The option to hide the navigation bar has disappeared. Why? how can i get that option back?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

The small button on the left bottom has disappeared and I am no longer able to make the navigation bar disappear. how can I get this back. note 9

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Yet another reason not to update to Pie.
What they call a 'feature', I call a loss of functionality. How is it an 'upgrade' if you lose something you had?
Surely both options could be had.

Spawnlives

Nov 16, 2018
Visit site
Don't know if it helps but hidding the navigation bar on pie without gestures is possible. It leaves 3 small bars down the bottom of the screen and all you do is swipe up on the bar to either go to recently,home or back.( Depending on the bar you swipe )

Option is in settings - display - navigation bar - select full screen gestures

If you want to hide the three bars on the bottom turn off gesture hints.

Hope this is what you meant.

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
Don't know if it helps but hidding the navigation bar on pie without gestures is possible. It leaves 3 small bars down the bottom of the screen and all you do is swipe up on the bar to either go to recently,home or back. ( Depending on the bar you swipe )

Hope this is what you meant.

Um, you have just described gestures.

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
I agree. When I call a feature a gimmick, it's usually because it only works part of the time, or it's buggy. That's not the case with the gestures, it works good.

Being a gimmick has nothing to do with reliability of function. It has to do with adding a feature that is just new or different (intended to get attention), but doesn't really add anything to the user experience. So if somebody feels gestures are no better than the buttons (or worse), then it would make sense to describe it as a gimmick. Now, of course, if you content it does improve usability, then it would not be a gimmick.

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
So every other swipe action you do on your phone do you consider it as part of the gesture action.

For the navigation bar, you'll notice the options are Navigation buttons or Full screen gestures. And others were pointing out that you could not keep the buttons and still hide the navigation bar as you previously could. What you recommended was enabling the full screen gestures, thus no longer using the buttons from before.

Last edited:

gomcse

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
All this. I'm frustrated by this loss of functionality. I want the Nav bar until I don't. Gestures kinda suck because if your screen doesn't correctly recognize your swipe, you hit wrong things...
Yet another reason not to update to Pie.
What they call a 'feature', I call a loss of functionality. How is it an 'upgrade' if you lose something you had?
Surely both options could be had.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
It got removed because it was never part of Android to begin with. Samsung was just implementing it as a toggle to go between immersive mode and normal mode views. The problem being Google pulled the rug under them and replaced the navbar to have navbar or gestures option. So the old code for the immersive mode toggle doesn't work anymore. People have tried reenabling the code through ADB but it's not as seamless as before.

At the end of beta test, Samsung did acknowledge this complaint in their report and said that it would see to bringing it back. But again it's not as simple as simply slapping it on again. They have to recode the toggle for immersive mode and slap it on top of Google's navbar code, instead of before they just had to add another button pointing to an already existing functionality.

Whether or not they'll be able to bring it back soon is up in the air though.

covard

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Um, you have just described gestures.

When you replied to "Spawnlives" comment regarding hiding the nav bar is not completely accurate. "Spawnlives" should have actually said "IS POSSIBLE, but not without gestures."

Once you have done this, there is an option below to turn off the "gesture hints."

Now you don't see the small navigation bar with the three hint lines in it.

This is what I wanted to have, since the nav bar shows up with a white background on my docking clock, and it won't brighten up the room at night when my screen is very, very dimmed.

Thanks, to you, Spawnlives.

Spawnlives

Nov 16, 2018
Visit site
When you replied to "Spawnlives" comment regarding hiding the nav bar is not completely accurate. "Spawnlives" should have actually said "IS POSSIBLE, but not without gestures."

Once you have done this, there is an option below to turn off the "gesture hints."

Now you don't see the small navigation bar with the three hint lines in it.

This is what I wanted to have, since the nav bar shows up with a white background on my docking clock, and it won't brighten up the room at night when my screen is very, very dimmed.

Thanks, to you, Spawnlives.
Just for reference in the swipe down menu bar there should be an option called navigation bar which will turn this feature on/off without having to go into settings all the time