Gmail UI changed back after recent update

munnarg

Trusted Member
Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this. I had installed the new Gmail app with the updated white UI and was using it for a while. As far as I know it was supposed to be the new UI going forward with Pie. Well, the app updated in the app store and reverted back to the old red banner UI. Any ideas why or how to fix this? Or did Google somehow change their mind and not say anything?

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this. I had installed the new Gmail app with the updated white UI and was using it for a while. As far as I know it was supposed to be the new UI going forward with Pie. Well, the app updated in the app store and reverted back to the old red banner UI. Any ideas why or how to fix this? Or did Google somehow change their mind and not say anything?

I installed the same updated Gmail APK a few weeks ago and mine hasn't changed with an update. I even looked in the Play store to see if there was an update available for Gmail and there wasn't. A fix would be to install the new Gmail app again and hope it doesn't auto update on you again.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I wish they would move the search bar and settings control from the top to the bottom to make 1 handed operation easier.

munnarg

Trusted Member
Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Did that twice already and each time it reverted back once updated. Probably just going to reinstall the apk and turn off auto updates for Gmail.

air2desk

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
Exact same thing here. Horrible. I uninstalled- Red. I updated- Red. Was quite happy with Inbox. If anyone finds a fix to at least change theme from Red to something else, please post.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I especially love the PINK background... And the brilliant white retina destroying white theme... Not!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190220-182919_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20190220-182919_Gmail.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 24

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I like the new layout, just wish they had a night mode. Now it's just super bright white. Everything is dark themed on my Note 9 and when I gmail it's like "BAM" right in my face. Lol