Save big + get 3 months free! Sign up for ExpressVPN today

I used the new scheduled auto restart feature and on the first morning after, my phone was shut down instead.

I have a Tmobile Note 9 with Pie

Has any one else tried this new feature?
    03-07-2019 01:46 PM
    I'm using this to restart my phone every morning at 3am, I'm in the UK on EE and I've not experienced any problems yet.
    03-07-2019 02:09 PM
    Do you have to hit the power button and enter your pin every morning to start your phone?

Maybe I am missing something on the word restart. I was expecting it to restart and resume functioning normally with no interaction from me. I have alerts coming in 24/7 and after the restart at 3AM, the phone is off. If I don't press the power button and enter pin, I will not get the alerts.

I don't see the difference between auto restart and shutdown, since the phone is off either way. I turned the auto restart off

I am guessing this feature will not work like I was hoping if the phone has any lock features turn on.
    03-07-2019 03:23 PM
    I have been using this Auto Restart, since I got this Note 9, last November. It seems to work at intended. Every Monday morning I have indication that the phone restarted, over night.
    I am using a Verizon version Note 9, in the US.
    I'm still on Oreo. If you didn't have this feature, before Pie, perhaps the UK was without, for whatever reason.
    Attached Thumbnails Pie - new auto restart feature problem-8522.jpg  
    Bosbouer likes this.
    03-07-2019 04:53 PM
    I have been using this Auto Restart, since I got this Note 9, last November. It seems to work at intended. Every Monday morning I have indication that the phone restarted, over night.
    I am using a Verizon version Note 9, in the US.
    I'm still on Oreo. If you didn't have this feature, before Pie, perhaps the UK was without, for whatever reason.
    Mine does the same thing as a manual restart and will not turn on until I hit power button and enter pin.
    03-07-2019 05:21 PM
    Mine does the same thing as a manual restart and will not turn on until I hit power button and enter pin.
    Same here and imo this is the way that it’s supposed to work. I am with att.
    03-07-2019 09:13 PM
    The only thing mine does after it reboots in the middle of the night is require the PIN code first instead of eye/face/ finger print. The reboot is perfect.
    03-08-2019 02:21 PM
    no issues this end, all the phone requires me to do is enter my pin.
    Bosbouer likes this.
    03-08-2019 02:43 PM
    I think everyone is missunderstanding my issue.

After the phone restarts in the middle of the night, the phone is turned off until the pin code is entered in the morning, so I will never get my alerts for that period off time.
    It does not actually restart and turn back on until the pin is entered, so I had to go back to restarting manually, so I can enter pin and restart immediately, so I don't miss the important alerts I receive 24/7.

For most people, having their phone off for half the night may not be a problem, but for what I use my phone, it is a major problem.
    03-08-2019 03:10 PM

After the phone restarts in the middle of the night, the phone is turned off until the pin code is entered in the morning, so I will never get my alerts for that period off time.
    It does not actually restart and turn back on until the pin is entered, so I had to go back to restarting manually, so I can enter pin and restart immediately, so I don't miss the important alerts I receive 24/7.

For most people, having their phone off for half the night may not be a problem, but for what I use my phone, it is a major problem.
    Do you have secure startup enabled?
    03-08-2019 03:29 PM
    Do you have secure startup enabled?
    Yes
    03-08-2019 03:33 PM
    That is how secure start up is supposed to work. If you turn it off, your phone will restart normally.
    Yes
    Pie - new auto restart feature problem-smartselect_20190308-164126_settings.jpeg
    Bosbouer and adegbenroagoro like this.
    03-08-2019 03:44 PM
    That is how secure start up is supposed to work. If you turn it off, your phone will restart normally. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SmartSelect_20190308-164126_Settings.jpeg 
Views:	21 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	299485
    Yes, it looks like that is the issue, but how secure will the phone be with it turned off?

I have info in the phone that can't be seen by others.
    03-08-2019 03:49 PM
    Yes, it looks like that is the issue, but how secure will the phone be with it turned off?

I have info in the phone that can't be seen by others.
    Assuming you use biometrics and or pin/pattern to lock your phone, the phone will restart normally but will still require unlocking for access. The secure startup prevents the phone from starting after a reboot without entering a pin.
    thecomicbookandme likes this.
    03-08-2019 03:58 PM
    No problems with mine.
    03-08-2019 04:51 PM

I think we are misunderstanding, because you use the term "restart", but it seems like you are describing a power off condition.
    Why wouldn't a phone receive notifications after a reboot / restart?
    03-08-2019 08:04 PM
    I used the new scheduled auto restart feature and on the first morning after, my phone was shut down instead.

I have a Tmobile Note 9 with Pie

Has any one else tried this new feature?
    I've been using auto-restart with secure setup on Android Oreo and on Android Pie. I set my time to 0645 HRS on Sunday only(this minimises the period of time notifications won't enter my phone. I very rarely get notifications then and most likely will already be awake anyway. I also have calls diverted into my other phone if inaccessible on either phone. ). As designed, it requires me to enter a pattern for the phone to restart. With secure setup activated ANY time the phone powers off it will request a pin or pattern to be entered to restart the device.
    03-09-2019 12:05 AM
    I think we are misunderstanding, because you use the term "restart", but it seems like you are describing a power off condition.
    Why wouldn't a phone receive notifications after a reboot / restart?
    I get a certain type of alerts that are not stored or repeated, which requires the phone to be on at all times. They are not like normal notifications.

I was trying to use the correct terms from the phone, so there was no mistake what I was referring to.

The problem I am having when using the auto restart feature is a power off condition that is caused by having secure startup turned on, which requires a pin after it shuts down and before the phone will restart.

I would rather have the extra security, so I think the best thing for me to do is to leave secure startup on and restart manually if needed.
    thecomicbookandme likes this.
    03-09-2019 01:16 AM
    I would rather have the extra security, so I think the best thing for me to do is to leave secure startup on and restart manually if needed.
    In your case, I would recommend this.
    It's not that important a feature.
    This phone reboots very quickly, compared to others.
    03-09-2019 11:11 AM
    That is how secure start up is supposed to work. If you turn it off, your phone will restart normally. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SmartSelect_20190308-164126_Settings.jpeg 
Views:	21 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	299485
    Thanks for your reply.

Until you asked about secure startup, I had forgotten I turned it on. Samsung should have put a warning when turning on auto restart that secure startup was on and needs to be turned off to work properly, like they have done on some other features on the phone.
    03-09-2019 12:49 PM
    Thanks for your reply.

Until you asked about secure startup, I had forgotten I turned it on. Samsung should have put a warning when turning on auto restart that secure startup was on and needs to be turned off to work properly, like they have done on some other features on the phone.
    You’re welcome. In your case, with your security needs, looks like manually restarting when needed is the best option.
    03-09-2019 01:42 PM
    I to have this same problem. ONLY I have Monday for reboot day. (it's the only one circled) and is set to reboot at 3AM.
    Two phones, same thing.
    This worked great on Oreo, then updated to Pie and now it reboots EVERYDAY.
    Remember, not just my phone, but the wife's phone too.
    Turned that setting off and now all good. We do have secure startup, can't go without that. In the meantime, will have to live without auto restart, and do it myself.

Anyone else having this issue. Oh, it's Verizon.

Wife's first smart phone, so I had it setup to be safe and to run efficiently. Why it's there right???

Well, that's my store and I'm sticking to it.....
    06-12-2019 01:12 PM