Download correct version
Rename your downloaded file to update.zip
Move to SD card
Turn off phone
Turn on device holding Bixby and volume up
Release once logo pops
Update from SD pick update.zip
Done
Be patient and let update load plug in device.
You now have Pie.

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I want to do the unofficial update you all are doing, but I think I'll just be patient and wait for the official Verizon release.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
guy's please read through the process again it's very simple , I knew some of you dont know how use Odin to flash so gave this option as it's the safest to do and you can have pie , nothing to worry about you will continue getting updates from your carrier as this firmware is universal to all carriers .

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Same here, I'll just wait for Verizon to release it no matter how long it takes.

Any action from Verizon this morning?

Nothing. The first time I checked an hour or so ago it seemed to take longer, but ended up coming back with no update. The second time was much quicker.

kashabrown

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Just to add to what Mustang has already stated. This update that is out there to be installed (in lieu of waiting for VZW) is the update you will receive from VZW after they are through testing, certifying, etc. There is no difference. You can wait for the official update, but, again, there is no difference whatosever - meaning you won't be "missing out" on anything and the method that is being used to update whether you wait or do it now is exactly the same process - but Verizon automates it for you.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Bugs will likely be flushed from this update and other things will be worked out. Waiting just makes more sense.

No bugs will be flushed out , if this firmware has bugs so will Verizon until the next version gets fixed

Your getting it earlier then Verizon roll out and being privilege to it

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Your just not understanding it

Oh I totally am. But if this was how it was supposed to be, then each carrier wouldn't bother releasing their own software. One would release it and then people would just load it onto an SD card and flash it. So stop pushing people to do something that makes no sense. Seriously. You look silly.

Iceystreeeet

Feb 6, 2019
Visit site
guy's please read through the process again it's very simple , I knew some of you dont know how use Odin to flash so gave this option as it's the safest to do and you can have pie , nothing to worry about you will continue getting updates from your carrier as this firmware is universal to all carriers .

Its literally simple as Pie. If you have questions please tag me I am from XDA and I do alot of Dev work for roming/ rooting samsung devices since the Samsung Galaxy came out. This is nothing but an update if you download the wrong version it won't update you cannot brick your device it doesnt have high enough access to overwrite any root files etc.

I'm watching this topic please let me know or tag me I'd be happy to assit.

Iceystreeeet

Feb 6, 2019
Visit site
Oh I totally am. But if this was how it was supposed to be, then each carrier wouldn't bother releasing their own software. One would release it and then people would just load it onto an SD card and flash it. So stop pushing people to do something that makes no sense. Seriously. You look silly.

Bud it's a CSAAA update its universal, it super easy and more then likely you will be waiting until March 1st to get pie as January security update was published side loading means you manually apply a update as long as it's a universal version which this is the Samsung official version for USA carriers.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Where did i say you must do this ?
they didn't want to wait I gave them a option .
Seriously you look even more foolish making a comment like that

Last edited:

ksharp

Jan 25, 2019
Visit site
Thanks to all you who are trying to help us (mustang1157, iceystreeeet and others)... but I understand some concerns that people have, I have been an Android user since the first days and have been with just about every carrier at some point and have had about every flagship device through the years (too many to name) and have gone through lots of these kinds of updates.

My question is if the carriers are given the firmware to test and check for compatibility then if and when they discover any would'nt they delay the update until a fix could be determined otherwise what would be the purpose for the testing period? Also, on a carrier level how much access do they have to tweak and make changes to the firmware for implementation on their network?

I realize the rush by some carriers to be the first to push the update but sometimes those are the ones that are putting their customers into a beta testing role for the device on their network and I have felt like I been there a couple of times and then after being so anxious for a major update to only find regret that I jumped in too soon.

Like most, I use my phone as an essential part of my job and if it is not working then I have trouble doing what I am paid to do.

Thanks for you help though and please keep up the contributions I do enjoy reading them and they are helpful.

Iceystreeeet

Feb 6, 2019
Visit site
Bugs will likely be flushed from this update and other things will be worked out. Waiting just makes more sense.

Bro, Name is Icey I'm a XDA developer who has over 18 years experience in working with Samsung devices.

Listen to me closely,

0. This is an update not a rollout
1. CSAAA update is the official version by Samsung.
2. No bugs are in this update due to samsung releasing and testing for the past six months.
3. Carriers dont get to change firmware anymore the updates come directly from the dev's
4. I am sorry you do not know how to do this but I can promise you it works.
5. Stating nonsense on the threads doesn't help others here.
6. Verizon wireless, at&t wireless, sprint, tmobile all use the same version of pie CSAAA which is a universal version.

Again the next update is not due by Samsung until March which will be updating the one UI again and possibly pie. So please stop saying will work out you sound crazy.

No offense.

Icey

Iceystreeeet

Feb 6, 2019
Visit site
Thanks to all you who are trying to help us (mustang1157, iceystreeeet and others)... but I understand some concerns that people have, I have been an Android user since the first days and have been with just about every carrier at some point and have had about every flagship device through the years (too many to name) and have gone through lots of these kinds of updates.

Update coming from developers are done in house and then sent as batch updates to carriers. This allows for full transparency and allows for quicker releases. As android has changed over the years so have the processes.

My question is if the carriers are given the firmware to test and check for compatibility then if and when they discover any would'nt they delay the update until a fix could be determined otherwise what would be the purpose for the testing period? Also, on a carrier level how much access do they have to tweak and make changes to the firmware for implementation on their network?

Updates are coming from developers not carriers anymore carriers were taken forever so universal updates should be common going forward.

I realize the rush by some carriers to be the first to push the update but sometimes those are the ones that are putting their customers into a beta testing role for the device on their network and I have felt like I been there a couple of times and then after being so anxious for a major update to only find regret that I jumped in too soon.

Most updates are tested by developers for a duration using betas with international users etc.

Like most, I use my phone as an essential part of my job and if it is not working then I have trouble doing what I am paid to do.

Your phone will go into maintenance mode which is brand new to alot of people this means you can manually push an update however the update has to match if it doesn't it wont install as it does not have root to overwrite anything.

Thanks for you help though and please keep up the contributions I do enjoy reading them and they are helpful.

See my answers above. This is literally failsafe everyone.