I can't do much more right now, but I'll be testing this a lot more tomorrow.

So far the only issue I have is that the viewfinder in the Pixel camera is so dark I often can't even see what I'm aiming at, while the Note 9 viewfinder does a much better job of brightening the scene to see what you're doing.

Last edited:

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
So far it seems like the only time it takes better pictures is in low-light. The regular note 9 app seems to take more clear and brighter pictures in just regular day-to-day pictures. See below, will test portrait mode later.
Pixel cam IMG_20181228_010335.jpeg Note 9 cam 20181228_010222.jpeg

berfles

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
So far it seems like the only time it takes better pictures is in low-light. The regular note 9 app seems to take more clear and brighter pictures in just regular day-to-day pictures. See below, will test portrait mode later.

That's because the Pixel camera is locked at f1.5 on the Note 9, if they could fix that as well I'd probably use it much more but since the Pixel 3 only has one lens I doubt it's even possible to make the software recognize dual aperture. As is, I'll only use this for messing around and the novelty of it all.

berfles

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Also, my god the portrait mode is 100x better in the Pixel 3's camera app. Not even close, if only it worked for everything and not just faces.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Also, my god the portrait mode is 100x better in the Pixel 3's camera app. Not even close, if only it worked for everything and not just faces.
Wow, I will definitely be testing it this weekend. I hope it is as awesome as you say! Right now I'm still just very impressed with night site.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech