Note 9 Camera app shuts down after 2 min of inactivity. Need it to stay open longer.

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Am a guitar player and want to take video with Note 9 when I play a gig. Have a remote Joby to start/stop video. However, once I open Camera app, and set for video, I only have 2 minutes of inactivity before Camera app closes down. During a gig I can't go reset the app between songs if it is more than 2 months. I can't find a setting to keep app open longer.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Am a guitar player and want to take video with Note 9 when I play a gig. Have a remote Joby to start/stop video. However, once I open Camera app, and set for video, I only have 2 minutes of inactivity before Camera app closes down. During a gig I can't go reset the app between songs if it is more than 2 months. I can't find a setting to keep app open longer.

Can go into settings then display timeout set it longer

A

Android Central Question

Note 9 camera app shuts down after 2 min of inactivity. Need it to stay active longer.

Yesterday I asked this question: I am a guitar player and want to take video with Note 9 when I play a gig. Have a remote Joby to start/stop video. However, once I open Camera app, and set for video, I only have 2 minutes of inactivity before Camera app closes down. During a gig I can't go reset the app between songs if it is more than 2 minutes. I can't find a setting to keep app open longer.

Rukbat answered and recommended using another camera app. So I downloaded 3 different camera apps with the same shut down result. Rukbat do you have another camera app you recommend that will override the Samsung camera app?

Mustang 7757 recommended to go into settings then display timeout and set it longer. I have tried this for the app and the phone. The only timeout I can find is for the screen saver. I have taken the phone to Sprint and another cell phone store that sells the Note 9, and neither of them could find a way to override the 2 minute timeout. Mustang 7757, do you have more detailed info on how to find the display timeout?

I have 2 older Samsung phones, a 5 and a 7, but the video start button is not separate from the camera, so you have to specifically hit the video button to activate it.

My wifes Iphone X camera app stays open and doesn't shut down. Can't believe I am the only one having this problem. Thanks for any help from anybody.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Re: Note 9 camera app shuts down after 2 min of inactivity. Need it to stay active longer.

Yesterday I asked this question: I am a guitar player and want to take video with Note 9 when I play a gig. Have a remote Joby to start/stop video. However, once I open Camera app, and set for video, I only have 2 minutes of inactivity before Camera app closes down. During a gig I can't go reset the app between songs if it is more than 2 minutes. I can't find a setting to keep app open longer.

Rukbat answered and recommended using another camera app. So I downloaded 3 different camera apps with the same shut down result. Rukbat do you have another camera app you recommend that will override the Samsung camera app?

Mustang 7757 recommended to go into settings then display timeout and set it longer. I have tried this for the app and the phone. The only timeout I can find is for the screen saver. I have taken the phone to Sprint and another cell phone store that sells the Note 9, and neither of them could find a way to override the 2 minute timeout. Mustang 7757, do you have more detailed info on how to find the display timeout?

I have 2 older Samsung phones, a 5 and a 7, but the video start button is not separate from the camera, so you have to specifically hit the video button to activate it.

My wifes Iphone X camera app stays open and doesn't shut down. Can't believe I am the only one having this problem. Thanks for any help from anybody.

Yes in settings go to display then display timeout

JoeSnuffie

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Re: Note 9 camera app shuts down after 2 min of inactivity. Need it to stay active longer.

Yes in settings go to display then display timeout

Sorry for resurrecting an old post but responses like this are frustrating and seem to be the only response to this question. This will not work, has never worked on any galaxy phone I've owned. The screen timeout is not tied to the camera timeout in Galaxy phones. I've had Galaxy phones since the S3 and this is an annoyance that users can't get an answer for because, without research, people keep insisting that we increase the screen timeout.

Here's what happens.
With the screen timeout at 15 seconds, the camera stays on for 2 minutes then closes. The screen times out 15 seconds later.
With the screen timeout at 2 minutes, the camera stays on for 2 minutes then closes. The screen times out 2 minutes later.
With the screen timeout at 5 minutes, the camera stays on for 2 minutes then closes. The screen times out 5 minutes later.
And so on . . .

Does anyone have a solution to this that's actually worked?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Sorry for resurrecting an old post but responses like this are frustrating and seem to be the only response to this question. This will not work, has never worked on any galaxy phone I've owned. The screen timeout is not tied to the camera timeout in Galaxy phones. I've had Galaxy phones since the S3 and this is an annoyance that users can't get an answer for because, without research, people keep insisting that we increase the screen timeout.

Here's what happens.
With the screen timeout at 15 seconds, the camera stays on for 2 minutes then closes. The screen times out 15 seconds later.
With the screen timeout at 2 minutes, the camera stays on for 2 minutes then closes. The screen times out 2 minutes later.
With the screen timeout at 5 minutes, the camera stays on for 2 minutes then closes. The screen times out 5 minutes later.
And so on . . .

Does anyone have a solution to this that's actually worked?
Hi, as you see OP never really continued the conversation after my last response to try different things , if they don't I can't continue until they engage again.

As for you , try developer settings see if the option still available to keep screen on while charging maybe it will work for you.

sparrow555

Feb 9, 2020
Visit site

I have the same problem and I can't find a solution for it either.
The problem is not with the phone switching off but with the camera switching off and going to the home screen. The phone stays on.

Theboinger77

Feb 17, 2020
Visit site

I am having the same issue on my S10. I am hoping someone has info on a resolution.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I've messed with every setting I can think of in the phone setting and camera app, nothing seems to keep it open. It's not an issue with screen time out, the app just closes leaving the user on homescreen.

I even tried in split view and pop up view, camera will auto close and the second app goes full screen.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

I have the same problem and I can't find a solution for it either.
The problem is not with the phone switching off but with the camera switching off and going to the home screen. The phone stays on.
I am having the same issue on my S10. I am hoping someone has info on a resolution.
What have you tried up to this point?

Last edited:

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Random fact but even the ancient Note 3 auto closes the camera app after 2 minutes.

So does my rooted Note 10 tablet launched in 2012.

Last edited:

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
The issue is exclusive to Samsungs app. It times out after 2 minutes then the phone starts the regular screen time out from there.

The Moment Camera app stayed open beyond 2 minutes and I closed it myself. I tested the Google Camera app it also stayed on beyond 2 minutes, screen shut off at 5 minutes but that is what my screen time out is set to.

Solution is use a different camera app. I'm done experimenting with this.

Also interesting it seems to effect all Samsung phones regardless of age or Android version, I'll assume the S20 is going to do the same thing.

snappeas

Feb 15, 2021
Visit site

I found an answer! I know this is two years later lol, I had this issue today. If you start a recording and then pause it, the app never shuts down. Super simple fix, really happy I figured this out. App has been on for like 15 mins now! I have a Samsung Galaxy S10e

Cheers

RePeteuser

Mar 19, 2021
Visit site
Same problem with my S20 FE mounted or not mounted on my gimbal. Nothing to do with the display. It just stops and goes to the app screen. I opened the DJI Mimo camera app that activates the gimbal and it stays on till the battery dies on the phone. I know you have a different set up but it does show that different apps may help your issue.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2