Burn In

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
If I set my N
note 9 on wireless charging stand by my bed on home page all night will it damage my screen?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I've been doing that for years; just set it up so the screen isn't on while charging.
You don't understand I WANT homescreen (not AOD) on to check time, weather and emails while in bed. That's why I want to leave it on charger
Sometimes I have to go into the lab.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
And that is the key question... how MUCH time? One night? One month? One hour?
Depends on brightness. Higher brightness faster burn. But it doesn't matter how much time because it adds up. OLEDs have a finite time before they burn up. So for example say your OLED screen has 10hrs before its burned out, then doing it for 1hr a night means you'll have burn in by the 11th night.

Also, uh, the AOD shows you both time and notifications. Not sure what difference the using the homescreen over it will make other than faster burn in.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Current weather. I wake up often and glance at my phone then go back to sleep. Been doing it for years with Note 3. No burn in I can discern.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Burn in is one of those things you can't predict but can help prevent. If you want to keep your home screen on while charging that's up to you just don't come back complaining about screen burn in like you didn't know it could happen.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Current weather. I wake up often and glance at my phone then go back to sleep. Been doing it for years with Note 3. No burn in I can discern.
If that's all you need why not just use a screensaver app that activates when the phone is in charging? This has been a feature on Androids since like 4.0. For example Beautiful Widgets have a weather screen saver that shows the notification icons, time, weather, and has moving clouds on the screen to help stave off burn ins.

You can check this list for screensavers that might appeal to you.

https://androidappsforme.com/screen-saver-apps-android/

To set them up, they should appear in settings>display>screensaver.

AirMech74

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
when I first got my S7 edge, I was using the Samsung Music App...Milk Music or something like that...I had it on my work desk and used bluetooth...did that for about a month for so many hours a day....burned in the play screen...i was so pissed, but I dealt with it for 3 yrs.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Wow so you still can see the long gone milk music screen lol. I miss milk music I liked that app.
when I first got my S7 edge, I was using the Samsung Music App...Milk Music or something like that...I had it on my work desk and used bluetooth...did that for about a month for so many hours a day....burned in the play screen...i was so pissed, but I dealt with it for 3 yrs.

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
If I set my N
note 9 on wireless charging stand by my bed on home page all night will it damage my screen?

When I had my note 8 I had burn in, in about 4 months. Took to it Sprint and with no questions asked, they replaced the screen digitizer and away I went. Did the same with my daughters note 8. I have insurance on it but they said it didn't matter, they had to change them for no cost anyway.

My daughter recently cracked her note 8 screen and for $29.00 they changed her screen. She won't part with her note 8 and I miss mine 😥 because of the (freaking) Pie update!

As far as the note 9 I have no burn in at all since last August of 2018 when I purchased this phone. I Just wanted to find out what was standard protocol when burn-in exist on the note 9. The corporate store stated that it was no charge at all to change the digitizer. But if screen was broken, that was 29.00.
That's another reason why I'm still with Sprint.

The corporate store has the Insurance repair department right in the back of it. So convenient.

Burn-in is supposed to be covered under manufacturer defect. But they claim it's covered by Samsung for the first 365 days.
You see about 2 years ago I went round and round with Samsung quality control department about this. But since I have Sprint, they just do the repair right in the store.
So if you have burn in, and no insurance contact Samsung. That's all you need to do.
They would need to physically look at the phone before repairs are made and check the IMEI number to make sure it's within a year.

Burn-in technically isn't supposed to happen but because we use the Super AMOLED screens over time, it's bound to happen. You can keep the brightness down, you can turn off AOD and plus you can do all sorts of adjustments to try and avoid this, but eventually it will rear its ugly head.

In going forward, as soon as you notice burn-in, you must contact your carrier if it's under warranty or not under warranty. Then contact Samsung as soon as you notice this because it only gets worse.

Sending your phone away to SAMSUNG, good fortunes to you, since I've heard some horrible stories of people not getting their phones back until 3 to 6 months later.

Just make a bunch of phone calls before you do anything.

Sorry for the run-off, but I feel your pain.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
No pain yet. I was just checking weather was safe to leave the screen on all night. Obviously the note 3 screen must be tougher because I've had no problem with that but I won't take the chance with the note 9. I do have insurance and extended warranty with Verizon so I should be good anyway but I don't want to accelerate the process.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
No pain yet. I was just checking weather was safe to leave the screen on all night. Obviously the note 3 screen must be tougher because I've had no problem with that but I won't take the chance with the note 9. I do have insurance and extended warranty with Verizon so I should be good anyway but I don't want to accelerate the process.

Don't leave screen on all night, you see how those Best buy display are after leaving screen on all day .

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site

Hold on to that note tight!!👍👍
Pops has a Note 4 and it has a little burn in. Nothing drastic.
He also has an iPhone X
he hates it.
Those notes still holding it down

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Burn-in depends on 2 things - time and screen brightness. If you're sleeping, it's probably dark, so setting the screen brightness to 1% (I just checked it in a darkroom) should be enough to see the screen - and not cause burn-in for years. 5% is actually pretty bright in total darkness - 20% is blinding.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyari6908