Do you get insurance?

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't. The cost for one screen replacement is cheaper than buying something on every phone I've had. And since I've never had one phone damaged in 18 years I think I'm safe to say its not worth it for me.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I've dealt with SquareTrade before -- had to get my wife's Pixel XL screen glass replaced. Very quick turnaround (sent it out on a Tuesday, got it back on Thursday), and the repair job was flawless. Definitely a good idea for used or refurbished phones that don't have the full manufacturer warranty.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I've had squaretrade before and had to use it and it was great.

The only thing is I don't think they cover loss or theft.

anon(10509503)

Aug 21, 2018
Visit site
SquareTrade but never had to use it. More for peace of mind seeing how I paid $1250 for the device. Only $129 for 2 years and $99 deductible it's hard to beat but like others have said it doesn't cover loss or stolen.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Depends on your financial situation, if you have the money, then you don't need the insurance...if you don't, then you may not need the $900 smart phone.
Yup. In the long run, on average, it always costs more to buy insurance than to self-insure (otherwise, insurance companies would go broke instead of making a profit). The only time insurance makes sense is to cover an event that's extremely unlikely but would be financially catastrophic and irrecoverable if it did occur.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I use to go through tmobile for insurance on my phones about 3 years ago s7 edge had a issue and the insurance refused to warranty it because I swapped my sim card out of the device. After that I never put insurance on any of my phones again.
they said it's not the number registered with that device.

Michael Detwiler

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Yup. In the long run, on average, it always costs more to buy insurance than to self-insure (otherwise, insurance companies would go broke instead of making a profit). The only time insurance makes sense is to cover an event that's extremely unlikely but would be financially catastrophic and irrecoverable if it did occur.
Bingo. Save enough money to self-insure.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I usually never get insurance and I don't have it on my Note 9 or S9+.

The only phone I've ever got insurance on lately is my iPhone XS Max. Apple will replace the phone if it's damaged, lost or stolen. Doesn't mater if it's the same phone number the phone was registered with since it's the phone no matter what.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I usually never get insurance and I don't have it on my Note 9 or S9+.

The only phone I've ever got insurance on lately is my iPhone XS Max. Apple will replace the phone if it's damaged, lost or stolen. Doesn't mater if it's the same phone number the phone was registered with since it's the phone no matter what.

With a phone as expensive as the iPhone XS Max, I would get insurance on it too! Wow, that's some good customer service from Apple right there!

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
No.
I usually buy used from swappa and am self insured.
I've replaced an ear piece speaker, on a Motorola phone, using a Google video. It went well.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Usually, by the time you break your phone, there are already newer ones out, and the one you have can be bought used with warranty from many sites. If insurance was a net gain for customers, they wouldn't offer it, or they would raise the price. Invest in a case and screen protector.

KJ78

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
yes I have insurance. bought a. note 4 years ago and got it replaced with a new note 9 as a replacement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith