09-12-2019 12:00 PM
47 12
tools
    Well, bringing up possible flaws in the idea isn't a bad way to approach my question or the scenario. Anyone who is thinking of doing this and see some of the issues, might give it a second thought.

A couple ideas have been brought up that I didn't consider. @cckgz4 bringing up the mobile site idea is one for example. One probably could request the desktop site, but that might get to be a pain in the beginning.
    I get that. I'm just laughing at people posting the gaming/creators rigs and you obviously mentioned that in your OP.
    01-25-2019 09:50 AM
    Do people even read the OP.
    How's the battery life when you use Dex?
    01-25-2019 09:51 AM
    How's the battery life when you use Dex?
    Did you mean to quote @Xxtoxicskittlexx? They were the one to try Dex.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    01-25-2019 10:12 AM
    Did you mean to quote @Xxtoxicskittlexx? They were the one to try Dex.
    Yes.. my bad tag wrong person
    01-25-2019 10:15 AM
    When I use the HP Lap Dock it charges at the same time. If you mainly use Dex at home I'd recommend using the DeX pad or dock so you can keep the Note 9 charged while you use it.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    01-25-2019 10:24 AM
    NFW I'm giving up my Linux powered Lenovo laptop.
    01-25-2019 08:23 PM
    I get that. I'm just laughing at people posting the gaming/creators rigs and you obviously mentioned that in your OP.
    Posting the picture is a pretty good answer as to whether I can ditch my computer for my Note 9 or not though, isn't it??? I just thought that was a quicker way of answering the question... I LOVE my Note 9... but there's obviously (by the picture) NO WAY it's going to replace my PC!
    Can you ditch your computer for a Note 9?-laugh_1a.jpg
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    01-26-2019 12:08 AM
    Yes.. my bad tag wrong person
    Battery life charges with the cradle and charges steady. Pretty good on that front except DeX UI keeps freezing and locking up. I pretty gave up on it because it's useless. The most basic stuff like having email, text messages, and internet open starts choking it. No wonder why in official demos they only show using one app at a time.
    mustang7757 and Golfdriver97 like this.
    01-26-2019 09:30 AM
    Battery life charges with the cradle and charges steady. Pretty good on that front except DeX UI keeps freezing and locking up. I pretty gave up on it because it's useless. The most basic stuff like having email, text messages, and internet open starts choking it. No wonder why in official demos they only show using one app at a time.
    Thanks for the feedback
    Xxtoxicskittlexx likes this.
    01-26-2019 09:38 AM
    obviously (by the picture) NO WAY it's going to replace my PC!
    I'm in the same boat. Even if gaming is removed from the equation, I still do several things at the same time on multiple screens.
    jimd1050 likes this.
    01-26-2019 10:24 AM
    I saw this article on TechRadar yesterday: https://www.techradar.com/news/can-i...e-9-smartphone

He lays out a pretty detailed scenario of where a Note 9 with the Dex desktop accessory, can potentially remove the need for a laptop, or even desktop PC.

Now, obviously, depending on one's situation, this may not be feasible; gamers, graphic designers, and video editors obviously are excluded. But this could be an option for most other people.

Anyone doing this or have thought about this?
    I have a port and cable to light off DEX mode and have messed with it some, but I don't see it happening, just yet.
    01-26-2019 11:20 AM
    I have a port and cable to light off DEX mode and have messed with it some, but I don't see it happening, just yet.
    But, it is a step in the proper direction to make it happen. I don't want to say this is a step in the right direction as there is no right or wrong in this kind of scenario; it will either work or not, depending on use case.
    01-26-2019 11:26 AM
    But for most people, DeX is enough
    My entire point was that for most people DeX isn't enough to be the only computer. It's a good companion at best in my eyes, most people still have need for a real desktop OS at times.
    jimd1050 likes this.
    01-26-2019 01:37 PM
    My entire point was that for most people DeX isn't enough to be the only computer. It's a good companion at best in my eyes, most people still have need for a real desktop OS at times.
    Exactly, although I need it a lot less frequently than I used to, and I do a LOT on my phone that I used to do on a PC.
    A laptop is still indispensable for my work though.
    01-26-2019 02:40 PM
    Wow....I don't think I have ever had a thread with so many replies. Sweet!
    mustang7757 and jimd1050 like this.
    01-26-2019 03:04 PM
    Wow....I don't think I have ever had a thread with so many replies. Sweet!
    It's a great topic to talk about that haven't heard besides you posting it.

They keep fine tuning it and stay with it Samsung may have something on their hands, as of now it won't replace computers but I think in a jam can work out but needs sometime to settle in and get better like anything else it takes baby steps to get better .
    01-26-2019 03:27 PM
    Exactly, although I need it a lot less frequently than I used to, and I do a LOT on my phone that I used to do on a PC.
    A laptop is still indispensable for my work though.
    This morning, I could not print a word doc from my laptop, on my wifi network, but got it done from my phone. \_0_/
    jimd1050 and mustang7757 like this.
    01-26-2019 04:06 PM
    I have a PC at work that take care of anything I can't do on the phone, the 2 laptops at home arent getting much use from me anymore, my partner use them when he is having morning coffe and his phone
    rest of the day
    jimd1050 and mustang7757 like this.
    01-26-2019 04:20 PM
    This morning, I could not print a word doc from my laptop, on my wifi network, but got it done from my phone. \_0_/
    I actually do that more than I care to admit... because it takes more effort to go down to my basement office and turn on the PC just to type something up than to do it sitting on the couch with the Note 9 and just send it off to the printer! I still have to walk down and get it but no firing up the PC and software, etc.
    Can you ditch your computer for a Note 9?-thumbs_up.jpg
    mustang7757 likes this.
    01-26-2019 04:39 PM
    Absolutely NOT !
    jimd1050 likes this.
    01-26-2019 10:01 PM
    DeX is hugely useful. Here is @Office365 running on a touchscreen dock for Samsung Note 9 using Samsung DeX. The touchscreen also allows signature capture capability too.

09-12-2019 11:25 AM
    It's not gonna happen for me. Just not quite the same.
    09-12-2019 12:00 PM
47 12