Man I can't believe how so many ppl get great battery life out of this phone. I'm thinking I have something wrong with mine. I have everything I can disabled and not running in background and still using around 20% on stupid Android system. Been trying to do research and can't figure it out. It's been a waste of $ upgrading if it wasn't for pie. Thinking of just selling the note, taking a loss and going back to my sister+ that got the same battery life.
    Attached Thumbnails Hate the battery life on this phone.-screenshot_20190313-203302_settings.jpg  
    03-13-2019 08:39 PM
    Android system is ridiculous. Same on mine. I do get better SOT than that but not what I would like to see.
    03-13-2019 08:41 PM
    Man I can't believe how so many ppl get great battery life out of this phone. I'm thinking I have something wrong with mine. I have everything I can disabled and not running in background and still using around 20% on stupid Android system. Been trying to do research and can't figure it out. It's been a waste of $ upgrading if it wasn't for pie. Thinking of just selling the note, taking a loss and going back to my sister+ that got the same battery life.
    That SOT sucks. I have a phone with 25% bigger battery than the Note 9 and get 6.5-7.5 hours SOT with heavy use.
    03-14-2019 02:49 AM
    Your android system usage seems really high.
    Is this heavy usage recent or been the same since day one?
    If recent, what have you done to the phone lately?

My screenshot is not as representative, because the phone came off the charger only about a half hour ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Hate the battery life on this phone.-8874.jpg  
    03-14-2019 08:02 AM
    Compared to my S7 Edge... I'm loving this battery. For as much as I use it, it's treated me well so far. Comes off charger at 0600 every morning.
    03-14-2019 11:21 AM
    I had updaters remorse because I knew I had a perfect battery itself and lifespan on Oreo. Then I read the horror stories about the battery just going to **** on Pie.

I took it with a grain of salt and just updated because I like new. Fully charged it and unplugged before I went to sleep. Woke up and only lost 2 points. I was expecting 90% or less because of background indexing when installing a brand new major upgrade.

Same settings and use as before.
    Got two Group chats on WhatsApp. Lots of messaging on Messenger. Facebook, some Instagram, web surfing and Android Central.

Power save is off. Dark mode on. Wifi on. Location on. We've reached a point where turning these services on or off should have little impact on battery.

The one thing that decreased was the standby time estimate. At this percent I would have 25 hours of standby left. But doesn't matter too much. Still on track for 10 hours of screen time.

The only maintenance I did was wipe cache twice after install.
    Attached Thumbnails Hate the battery life on this phone.-8598.jpg  
    03-14-2019 12:13 PM
    Graph
    Attached Thumbnails Hate the battery life on this phone.-8597.jpg  
    jimd1050 likes this.
    03-14-2019 12:13 PM
    Its been like this since day i got it two weeks ago. For some reason android system is always just a 1-2% behind sot which doesn't make sense.
    03-14-2019 05:36 PM
    Its been like this since day i got it two weeks ago. For some reason android system is always just a 1-2% behind sot which doesn't make sense.
    Might be worth doing a full reset of the device, and limit what you install for a bit. See how it behaves, if its good, then slowly start installing apps again.
    03-14-2019 06:47 PM
    Might be worth doing a full reset of the device, and limit what you install for a bit. See how it behaves, if its good, then slowly start installing apps again.
    This is what I was going to suggest.
    Can't hurt at this point.
    03-14-2019 07:00 PM
    Try going back to standard theam.
    03-14-2019 08:37 PM
    I'd just be happy with Android System not being on top . 3 Samsung phones thus far, and I can count the number of times it hasn't been on top with one hand.
    03-14-2019 09:16 PM
    Mine will drain if I leave location on via Google play services. Chrome is also a big drain. Tried deleting Chrome. But then links through Gmail no longer work.
    03-15-2019 08:44 AM
    Mine will drain if I leave location on via Google play services. Chrome is also a big drain. Tried deleting Chrome. But then links through Gmail no longer work.
    I don't have a permission for LOCATION in GOOGLE PLAY SERVICES.
    03-15-2019 10:18 AM
    Ya I didnt have that location option in Google Play service either. And Android system, google play service and standby all eat my battery more so than in Oreo.
    03-15-2019 10:30 AM
    Ya I didnt have that location option in Google Play service either. And Android system, google play service and standby all eat my battery more so than in Oreo.
    Yet another reason not to eat the pie.
    03-15-2019 11:00 AM
    Too late for me, already ate the OREO all thats left is this slice of pie. I am sure someone will figure the battery issue out. Lots of smart folks on here and XDA however I am not one of them.
    03-15-2019 11:16 AM
    I really wish I could just copy my device profile and sent it to you guys. I literally have everything on except for AOD and Bluetooth. Only use Bluetooth when needed. Wifi is always on, Location services on High Accuracy. I don't get it.

I'm somewhat of a media ***** so in comparison to people who don't chat or use social media a lot there's something definitely wrong.

Enclosing a fresh screenshot of a new charge cycle. So far because it's the weekend, I have literally been using phone nonstop since unplugging. Got into an argument with someone on WhatsApp. Lol
    Attached Thumbnails Hate the battery life on this phone.-8785.jpg  
    03-16-2019 12:02 PM
    And while I do have Dark Mode on, some apps like WhatsApp don't support it, and that's where I literally spend 90% of my time on. Lol

Other media apps I have syncing and notifications on for
    Instagram
    Facebook
    Messenger
    Twitter

I also get alerts from cash / banking apps and Gmail. Power save mode is off, brightness is always in the middle.

After Pie update, all I did was clear cache. No factory reset needed. It's hard to determine why some people have a crazy Android OS and Android System percentage while others don't.

It's funny because I was in the Note 4 camp where I could barely push 3 hours of screen without heavy modification while others would easily get 5+ doing everything without little care in the world.

Upgraded to Note 9 and got 8 hours of SoT on first cycle and was baffled. With the way Android Pie is working, I can probably hit 15 - 16 hours of SoT if I marathon, but SoT isn't what's most important to me. Standby is.

I kinda lost some standby time, but it's slowly coming back up. I used to have 1 day and 17 hours standby remaining under similar conditions on Oreo; however, I literally just used my phone for an hour straight and only lost 7% as of this writing so I have no room to complain.

For those with bad battery life try getting your battery examined first. I know for fact I had a good battery from start because I cracked my screen few months ago and had a 3900 mAh battery according to them. They replaced the battery that was rated at 3970 mAh for whatever reason, and it shows.
    Attached Thumbnails Hate the battery life on this phone.-8786.jpg  
    03-16-2019 12:13 PM
    I guess what I'm trying to say is the days of "turning everything off" to save battery life is over. Everyone should be able to enjoy their phones without heavy micromanaging.

Android has improved so much over the years where it's better than Apple with battery life in some cases. I tell my clients I charge once every other day sometimes two, while their iPhones are hitting the plug everyday. iPhone 8 Pluses and X's mind you.

A rogue app or process is generally the culprit, and if everything in the system looks okay, it could just be hardware.

The physical battery itself, or even the system on a chip (at an extreme secnario)
    bmetelsky likes this.
    03-16-2019 12:18 PM
    I think for quirks (things acting wrong or differently than on other folks phones) like this, if it is indeed a quirk that cannot be fixed with a setting change, a factory reset is in order, especially after a major OS update.
    03-16-2019 02:22 PM
    I took someones suggestion and went back to factory theme and cut the android system by more then half. ITs a lot better, but still not as good as some ppl getting only 5% or less of android system. BUt i'll take it.
    03-16-2019 05:08 PM