When is TMobile getting pie ??

anon(10509503)

Aug 21, 2018
Visit site
I'm patienly waiting on pie when is TMobile USA going to roll it out

Also waiting and checking manually everyday and keeping my eye on the forums. Someone said February 4th and that didn't happen, then I saw someone said this coming week but who really knows.

I also heard TMo is having issues with either their new 600 MHz network or their new RCS messaging but that could just be rumors.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I hope T-Mobile refuses the Pie update until it works properly. Two major problems reported so far are that the pro-mode controls no longer work for shooting videos, and that the compass is off by 90 degrees, making real-time map navigation difficult or impossible.

Many of the people who were most impatient to get Pie are now busy trying to flash back to Oreo.

Last edited:

Carrie Greicar

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I kind of like that they take their time on bigger updates like this. That way some of the kinks can get worked out and you at least have prior knowledge of what is a kink from what others post.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I hope T-Mobile refuses the Pie update until it works properly. Two major problems reported so far are that the pro-mode controls no longer work for shooting videos, and that the compass is off by 90 degrees, making real-time map navigation difficult or impossible.

Many of the people who were most impatient to get Pie are now busy trying to flash back to Oreo.

I don't have that option pro mode in video but in camera yes.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
T-Mobile is always last for most things. Especially for updates.
TMO does very thorough testing. On one version (5? 6?) for one phone, they pulled the update the night before release - they were still testing it to see if there was anything they overlooked. That's not exactly a bad thing.

major problems ... the compass is off by 90 degrees
All phones have that problem - you have to calibrate the compass before each use. Bringing the phone near iron of any sort (even just getting into your car) throws it off. Rotate it 3 times in each axis. (It's due to the magnetic sensors used in all phones, it's not peculiar to Pie or Note 9s.)

making real-time map navigation difficult or impossible.
RT navigation is done by GPS, which has nothing to do with the compass. That little compass needle is an icon to allow you to switch between North-up and heading-up ("up" on the screen is the direction you're moving in when you're in heading-up mode).

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Also waiting and checking manually everyday and keeping my eye on the forums. Someone said February 4th and that didn't happen, then I saw someone said this coming week but who really knows.

I also heard TMo is having issues with either their new 600 MHz network or their new RCS messaging but that could just be rumors.

With the S9 update being released today, those rumors no longer hold water, since the S9 and Note 9 share the same.basic hardware platform. I would wager at this point they wanted the mass market update out the door and then will release the Note's

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
RT navigation is done by GPS, which has nothing to do with the compass.
Depending on where you are, RT navigation instructions can be something like "Head southeast to ...". It's harder to carry out that instruction if the compass points the wrong way.

All phones have that problem - you have to calibrate the compass before each use. Bringing the phone near iron of any sort (even just getting into your car) throws it off.
No. There are long threads full of people whose phone compass used to work properly before Pie, and is suddenly off by 90 degrees even when they re-calibrate it. And no, just getting in a car does not make my phone's compass stop pointing anywhere near the right direction. And no, while occasional recalibration may be beneficial, the compass does not need to be calibrated before each use.

Last edited:

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site

This is why I went back to Oreo. Just waiting for the bugs to get ironed out.

anon(10509503)

Aug 21, 2018
Visit site
So it seems TMo is pulling the S9/S9+ Pie OTA, so screw it I'm going to first backup everything via SmartSwitch on my PC then use the AT&T build to update.