Pie: Battery Life... Good. UI: Performance BAAAAAD.

RadeonHD

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I decided to wait a few days before complaining, haha....

I was eager to get Pie. I mean, who wasn't, but a lot of this redesign feels sort of, unpolished and unfinished.

For taking so long, I was expecting better I guess?

I'll start with the good. Battery life is slightly better on Pie for me. I am more consistently hitting 10 hours of screen within a minimum of 34 hours standby without resorting to any power saving modes.

However, what really bugs me is the slight lag I am expecting on this performance phone. It's more annoying than anything because of how noticeable it is. Exiting apps with lots of images or content I notice a drop in frames.

Apps like Facebook, Instagram and Twitter come to mind. Also Poweramp drops frames when exiting 100% of the time.

It's not the end of the world, but it just wasn't a problem at all in Oreo. Now it sticks out because not every app responds like that.

The app switcher seems buggy, and sometimes scrolling through UI elements is just jittery.

Before I waste time and energy resetting, I need someone with a good eye to let me know if I'm overreacting lol. Does anyone else see these random frame drops?

The easiest way to see what I'm talking about is to open a simple app like Calculator and exit, then open FB or IG and exit. If this were a 3 year old phone, I wouldn't care, but it's way too early in the game for this. 😥

note1note9

Sep 14, 2018
Visit site
I had frame drops when switching apps using the recent apps button as well, and it really got on my nerves.

But then goodlock got updated for Pie and so I'm using goodlock's task changer now and its lag/stutter free. Without goodlock I think I'll enjoy this whole note 9 experience a little less.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I decided to wait a few days before complaining, haha....

I was eager to get Pie. I mean, who wasn't, but a lot of this redesign feels sort of, unpolished and unfinished.

For taking so long, I was expecting better I guess?

I'll start with the good. Battery life is slightly better on Pie for me. I am more consistently hitting 10 hours of screen within a minimum of 34 hours standby without resorting to any power saving modes.

However, what really bugs me is the slight lag I am expecting on this performance phone. It's more annoying than anything because of how noticeable it is. Exiting apps with lots of images or content I notice a drop in frames.

Apps like Facebook, Instagram and Twitter come to mind. Also Poweramp drops frames when exiting 100% of the time.

It's not the end of the world, but it just wasn't a problem at all in Oreo. Now it sticks out because not every app responds like that.

The app switcher seems buggy, and sometimes scrolling through UI elements is just jittery.

Before I waste time and energy resetting, I need someone with a good eye to let me know if I'm overreacting lol. Does anyone else see these random frame drops?

The easiest way to see what I'm talking about is to open a simple app like Calculator and exit, then open FB or IG and exit. If this were a 3 year old phone, I wouldn't care, but it's way too early in the game for this. 😥

Make sure you have animation off in accessibility and developer mode they can cause these types of issues.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
My battery life is about 20% worse, I would guess. Maybe need to do a factory reset. Never had to with any other updates before.

wilsodw

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Mine as well however yesterday I shut off only adaptive battery and all animations to help hopefully with lag and battery. Cleared cache twice. Nothing new added for several months so must be a Pie issue for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair