Is the Note 9 the last Note to have a notification light?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Not even close. I use both and AOD is useful for notifying me of all notifications, whereas the notification led notifies me of specific important notifications.

It's just not a viable replacement

It isn't for you but not everyone needs or wants an LED.... unfortunately you can't pick and choose what options are on a particular device. None of us can, but we can buy the devices that make the most sense for us. That's the best we can do.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
That ring around the camera - is that supposed to stay on until the phone is woken up? That looks too bright to be be part of the dim AOD, so it would seem that it would kill the battery if a notification was on overnight. Looks nice, but not as practical as the old LED. I guess it'll have to be something to get used to and not being able to just know something by quickly glancing at the phone. Even looking at the green light to know the phone is fully charged would mean either I look at it closely to see if the AOD is showing 100%... or maybe that ring will glow? Ah, well.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
That ring around the camera - is that supposed to stay on until the phone is woken up? That looks too bright to be be part of the dim AOD, so it would seem that it would kill the battery if a notification was on overnight. Looks nice, but not as practical as the old LED. I guess it'll have to be something to get used to and not being able to just know something by quickly glancing at the phone. Even looking at the green light to know the phone is fully charged would mean either I look at it closely to see if the AOD is showing 100%... or maybe that ring will glow? Ah, well.
They're both just LED lights. Why should it be different in terms of battery?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Isn't the ring around the camera part of the amoled screen? That's part of the display and not like the single led that the notification light is made of?
I'm still not sure how that translates to a significantly larger battery drain. The whole point of AMOLED is you can light up certain parts of your screen without turning the rest on, unlike an LCD. So there should be no difference in power drain whether or not the ring is separate or part of the screen.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Not even close. I use both and AOD is useful for notifying me of all notifications, whereas the notification led notifies me of specific important notifications.

It's just not a viable replacement

My AOD shows little dots, in different colors, which notifications I have. If I see one that I need, I actually unlock my phone.

Although neither are necessary for me I use my watch. Maybe that's what Samsung is doing. Pushing watch use. Which explains being able to charge the new one on the S10.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm still not sure how that translates to a significantly larger battery drain. The whole point of AMOLED is you can light up certain parts of your screen without turning the rest on, unlike an LCD. So there should be no difference in power drain whether or not the ring is separate or part of the screen.

In addition the single LED notification light is much bigger so that probably draws more current than a small ring around the camera.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
My S10+ not having the LED has made me realize how little I used the LED in the S9+ I sold last week and my Note 9 that I still have.

I really don't miss it. About the only thing I used it for was to tell when the battery was fully charged but my wireless chargers do that.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
The ring around the camera is not made up of a single rgb LED as the notification light, but rather a bunch of LEDs that make up the screen. I think the pixel density is over 500dpi, so I'm gonna guess there are a few hundred pixels, each one of them a rgb LED comprising the ring around the camera. It's not a single LED, but an array that I suspect requires more processing to produce than a simple rgb LED in relation to shape, size, brightness, etc. I honestly don't know definitively which would be a more power draw, but it would seem with all that goes behind making that ring do what you want it to do, it would require more power. It wouldn't be any different to me than having part of your AOD flash different colors at full brightness all day, which we know they dim for a reason and turn it off for power saving.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
My AOD shows little dots, in different colors, which notifications I have. If I see one that I need, I actually unlock my phone.

Although neither are necessary for me I use my watch. Maybe that's what Samsung is doing. Pushing watch use. Which explains being able to charge the new one on the S10.

More like it is driven by maximum screen with minimal cutout.

athomas917

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure if there is enough whining they will bring it back. Remember when they did away with the micro SD on the note 5?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm sure if there is enough whining they will bring it back. Remember when they did away with the micro SD on the note 5?

It hasn't worked for any of the other brands that have given up their LED light, removable batteries or I.R. blasters, plastic or metal backs. Others can disagree, but I don't see a SD cards in the same vein as I do a notification light.

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site

Mine does too. That only works if I am looking at my screen instead of being visible from any state. The icons also show all the notifications, not specific ones.

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site

Back then, it was still necessary. Storage now is a lot better. I went from 64 to 128.

Whatever happens will happen. I will find a solution, even if it is disabling notifications completely.

Carrie Greicar

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
It isn't for you but not everyone needs or wants an LED.... unfortunately you can't pick and choose what options are on a particular device. None of us can, but we can buy the devices that make the most sense for us. That's the best we can do.

The LED notification is one of the things that made the phone different from an Iphone. Taking it away just makes the phone a glorified Iphone

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The LED notification is one of the things that made the phone different from an Iphone. Taking it away just makes the phone a glorified Iphone

We can discuss it till the cows come home but it doesnt change anything just like it didn't for other brands that have gotten rid of LEDs. The trend in design is all screen phones with no bezels. To achieve that means removing things from the screen. That's just the way it is until the next evolution.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Samsung could have placed a small LED under the speaker grill or next to/in-between the camera lenses. To me having the camera led ring act as a notification light would be even slicker so I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Samsung could have placed a small LED under the speaker grill or next to/in-between the camera lenses. To me having the camera led ring act as a notification light would be even slicker so I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed.

I would like to see the light around the ring as notification also .

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary