Verizon- pie update?

PhreddMears

Oct 28, 2018
Visit site
The few times I have used this Asst, including this time, it pulled whatever the most current official release Verizon was pushing out. It gives you no option to choose what firmware is being loaded.
The repair function is meant to revive a phone that won't boot. We are merely taking advantage that ARL1 happens to still be the release version.

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
CSAA is the official universal update for pie. This was released to US carriers by Samsung. Now it looks like a new security update has come out as well this doesnt mean anything.

CSB3 is the new security patch for february as US carriers are always messing with **** it looks like Verizon is going to be pushing pie CSAAA with CSB3. Same thing Tmobile is doing. It's like dumb and dumber and dumbest have made your lifes miserable.

So they are packaging the CSAA with CSB3 from the looks of it your getting pie plus the security patch.

XDA dev
Icey

PS sorry my Verizon was off we only predict what we know things change all the time especially US carriers always messing with stuff.

Any new prediction?

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
The few times I have used this Asst, including this time, it pulled whatever the most current official release Verizon was pushing out. It gives you no option to choose what firmware is being loaded.
The repair function is meant to revive a phone that won't boot. We are merely taking advantage that ARL1 happens to still be the release version.
So I'm thinking if, like me, you've already side loaded CSAA and are worried you want get the Verizon release of CSB3 or whatever they release, this would be a great way to get back on the official Verizon firmware.

I think I'll wait it out and decide on the best path forward after we see what happens with the Verizon update. It could be that an OTA download installs without issue. If not, running this should get me to where I'd want to be. No harm, no fault, and definitely no regrets.

PhreddMears

Oct 28, 2018
Visit site
Very true. I rolled back in hopes the Verizon OTA was imminent but certainly no harm in waiting. One thing I already miss from Pie is having the navigation bar minimized and just using swipes.

Iceystreeeet

Feb 6, 2019
Visit site
These statements are incorrect. First, CSAA is not the "official universal" update for Pie. T-Mobile, for example, never released a CSAA update; their official Pie update is CSB3 instead.

Second, CSB3 is not just a security patch (although a security patch is one of the things it includes). It has other changes as well. In particular, it fixes the compass, which CSAA had broken (which is presumably why T-Mobile waited for CSB3 rather than releasing the earlier broken firmware).

You are very misinformed....

PhreddMears

Oct 28, 2018
Visit site
USB mode has to be set to System Update prior to Asst being started. Plug in phone to PC swipe down on phone notification area. You should see notification for USB and additional settings item. Select that and you will get list of USB modes. Will include file transfer, charge phone only, system update among a few others. It has to be on system update.

p5200

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
I downloaded from the link and my Antivirus blocked it from installing I'm using Bitdefender may, just need to figure out how to set the Antivirus to allow it.

Had to disable an Antivirus setting for a couple minutes then, the install went on fine.

bassjo

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
So here's a question regarding us Verizon customers who were "early adopters" of pie, (and I know at the moment it's a great big unknown) but whenever Big Red decides to push out the pie update that may or may not include any security patches are we just left in the dark or is there a way to get back on track without having to wipe the device and start over? Sorry if this had been covered previously.

TheGuyUpNorth

Feb 20, 2019
Visit site
As reported by Mustang. There will likely be a way once the firmware for Sprint and ATT are pushed. That will give a path from CSAA to the new version. Similar to the way we did the OTA sideload to begin with. I assume once this is done we will be up to snuff to resume receiving security updates.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
As reported by Mustang. There will likely be a way once the firmware for Sprint and ATT are pushed. That will give a path from CSAA to the new version. Similar to the way we did the OTA sideload to begin with. I assume once this is done we will be up to snuff to resume receiving security updates.

Correct ..

bassjo

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info

TheGuyUpNorth

Feb 20, 2019
Visit site
I honestly followed the directions listed for the Verizon upgrade assistant and walked the repair right to the point it was about to wipe. Then backed out so I would not lose pie. Once pie drop (hopefully this week), the assistant appears to grab what Verizon has posted on its servers. Thus this would be pie. Yes, your phone will be reset and fresh. That's not all that bad. If you back it up to you sd card in advance using smart switch, things will not be that bad.

Iceystreeeet

Feb 6, 2019
Visit site
Correct ..

Honestly they could do two things

Push a CSAA update on top of the monthly security patch
Or push the security patch and CSAA together with new build number which seems to be what they are doing.. I'm on Verizon and I have the CSAA update installed since it came out no issues here pie have been a great update to android base.

XDA dev
Icey

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Honestly they could do two things

Push a CSAA update on top of the monthly security patch
Or push the security patch and CSAA together with new build number which seems to be what they are doing.. I'm on Verizon and I have the CSAA update installed since it came out no issues here pie have been a great update to android base.

XDA dev
Icey

True..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams