jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. They snuck in a fix?
Nope! I tried mine right after I read the post and sure enough, working! I sat there staring at it thinking, how the heck - all of a sudden, it slowly starts creeping clockwise and stops at due east! It stayed North for about 90 seconds, maybe 2 minutes! I have not seen an update either (AT&T)

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Probably come in next security update some fixes.
Security updates have nothing to do with the device's sensors. The compass may or may not be fixed in the next firmware update, which may or may not also include a security update.

But it took Samsung five months to fix the camera-freeze problem that many users were having, so it's not at all clear that they will promptly fix the compass.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Security updates have nothing to do with the device's sensors. The compass may or may not be fixed in the next firmware update, which may or may not also include a security update.

But it took Samsung five months to fix the camera-freeze problem that many users were having, so it's not at all clear that they will promptly fix the compass.

Security updates do come with fixes

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Security updates do come with fixes
No. Firmware updates may come with fixes, and may also come with security updates, but those are two different things.

​You can find detailed, comprehensive lists of what's in Android and Samsung security updates here:
https://source.android.com/security/bulletin/2019-01-01.html
and also here:
https://security.samsungmobile.com/securityUpdate.smsb .

If you read through those, you'll see that they describe nothing but security patches. Any other fixes are in a separate part of the firmware update, and are not part of the security update.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
No. Firmware updates may come with fixes, and may also come with security updates, but those are two different things.

​You can find detailed, comprehensive lists of what's in Android and Samsung security updates here:
https://source.android.com/security/bulletin/2019-01-01.html
and also here:
https://security.samsungmobile.com/securityUpdate.smsb .

If you read through those, you'll see that they describe nothing but security patches. Any other fixes are in a separate part of the firmware update, and are not part of the security update.

December security patch for note 9 came with camera fixes

Attachments

• 1223.jpg
    1223.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 52

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
December security patch for note 9 came with camera fixes
No. The ARL1 firmware update included both the camera fix and the December security patch, but those are two separate things.

If you follow the links I sent, you can see everything that was in the December security patch. None of it has anything to do with the camera.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
It came with security update..
What do you mean?
A firmware update sometimes includes feature fixes but no security update.

A firmware update sometimes includes a security update but no feature fixes.

A firmware update sometimes includes feature fixes and a security update.

But the fixes and the security update are two separate things. They might both come in the same firmware update, or they might not.

In the case of your screenshot, you're showing the ARL1 firmware update. It includes camera fixes, and also--completely separately--it includes the December security update. The camera fixes are not part of the security update.

I think maybe you're mistakenly thinking of the whole firmware update as a security update. But it's not--a security update is just one part of a firmware update. And some firmware updates don't even include the security part--sometimes, a firmware update will be at the same patch level as the previous firmware.

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
A firmware update sometimes includes feature fixes but no security update.

A firmware update sometimes includes a security update but no feature fixes.

A firmware update sometimes includes feature fixes and a security update.

But the fixes and the security update are two separate things. They might both come in the same firmware update, or they might not.

In the case of your screenshot, you're showing the ARL1 firmware update. It includes camera fixes, and also--completely separately--it includes the December security update. The camera fixes are not part of the security update.

I think maybe you're mistakenly thinking of the whole firmware update as a security update. But it's not--a security update is just one part of a firmware update. And some firmware updates don't even include the security part--sometimes, a firmware update will be at the same patch level as the previous firmware.

I understand security updates are separate, but when Samsung sends a security updates it can come with other fixes ...they dont wait for a OS update to bring other fixes , when they send a security update they may have other fixes and wrap it all in one package to send with the security update.
You understand what I mean ?

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I understand security updates are separate, but when Samsung sends a security updates it can come with other fixes
Yes, or Samsung can send a firmware update with those fixes and with NO security update. Because even if a security update is also included, the fixes aren't IN the security update (you wrote "Probably come IN next security update some fixes").

The only point I'm making is that you can have the fixes without any security update, because the two things have nothing to do with one another, even if they often happen to be included at the same time. So the firmware fixes don't have to wait for any security update.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes, or Samsung can send a firmware update with those fixes and with NO security update. Because even if a security update is also included, the fixes aren't IN the security update (you wrote "Probably come IN next security update some fixes").

The only point I'm making is that you can have the fixes without any security update, because the two things have nothing to do with one another, even if they often happen to be included at the same time. So the firmware fixes don't have to wait for any security update.

Me saying next security update because that's how they send other fixes together...very rare they only send just a firmware update out without security/fixes
Cool so we both understand each other.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Cool so we both understand each other.
Let's just hope they fix it soon. :) Though frankly I'm much more concerned with the new camera problem--Pro Mode for videos is important for serious use of the camera. I'd rather not move to Pie until both of those problems are corrected. Nothing in Pie is worth a broken compass and a downgraded camera.

Bildriver

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
Concerning my note 9 compass. Flat on table, whacked about 90 degrees,pick it up at about 30 degrees off table and it's right on. Checked with my hunting compass and it's just about perfect. Kinda wierd but at least I know it's functional.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12