Not even close. I use both and AOD is useful for notifying me of all notifications, whereas the notification led notifies me of specific important notifications.

It's just not a viable replacement
    My AOD shows little dots, in different colors, which notifications I have. If I see one that I need, I actually unlock my phone.

Although neither are necessary for me I use my watch. Maybe that's what Samsung is doing. Pushing watch use. Which explains being able to charge the new one on the S10.
    Today 07:09 AM
    I'm still not sure how that translates to a significantly larger battery drain. The whole point of AMOLED is you can light up certain parts of your screen without turning the rest on, unlike an LCD. So there should be no difference in power drain whether or not the ring is separate or part of the screen.
    In addition the single LED notification light is much bigger so that probably draws more current than a small ring around the camera.
    Today 07:57 AM
    My S10+ not having the LED has made me realize how little I used the LED in the S9+ I sold last week and my Note 9 that I still have.

I really don't miss it. About the only thing I used it for was to tell when the battery was fully charged but my wireless chargers do that.
    Today 08:04 AM
    I'm still not sure how that translates to a significantly larger battery drain. The whole point of AMOLED is you can light up certain parts of your screen without turning the rest on, unlike an LCD. So there should be no difference in power drain whether or not the ring is separate or part of the screen.
    The ring around the camera is not made up of a single rgb LED as the notification light, but rather a bunch of LEDs that make up the screen. I think the pixel density is over 500dpi, so I'm gonna guess there are a few hundred pixels, each one of them a rgb LED comprising the ring around the camera. It's not a single LED, but an array that I suspect requires more processing to produce than a simple rgb LED in relation to shape, size, brightness, etc. I honestly don't know definitively which would be a more power draw, but it would seem with all that goes behind making that ring do what you want it to do, it would require more power. It wouldn't be any different to me than having part of your AOD flash different colors at full brightness all day, which we know they dim for a reason and turn it off for power saving.
    Today 09:12 AM
    My AOD shows little dots, in different colors, which notifications I have. If I see one that I need, I actually unlock my phone.

Although neither are necessary for me I use my watch. Maybe that's what Samsung is doing. Pushing watch use. Which explains being able to charge the new one on the S10.
    More like it is driven by maximum screen with minimal cutout.
    Today 09:19 AM
    I'm sure if there is enough whining they will bring it back. Remember when they did away with the micro SD on the note 5?
    Today 11:17 AM
    I'm sure if there is enough whining they will bring it back. Remember when they did away with the micro SD on the note 5?
    It hasn't worked for any of the other brands that have given up their LED light, removable batteries or I.R. blasters, plastic or metal backs. Others can disagree, but I don't see a SD cards in the same vein as I do a notification light.
    Today 11:35 AM

Mine does too. That only works if I am looking at my screen instead of being visible from any state. The icons also show all the notifications, not specific ones.
    Today 11:39 AM
    More like it is driven by maximum screen with minimal cutout.
    I checked out the S10 and S10+ at Sam's Club. The screen makes me worry about constant accidental touches
    Today 11:42 AM
    Back then, it was still necessary. Storage now is a lot better. I went from 64 to 128.

Whatever happens will happen. I will find a solution, even if it is disabling notifications completely.
    Today 11:46 AM
    It isn't for you but not everyone needs or wants an LED.... unfortunately you can't pick and choose what options are on a particular device. None of us can, but we can buy the devices that make the most sense for us. That's the best we can do.
    The LED notification is one of the things that made the phone different from an Iphone. Taking it away just makes the phone a glorified Iphone
    Today 12:43 PM
    The LED notification is one of the things that made the phone different from an Iphone. Taking it away just makes the phone a glorified Iphone
    We can discuss it till the cows come home but it doesnt change anything just like it didn't for other brands that have gotten rid of LEDs. The trend in design is all screen phones with no bezels. To achieve that means removing things from the screen. That's just the way it is until the next evolution.
    Carrie Greicar likes this.
    Today 01:04 PM
    Samsung could have placed a small LED under the speaker grill or next to/in-between the camera lenses. To me having the camera led ring act as a notification light would be even slicker so I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    Today 04:27 PM
    Samsung could have placed a small LED under the speaker grill or next to/in-between the camera lenses. To me having the camera led ring act as a notification light would be even slicker so I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed.
    I would like to see the light around the ring as notification also .
    Today 05:18 PM
    I would like to see the light around the ring as notification also .
    That would be cool
    Today 05:39 PM
    That would be cool
    Definitely ...
    Today 05:50 PM
41 12