Questions before purchase

chris2busy

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Dear all,

Good evening.
I made this thread a few days ago in order to decide which droid to buy in order to switch from ios.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/buyers-guides/937806-making-os-switch.html

ANd i am pretty much set on the note 9. I just gotta ask a few stuff from ppl that already own the device.. it costs 1k € after all .
1) i saw on the shop it takes quite a while between camera shots .eg i shoot a pic and it takes 1-2 seconds to take the next, no matter how fast i hit the shutter button. Is this adjustable ? Some auto mode oddity?
2) how are device temperatures for normal operation? Ie surfing,messaging etc ? I had a s7edge and would reach 30 degrees just by browser use. While my iphone 6s plus keeps stone cold for simple stuff. Very important for me. How is the note 9?
3) does anyone here play “clash royale” ? How does it impact the battery on the note 9? It really destroys mine on the 6s plus

robinhelenehebert

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi! Well I've had the device for a few days...the only lag regarding the camera was in a specific app I use for audits but not in the regular camera app. I have not noticed the phone heat up at all...

Beansr519

Nov 28, 2018
Visit site
No phone heat up for me

i dont realy use the camera all that often...

but i do Game! i have a few games on my phone and compared to my old 8+, this battery holds up way better!

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Don't do much mobile gaming, but I have ran fortnite on my Note 9 and it doesn't heat up as much as my S7 does playing it.

I haven't experienced this slow down between camera shots you mention, seems on par with other Samsung phones and my Nikon and Canon cameras. If you're trying to take rapid shots it should be done in burst anyway.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Dear all,

Good evening.
I made this thread a few days ago in order to decide which droid to buy in order to switch from ios.

ANd i am pretty much set on the note 9. I just gotta ask a few stuff from ppl that already own the device.. it costs 1k € after all .
1) i saw on the shop it takes quite a while between camera shots .eg i shoot a pic and it takes 1-2 seconds to take the next, no matter how fast i hit the shutter button. Is this adjustable ? Some auto mode oddity?
2) how are device temperatures for normal operation? Ie surfing,messaging etc ? I had a s7edge and would reach 30 degrees just by browser use. While my iphone 6s plus keeps stone cold for simple stuff. Very important for me. How is the note 9?
3) does anyone here play “clash royale” ? How does it impact the battery on the note 9? It really destroys mine on the 6s plus

I'm not having issues with my note 9 with camera or anything with heating up from day to day usage but any intensive games will make any phone feel little warmer .

chris2busy

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Don't do much mobile gaming, but I have ran fortnite on my Note 9 and it doesn't heat up as much as my S7 does playing it.

I haven't experienced this slow down between camera shots you mention, seems on par with other Samsung phones and my Nikon and Canon cameras. If you're trying to take rapid shots it should be done in burst anyway.

Good to know! It is just that, at the shop i tested them side by side with the huawei mate 20 pro and the huawei took shots as fast as my finger could hit the button..while the note 9 maybe 1 per second.. might aound like nit picking but if you capture moving objects (my lovely daughter moves like the wind) this is a biggie.

bbgpsuser

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
Good to know! It is just that, at the shop i tested them side by side with the huawei mate 20 pro and the huawei took shots as fast as my finger could hit the button..while the note 9 maybe 1 per second.. might aound like nit picking but if you capture moving objects (my lovely daughter moves like the wind) this is a biggie.

Did the demo unit have the option enabled to preview the picture immediately after you took it?
Or possibly it had a very slow micro-SD card and was saving the pictures there.

If you need to take quick sequential shots, just hold down the button. It will take them rapid fire.

TMavC5

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
No phone is perfect, there will some flaws that people dislike. N9 is awesome IMHO. If you can afford the phone and you like the phone. GET IT!!

1-Awesome Screen
2-Great battery
3-Great Camera

Each to their own experienced, they will like what they like. Everyone uses their phone differently, you'll never going to get a perfect answer until you experienced it. That's just IMHO.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site

Played around with it some more, I see what your talking about, in auto it grabs focus and exposure again between shots so there is a slight delay. Still faster than anything else I've used, and it lets me tap faster in pro. Makes me wonder how the software in the Huawei handles things, it may just snap more photos without locking exposure and focus each time. Either way burst mode shoots 20 plus frames a second and is intended for situations like your kid.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
My N9 doesn't get hot st all. As far as the camera, mine also takes 1-2 seconds between shots. I don't know if there I'd a way to speed it up.

Wbutchart

May 27, 2016
Visit site
Dear all,

Good evening.

Hi I can help with 2 and 3.

2 - stone cold with general use, and videos etc seems to breeze through that kinda thing.

3 - good taste in games! Been playing royale for two years, what you at trophy wise? I'm clinging to around 4.3k...if I see freeze one more game....but back to question. The phone handles royale and all mobile gaming really well. It does hit the battery a bit but not massively. IE I play a fair bit, use the phone for browsing, reading, playing rise of civilization too and it generally makes it through a day. With fast charging too it's not too concerning, even if you are trophy pushing hard, to know 30 mins on the charger and it's over 60% charged...that makes some difference to how I use my phone and think of the battery.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I play Clash daily, internet browsing, brawl stars, video streaming, audio streaming and messaging and I get 7.5-8 hours Screen On Time daily. Phone runs from 6:30 AM - 11:00 PM without charging and I've not depleted it beforehand yet. Doesn't get hot ever. Also I know what you mean for the camera. There is a slight lag but I don't think it's quite a second. I just rapid fire by holding down and get exactly what I need.

chris2busy

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
All great news for me!! Looks like i am getting the note 9 after all ! I guess i can keep patient till s10 comes out in a few days, that may bring the note 9 price down a bit

Wbutchart

May 27, 2016
Visit site
All great news for me!! Looks like i am getting the note 9 after all ! I guess i can keep patient till s10 comes out in a few days, that may bring the note 9 price down a bit
The S10 might bring the note price down which is a bonus. But honestly, it won't be a comparison to the note. With the pen, the screen, the battery life, and no notch or hole in the screen, this phone is the best we will get sanity wise in the next good while.

chris2busy

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
The S10 might bring the note price down which is a bonus. But honestly, it won't be a comparison to the note. With the pen, the screen, the battery life, and no notch or hole in the screen, this phone is the best we will get sanity wise in the next good while.

Yep...no doubt. Plus i hear that the “plus” version of the s10 is gonna be 1600 euros. A true race to madness. I only care to nail the note 9 cheaper tbh. I can barely justify the price as is, to myself.

Wbutchart

May 27, 2016
Visit site
Yep...no doubt. Plus i hear that the “plus” version of the s10 is gonna be 1600 euros. A true race to madness. I only care to nail the note 9 cheaper tbh. I can barely justify the price as is, to myself.
Yeah, they are crazy expensive. I managed to get mines at a good quick fire sale price in the UK. Still more expensive than I should be willing to pay mind you!

I agree about the pricing of these new phones. They need to calm down and head back to the 700 range. With the notches and holes in the screens too...I have no interest in that. I genuinely don't mind the top and bottom lip on the current galaxies, the hole on the other hand, not a fan of that.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power