5 gHz Wifi Band Unstable?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I have no problems on 2.4 band but on 5 gHz band if my phone goes to sleep or if I stop using for a while wifi remains "connected" but signal is lost and phone goes to LTE. If I use continuously the signal is fine. Once phone sleeps wifi says connected but data will return when connection is stable. It is my router and perfectly stable. No other device does this only the Note 9. Is this typical or do I have a defective phone?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you able to test it on another network with 5 GHz (to see if it's a 5 GHz issue, or something to do with your router)?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I have no problems on 2.4 band but on 5 gHz band if my phone goes to sleep or if I stop using for a while wifi remains "connected" but signal is lost and phone goes to LTE. If I use continuously the signal is fine. Once phone sleeps wifi says connected but data will return when connection is stable. It is my router and perfectly stable. No other device does this only the Note 9. Is this typical or do I have a defective phone?

Check these settings in wifi
This how mine looks compare it

Attachments

• 1164.jpg
    1164.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 42

jerry12

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I seem to be having the same issue with my Verizon Note 9. My 5gHz band will drop out & then connect back on. My 2.4 gHz doesn't drop out.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately it didn't last

Damn exclamation point appears next to wifi icon. This means there is a connection to router but no internet throughput (except there really is but phone doesn't get it)
Other devices are fine. Wifi analyzer shows router is fine
No local networks interfering
No drop in internet in any other device

Some said static ip would help. I tried it doesn't. This is a longstanding issue with Samsung devices back to the s7.

The most annoying thing is once the exclamation point appears situation will NEVER self resolve. I tried leaving it overnight
It is cured by toggling wifi on and off on the phone
Resetting the router does nothing
Changing router channel does nothing

Software should be written so that if this happens device automatically disconnects and reconnects. Problem would be solved but no just the endless exclamation mark. There is also no audio notification warning so you can lose a lot.of work if you are typing directly to the net assuming work is going through

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Today I am using wifi at work which I never do. It is a 5ghz wifi band so I'll see if the phone can hold it all day. If it does I guess I need to look for a new router, maybe the Xfinity X1 modem/router?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Been on 5 ghz all day at work without any exclamation point. So odd. My tv, printer ipads and V20 all coexist on my home Lynksys dual band router on 5 ghz and never drop off. The Note 9 can't hack it. No cure I can think of.

Anybody got a Comcast X1 router? Do your devices work well on 5 ghz band? (I assume it has one?)

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
The 5ghz band does not have the range as the 2.4ghz band, so if you have distance and interference, this can happen. Interesting that you don't have such issues with other 5ghz devices, though. My 5ghz issues went away when I replaced my router with one that supposedly has great 5ghz range. But just by nature of the signal, 5ghz is just intended for shorter distances than 2.4ghz. My router is the Asus AC-5300.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I installed four channels, two 2.4 and two 5.0ghz in the home and office here, two levels. When within thirty ft of the routers, I run 5.0 and when I move about or go outside, I transition to the 2.4 channels. The latter give me very good speeds to do just about anything business wise and the ability to power through walls or go the distance allows me easier bandwidth ability using the 2.4.