Camera - Pro Mode Video

jlangner

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
For those that miss this feature. As a work around for now can you use a 3rd party app like ProShot? It looks like it does what you want:

--- VIDEO FEATURES ---
+ Up to 4K (3840x2160)*
+ Manual or automatic control*
+ Adjustable resolution, frame rate, and bitrate
+ Industry-standard options for 180 degree rule
+ Zoom and change any camera parameter, even during video recording
+ Real-time audio input levels
+ Timelapse video, with full manual control
+ Video light

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I paid for the Moment app. It's my go to camera/video app for manual features. Super easy & clean interface. IMO better than stock Pro mode.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
​Thanks, that's potentially helpful and I appreciate your posting it.

I will note, though, that because this app is payware, it does not absolve Samsung from blame for the camera downgrade. An important part of consumer-protection law says that a product must work as advertised without requiring any additional purchases, ​unless the product's advertising discloses prominently that additional purchases are necessary.

I did try Google's free camera app, but it too does not provide manual controls for video.

But again, thanks for posting the suggestion.

SDTRMG

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
​Thanks, that's potentially helpful and I appreciate your posting it.

I will note, though, that because this app is payware, it does not absolve Samsung from blame for the camera downgrade. An important part of consumer-protection law says that a product must work as advertised without requiring any additional purchases, ​unless the product's advertising discloses prominently that additional purchases are necessary.

I did try Google's free camera app, but it too does not provide manual controls for video.

But again, thanks for posting the suggestion.

I think I be part of them removing it was the amount of complaints from ppl online. They probably figured they'll set it at it's best setting and leave it like that. Kind of like how apple does on iOS.

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I paid for the Moment app. It's my go to camera/video app for manual features. Super easy & clean interface. IMO better than stock Pro mode.

I tried the Moment app (I have their wide angle lens), but quickly uninstalled it as a seemed a (small) subset of the stock app. Maybe I'll give it another try.

What I found lacking with the Moment app was the inability to control the aperture (1.5 vs 2.4) or which lens (standard or telephoto) is used, both of which I can do with the stock app. Is that capability in the Moment app and I just missed it?

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I tried the Moment app (I have their wide angle lens), but quickly uninstalled it as a seemed a (small) subset of the stock app. Maybe I'll give it another try.

What I found lacking with the Moment app was the inability to control the aperture (1.5 vs 2.4) or which lens (standard or telephoto) is used, both of which I can do with the stock app. Is that capability in the Moment app and I just missed it?
Yeah, it doesn't have the option to switch apertures and it will always use the 1.5 which is what I always keep at anyway being that it's such a small lens. Even in very bright conditions I can still get plenty detail in landscape shots (though I don't shoot many landscapes) and just adjust shutter or iso accordingly.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
​An important part of consumer-protection law says that a product must work as advertised without requiring any additional purchases, ​unless the product's advertising discloses prominently that additional purchases are necessary.

That begs the question: Was the N9 ever advertised as having manual video controls? I kinda doubt it.

I just wanted to chime in & tell Samsung to bring back video in pro-mode!!

You need to go to one of Samsung's contact points (their website or their social media pages) and tell them. This site is not affiliated with any manufacturer, and it's unlikely they would see this thread.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
That begs the question: Was the N9 ever advertised as having manual video controls?
It still is, at least on the phone itself. If you go into the default camera app's settings and list its modes, one of the dozen or so entries is "Pro: Take control of your videos. Set the exposure, shutter speed, color tone, and ISO sensitivity manually". So if you go to a store to play with a demo model before deciding whether to buy the phone, that's what you'll see.

I haven't researched what the online promotional materials say, but "Take control of your videos" sure reads like it was lifted from ad copy somewhere.

Sarah VS

Mar 11, 2019
Visit site
Thank you! I reported directly to Samsung as well. I figured the more chatter online there is about it, hopefully they'll see this is an issue that people want fixed.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12