SHOULD I unlock my Note 9!!

OJsakila

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm on AT&T and I was looking on my AT&T app and there was a notification that I'm eligible to unlock my phone since I paid in full last month.
What are the benefits/negatives about unlocking my phone. It appears I can do this in couple button pushes.

Thank you everyone.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The only benefit of unlocking the phone is that if you put in a Sprint, TMobile or Verizon SIM, it will accept it. (Or a SIM from one of their MVNOs.) They're talking about SIM-unlocking, nothing else. (Of course, if you travel out of the county, it will accept SIMs from carriers in other countries as well.) If you're going to Europe (Band 32(1500)) or Latin America (34(2000)) it will be missing one band (for each one), otherwise it will be okay.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Definitely would unlock it. If you plan to sell it in the future, it will reach a much broader audience being unlocked. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

OJsakila

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
The only benefit of unlocking the phone is that if you put in a Sprint, TMobile or Verizon SIM, it will accept it. (Or a SIM from one of their MVNOs.) They're talking about SIM-unlocking, nothing else. (Of course, if you travel out of the county, it will accept SIMs from carriers in other countries as well.) If you're going to Europe (Band 32(1500)) or Latin America (34(2000)) it will be missing one band (for each one), otherwise it will be okay.

This is The answer.
Thank you. I'll base my decision on this information.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You're welcome. (And what Amy said too - some people would prefer to have a choice of carriers, and in the US, it will work on all of them.)

OJsakila

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
You're welcome. (And what Amy said too - some people would prefer to have a choice of carriers, and in the US, it will work on all of them.)

Will I get the Ota update quicker unlocked? I'm still on atts November update. I would like Pie asap

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084