Favorite Note companion device.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I had the galaxy watch and returned it. Fitness tracking was off and the calories burned figure just bizarre, apparently a 1.5 mile walk burns about 900 calories! I also had issues with tap to pay and I'm in the UK so it's not due to MST or lack thereof.

I've tried a few now and imo the watch situation on Android is way inferior to Apple, if you've used an apple watch you will be disappointed I think. It reminds a little of iOS Vs Android 5 or 6 years ago, plenty of functionality but lacking polish.

Maybe I'd find non wear/tizen (e.g. Garmin or Fitbit) better?

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I have Garmin Fenix Chronos and it's extremely accurate with step and pretty sure the calories are pretty close too. I use with the Scosche Rhythm 24 heart rate monitor (armband) during runs and CrossFit workouts which give a very accurate heart rate too. You can't beat a Garmin for any fitness tracking IMO.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
S3 Frontier for MST and the all black finish. Was going to get the Galaxy Watch until I saw the two tone finish of the larger model and no MST. Decided to replace the battery in my S3 Frontier and gave it new life again.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I picked up a Galaxy 46mm Watch today for a decent deal. Not sure I'm in love with it. Seems like a significant amount of work to do most functions. Today was a crappy day at work driving forever in horrible road conditions and then dealing with know it all coworkers might have altered my mood enough to not care. lol

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
So the Ticwatch pro arrived, very nice and unlike the Galaxy watch offers google pay and seemingly accurate fitness tracking. I also found some nice watch faces. The second screen is a nice feature but I find the transition quite jarring and it is also really hard to look at the second screen without triggering the main one which kind of defeats the object of it.

The issue though is that it is pretty sluggish throughout which does ruin it and as a result I am considering sending it back. If I send it back though I am not sure what the alternative is as it seems like most wear OS watches even those running 3100 are sluggish.

I do not want much from a smartwatch but I am starting to think that the apple watch is the only one that really works. The Galaxy watch was fast enough but Tizen is just too limiting app wise, payments are restricted to Samsung pay and there is no loyalty/store card support (if I have to use my phone to scan my Starbucks card then I may as well use the phone to pay!)

Ah!!!

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
So the Ticwatch pro arrived, very nice and unlike the Galaxy watch offers google pay and seemingly accurate fitness tracking. I also found some nice watch faces. The second screen is a nice feature but I find the transition quite jarring and it is also really hard to look at the second screen without triggering the main one which kind of defeats the object of it.

The issue though is that it is pretty sluggish throughout which does ruin it and as a result I am considering sending it back. If I send it back though I am not sure what the alternative is as it seems like most wear OS watches even those running 3100 are sluggish.

I do not want much from a smartwatch but I am starting to think that the apple watch is the only one that really works. The Galaxy watch was fast enough but Tizen is just too limiting app wise, payments are restricted to Samsung pay and there is no loyalty/store card support (if I have to use my phone to scan my Starbucks card then I may as well use the phone to pay!)

Ah!!!

I have a Ticwatch E and it is slow to turn on. May be a deal breaker.

My favorite smartwatch is a Samsung Gear 2 Neo running Android Wear 1.5. The best of both worlds. Android ecosystem with good hardware.
Sadly, it is dying. Very sadly.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I love my Bluetooth galaxy watch but the two sets of cheap/discounted Spigen Bluetooth earphones are excellent too, hardly ever use my Dex dock

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site

Ah!!!

Update:

I changed animations to 0.5x in developer settings and disabled all the mobvoi apps and it feels much better, worth trying for anybody else who has one.

Still weighing up whether to return or not. I could live with Samsung pay over Google pay on the galaxy watch but would miss other apps like stocard.

In the meantime while I ponder I am using an Apple watch , I was previously fed up with iOS and almost 100% android but I have to say with the Apple watch I am actually really enjoying the iPhone again. I'm sure it will pass!

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Galaxy watch for me, works flawlessly and the apps that you can install are great.

Is fitness tracking accurate on yours? Mine was way off in the short period I had it and Samsung support forums are full of people saying their step counting does not track properly.

Knightmayre90

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site
Is fitness tracking accurate on yours? Mine was way off in the short period I had it and Samsung support forums are full of people saying their step counting does not track properly.

I've never delved into it that much but when i watch it live, it does seem to keep track. Sleep patterns are recorded well too. Seems fairly accurate. But I will keep my eye on it.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I've never delved into it that much but when i watch it live, it does seem to keep track. Sleep patterns are recorded well too. Seems fairly accurate. But I will keep my eye on it.

I did not test steps but I did notice calories being way off in the day or so I had mine e.g. a 1.5 mile walk burning 850 calories apparently, if only!

39 page support thread here.... https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-Watch/New-Galaxy-Watch-does-not-count-steps/td-p/384843

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I just got a gear s3 frontier from my sister. I called att and they told me that I could put the data plan and phone number I have attached to my tablet on to the watch. What are the benefits of doing that ? Does it make that much of a difference from me getting my notifications through using Bluetooth ? I'm seriously new to the smart way game. If my sister hadn't bought another one and gave me this I'd probably still be just contemplating buying one for 3 more years.lol

Bob31464

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I just got a gear s3 frontier from my sister. I called att and they told me that I could put the data plan and phone number I have attached to my tablet on to the watch. What are the benefits of doing that ? Does it make that much of a difference from me getting my notifications through using Bluetooth ? I'm seriously new to the smart way game. If my sister hadn't bought another one and gave me this I'd probably still be just contemplating buying one for 3 more years.lol

I've had the same same watch with and without LTE. I ended up turning off the LTE because I never needed it, I always had my phone with me. It will only be of use if you want to leave your phone and just use your watch, there is no difference in use if your phone is with you or within reception of the watch, about 30 ft. Hope this helps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX