Is it my responsibility to repair damage to my $1000 note9 caused by faulty a Android Pie update?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Since the update my phone no longer retains Bluetooth connections and passwords. The calendar has died, my screensaver (bought on Samsung Themes) has gone haywire, the secondary screens and apps are screwed up. YES I've restarted, YES I've tried re-entering all my bluetooth connections...every day for 9 days (?).

So, is it my responsibility to repair damage to my $1000 6 month old phone caused by sloppy software developers? Or, does anyone have a number to call at Samsung?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Since the update my phone no longer retains Bluetooth connections and passwords. The calendar has died, my screensaver (bought on Samsung Themes) has gone haywire, the secondary screens and apps are screwed up. YES I've restarted, YES I've tried re-entering all my bluetooth connections...every day for 9 days (?).

So, is it my responsibility to repair damage to my $1000 6 month old phone caused by sloppy software developers? Or, does anyone have a number to call at Samsung?
Some things in Theme store haven't been updated to pie yet for screen saver, bluetooth problem had issues until feburary patch , are you on that? And calendar what issues you having?

Last edited:

Brad Bilger

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
What you might have to do is backup your data to either Samsung, Google or back it up to your computer and do a factory reset. That'll usually smooth things out really well.

athomas917

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Worst case scenario; if your carrier pushed the update and it bricked your phone, it would be on them. If it's sideloaded or obtained by other means then it's on you.

Kurtis Wichmann

Mar 27, 2019
Visit site
Some things in Theme store haven't been updated to pie yet for screen saver, bluetooth problem had issues until feburary patch , are you on that? And calendar what issues you having?

Yes. That's the minor of my problems. The worst is Bluetooth. It doesn't retain connections in memory nor the passwords. I rely on my Samsung for business and MUST have bluetooth connections to corporate computers, printers and databases. But, including my personal devices. It now only retains the codes for my Gear Fit2 watch....that's it. I've tried everything short of nuking the phone and starting from scratch. That would be a bad thing. I'm wondering how it is a major corporation does not guarantee updates and quickly repair the damage done by their firmware/software. I want a song to man up and repair my $1000, 6 month old phone. The theme problem is that maker's mistake, and I believe Googkes calendar can be managed. But its SAMSUNGS update that wrecked my phone's major feature not mine.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes. That's the minor of my problems. The worst is Bluetooth. It doesn't retain connections in memory nor the passwords. I rely on my Samsung for business and MUST have bluetooth connections to corporate computers, printers and databases. But, including my personal devices. It now only retains the codes for my Gear Fit2 watch....that's it. I've tried everything short of nuking the phone and starting from scratch. That would be a bad thing. I'm wondering how it is a major corporation does not guarantee updates and quickly repair the damage done by their firmware/software. I want a song to man up and repair my $1000, 6 month old phone. The theme problem is that maker's mistake, and I believe Googkes calendar can be managed. But its SAMSUNGS update that wrecked my phone's major feature not mine.

Can you tell me a little about your phone , meaning is it a carrier or unlocked version ? Also sometimes when you have issues from updating to major OS it's good to factory reset to clear out old cache and data from previous firmware.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It would also help to know what you've specifically tried. Otherwise, people will suggest things that you've already tried, which can be frustrating for you.

waqqas31

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site

No one will offer to replace your phone until and unless you have done a factory reset to see if the problem persists. I would suggest backing up your data now and doing the factory reset yourself without having to run around.

Just Bill

Mar 29, 2019
Visit site
If it is under a year old you have a life vest of sorts, but you are in a position in where Samsung holds all the cards on this one my friend. If you call them up and explain the situation, Samsung will help you, but once in your phone they can tell if your problem originated with their update.
Samsung has improved Customer Service and hopefully you will have a painless operation and wish you luck.
And of course if you bought it at Best Buy and bought Geek Squad protection, then you are good to go. I have personally watched folks by insurance on a 800 buck TV, but decline it on an 1100 buck phone.

Just Bill

Mar 29, 2019
Visit site
I forgot to mention that "Bluetooth" is not a seamless operation or would you want it to be. Everyday I pair my Sony or Bose headphones and at times it takes up 15 seconds of my time. I do not need bluetooth to be on all the time, as it wastes battery. Bluetooth problems usually can be traced back to the user and the phone CANNOT handle more than two bluetooth devices at the same time.

MarqBland

Oct 13, 2009
www.facebook.com

Screenshot_20190325-092346_Samsung Members.jpg

I haven't had Bluetooth issues since doing this (knock on wood).

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Factory reset your phone. Software generally does not damage hardware.

I wager your phone will be fine after reset with no need to be fixed.

Regards,
R

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry but complaining about it and not giving any useful information for us to help you with is not making your situation any better.