Can you ditch your computer for a Note 9?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I saw this article on TechRadar yesterday: https://www.techradar.com/news/can-i-really-ditch-my-pc-for-a-samsung-note-9-smartphone

He lays out a pretty detailed scenario of where a Note 9 with the Dex desktop accessory, can potentially remove the need for a laptop, or even desktop PC.

Now, obviously, depending on one's situation, this may not be feasible; gamers, graphic designers, and video editors obviously are excluded. But this could be an option for most other people.

Anyone doing this or have thought about this?

Wbutchart

May 27, 2016
Visit site
I'm going to try it soon. Waiting for my office to get sorted then I'll be trying this out. I've tried it on TV screen etc and it seems to do the job well.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
My dad is the only person I can think up that could ditch windows entirely, even my mom needs it because she has a fancy digital sewing machine, she's pushing 60.

Personally I think Dex looks cool, has it's usefulness, but windows PC is still king. I am however a gamer and designer/photographer.

dfwfreaks

Jan 24, 2019
Visit site
My dad is the only person I can think up that could ditch windows entirely, even my mom needs it because she has a fancy digital sewing machine, she's pushing 60.

Personally I think Dex looks cool, has it's usefulness, but windows PC is still king. I am however a gamer and designer/photographer.

But for most people, DeX is enough

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'll admit, I couldn't. I have a modest collection of video games, and some things I do on the forums I have grown accustomed to having more than one display.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to try it soon. Waiting for my office to get sorted then I'll be trying this out. I've tried it on TV screen etc and it seems to do the job well.
I am to an extent. I am probably 95% pc free. But I will never be completely free of a computer or laptop.
I'll admit, most people probably could do this. The question is, do they know about Dex, and if they do, would they?

Wbutchart

May 27, 2016
Visit site
I'll admit, most people probably could do this. The question is, do they know about Dex, and if they do, would they?
That's the big question, it's possible, but in practice how convenient is it. I'll be trying it out soon hopefully. With word, accordance Bible, internet and email, I'm kinda good to go. That's the theory.... I'll feedback the reality.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I saw this article on TechRadar yesterday: https://www.techradar.com/news/can-i-really-ditch-my-pc-for-a-samsung-note-9-smartphone

He lays out a pretty detailed scenario of where a Note 9 with the Dex desktop accessory, can potentially remove the need for a laptop, or even desktop PC.

Now, obviously, depending on one's situation, this may not be feasible; gamers, graphic designers, and video editors obviously are excluded. But this could be an option for most other people.

Anyone doing this or have thought about this?

I let my computer do computer things and my phone do phone things makes my life easier that way dont need a hybrid phone lol

Can it possibly but lol.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I use the HP Lapdock with DeX at home almost exclusively.
I can access my work via Citrix VDI so don't really have the need for a computer.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I let my computer do computer things and my phone do phone things makes my life easier that way dont need a hybrid phone lol

Can it possibly but lol.
I guess the double edged sword to the scenario is how much of a bigger hit does the battery take? And then the cost of replacement batteries comes into play.

Xxtoxicskittlexx

Aug 22, 2018
Visit site
I tried to just use DeX for everything like office related docs, emails etc but I gave up because it just keeps crashing. All the time. Just gets stuck and requires me to remove it. Not sure why that is.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000