Gestures or the buttons...?

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I love the gestures. I use Nova, I've made use of gestures with Nova for years. I also use one hand operation thru good lock.

For those that are having issues with Samsung pay, why don't you just have that turned on in lock screen only. Use one handed operation for Samsung pay. You can use Nova also, they have all kinds of ways for gestures, 2 finger up, 2 finger swipe sideways, swipe up and down, even double tap, which I use to turn screen off.

cknobman

May 15, 2018
Visit site
Gestures for me.

I only use Samsung Pay from the lockscreen and it works great.
Why would I want to have to unlock my phone every time I want to use Samsung Pay anyways?

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
Gestures for me.

I only use Samsung Pay from the lockscreen and it works great.
Why would I want to have to unlock my phone every time I want to use Samsung Pay anyways?
It's more about not having to lock your phone if you have it out and are using it when you want to access Samsung Pay.

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
I had seen people talk about the swipe right for the most recent app (accomplishing what the double-tap used to do), but could never get it to work. Finally figured out I needed gesture hints on for it to work (which seems a bit odd). Not as clean as having them hidden which I would prefer, but it's nice to have the functionality back (even if it does seem a bit slower than the old double-tap).

Mojave

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I had seen people talk about the swipe right for the most recent app (accomplishing what the double-tap used to do), but could never get it to work. Finally figured out I needed gesture hints on for it to work (which seems a bit odd). Not as clean as having them hidden which I would prefer, but it's nice to have the functionality back (even if it does seem a bit slower than the old double-tap).

I have the gestures hints on and still doesn't work.

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm thankful for the choice, as in, not having it shoved down our throats. I've tried gestures twice now and gone back to the buttons each time. For me it is just easier to tap the screen and move on.

I'm also a fan of having the option to change the swipe to answer an incoming call to a tap to answer or reject the call. Less motion, more efficient.

It's good to have choices.

cknobman

May 15, 2018
Visit site
It's more about not having to lock your phone if you have it out and are using it when you want to access Samsung Pay.

I just use the app drawer or an icon on the home screen.

I turned off the ability to swipe up for it a long time ago as it got in the way.
Since I use Nova and the swipe up gesture is used for opening my app drawer its all gravy.

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site

I turned off the ability to swipe up for it a long time ago as it got in the way.
Since I use Nova and the swipe up gesture is used for opening my app drawer its all gravy.

My preference would be they allow the swipe up on the fingerprint to work without having to have the SP tab at the bottom. It's all or nothing for home screen now.

TheWounded

Nov 27, 2018
Visit site
Just today I turned on gestures, had my note since launch date.
I forgot how nice it is too use gestures.
On my oneplus 6 I always used gestures, don't know why it took so long to turn them on, on my Note.

Bob31464

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I've been using the gestures for awhile now and just couldn't get the feel for it so I went back to the buttons. I'm glad that there are choices.

Last edited:

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
I have gestures used to the buttons. Though there are still a few problems with using them with Nova that I keep forgetting to message them about.

sonnnet

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
I have gestures used to the buttons. Though there are still a few problems with using them with Nova that I keep forgetting to message them about.
That's interesting. I use Nova and full gestures and haven't encountered any problems?

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
That's interesting. I use Nova and full gestures and haven't encountered any problems?
From the home screen, if I swipe up for recent apps, the most recent goes to the right of the screen and not in the center. On Samsung launcher, it's in the middle. Also, on Samsung launcher when you swipe right from center (home) gesture it allows you to toggle back and forth between the two most recent apps (like double tap on recents used to so). On Nova, it just scrolls back through all of your recent apps chronologically (does not toggle back and forth).

The last one is not as big of a deal, but the Samsung pay bar does not disappear when you swipe to screens left or right of your home screen or when the app drawer is open. This interferes if you want to swipe up to return to your home screen.

Mojave

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
From the home screen, if I swipe up for recent apps, the most recent goes to the right of the screen and not in the center. On Samsung launcher, it's in the middle. Also, on Samsung launcher when you swipe right from center (home) gesture it allows you to toggle back and forth between the two most recent apps (like double tap on recents used to so). On Nova, it just scrolls back through all of your recent apps chronologically (does not toggle back and forth).

The last one is not as big of a deal, but the Samsung pay bar does not disappear when you swipe to screens left or right of your home screen or when the app drawer is open. This interferes if you want to swipe up to return to your home screen.

Using Nova also. I agree with you on the issues with Nova. To go back and forth between my two recent apps I had to download an app called One Hand Operation+ from the Galaxy store. This resolves that issue while using Nova. Many people have been complaining about Nova gestures not working properly with Pie.

As for Samsung Pay bar you can hide it on your home screen. I have it only showing on my lockscreen.

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
Using Nova also. I agree with you on the issues with Nova. To go back and forth between my two recent apps I had to download an app called One Hand Operation+ from the Galaxy store. This resolves that issue while using Nova. Many people have been complaining about Nova gestures not working properly with Pie.

As for Samsung Pay bar you can hide it on your home screen. I have it only showing on my lockscreen.

I am aware that you can hide SP bar completely from home screen, and I have done that. However, I'd prefer to not have to do that, as sometimes I like to go to SP from my home screen. If Nova operated as it should and hid the bar when the app drawer was open or when I go to my other screens, this would not be a problem. (Also would work if Samsung would allow SP Finger print swipe while having bar hidden, but it's all or none. Either way, still an issue with Nova).

Back to gestures more generally, it's annoying that Nova has not yet fixed the issues. At first, I thought it was a strange implementation from Samsung, and then I switched away from Nova, and saw it was their fault

Last edited:

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

For me, it seems easier to get to Sam Pay with one hand, even if phone is locked, with SP on the home screen.

Fingerprint to wake phone and get to home screen/Fingerprint swipe up to open SP/Fingerprint to login to SP.

With SP on the lockscreen, press post button with thumb or forefinger (depending on which hand the phone is in) / store lockscreen from easy down at the bottom (while awkwardly holding phone or use other hand to compete this task) / Fingerprint to login to SP.

The latter process seems like it would be more likely for me to drop the phone.

I'm using Nova and standard navbar on Oreo, so no gestures for me. I did use gestures on Pie, on a Pixel 2 XL and OG Pixel XL, prior to this Note 9 and did not care for them. The biggest issue being with recent apps. I use double tap recents to switch between apps often and I never seemed to get the hang of the slide right to switch recents. I like the vertical list for recents as opposed to the horizontal cards, anyway.
I prevented pie on purpose, because I am not at all interested in its added "features".

gyounk

Sep 9, 2017
Visit site
iPhone X made me love gestures. Note9 and OneUI made me love gestures more. I even try to use the back gesture on my iPhone X by accident which does not work. Haha

Apple add oneui gestures!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy