I'm getting bored if the stock messages app on my note 9 and I'm wondering are there any better alternative out there. Im on Verizon and I haven't tried their messaging app but I'm curious to know what else is good. These are the times when I start to miss my iPhone for iMessage.
    Beansr519 and t-woody like this.
    04-22-2019 12:13 PM
    Good post! waiting to see the responses for my self as well!
    04-22-2019 12:47 PM
    For texting I love Textra... I've used it for years! For messaging I use Whatsapp.... I can't stand FB Messenger's interface.
    04-22-2019 01:05 PM
    The Verizon Messages plus app is very customizable and also allows limited chat (RCS), although only between you and other Verizon Messages clients. If you look at it closely you will find many ways to change the appearance. I used it for years and would still be using it if it would interface with the Samsung reminder app.

Once I found out I could long press a message in Samsung's default app and send to reminders I was done. This is by far the best option for me, it fits very nicely into my work flow.

Until Google, Android, and the carriers get it together and have universal RCS up and running you will not find anything on Android that will compare to iMessages.
    04-22-2019 01:33 PM
    For texting I love Textra... I've used it for years! For messaging I use Whatsapp.... I can't stand FB Messenger's interface.
    I'm not a big fan of Facebook messenger either, but in the US it's about the only option. Just not enough WhatsApp users.

I did find a way to get Facebook messages to view in dark mode. It's a little better that way.
    Beansr519 likes this.
    04-22-2019 01:54 PM
    I've been using Textra for years, across several phones, but suddenly, Google Assistant will no longer read texts aloud from third party SMS apps.
    GA will only sometimes read texts aloud from Google's Android Messages app and Samsung Messages.
    I don't know why this happened and I cannot find a cure.
    04-22-2019 03:26 PM
    If you want security from snoopers, Signal is your best bet. I also use Pulse, as it works with the Galaxy Watch as well.
    sandra_17 likes this.
    04-22-2019 05:07 PM
    I usually just use the stock messaging app, and Facebook messenger
    04-23-2019 05:00 AM
    If you want security from snoopers, Signal is your best bet. I also use Pulse, as it works with the Galaxy Watch as well.
    What do you mean by "snoopers"?
    04-23-2019 08:34 AM
    I've been using Textra for years, across several phones, but suddenly, Google Assistant will no longer read texts aloud from third party SMS apps.
    GA will only sometimes read texts aloud from Google's Android Messages app and Samsung Messages.
    I don't know why this happened and I cannot find a cure.
    I am using Textra and I haven't had an issue with the text being read aloud by google assistant.
    04-23-2019 10:06 AM
    My Note 9 arrives this Saturday. Goodbye iPhone.

Getting text messages on my phone AND computer is a big deal in my work. The Apple ecosystem is good about that.
    Seeing that I can, now, use either Windows 10 "My Phone" or Samsung's "Flow".....I'm saying goodbye to Apple.

Now, I'm wondering what texting apps are best for this cross-platform need of mine. I'm assuming Samsung's native texting app will work fine.....wondering about the others.
    04-24-2019 04:25 PM
    Besides the stock Samsung Messages app, I use: FB Messenger, Hangouts, KakaoTalk, GroupMe, Line (sometimes), and Telegram. Samsung Messages, FB Messenger, and KakaoTalk seem to be the ones I use the most on a regular basis.
    04-24-2019 05:04 PM
    My Note 9 arrives this Saturday. Goodbye iPhone.

Getting text messages on my phone AND computer is a big deal in my work. The Apple ecosystem is good about that.
    Seeing that I can, now, use either Windows 10 "My Phone" or Samsung's "Flow".....I'm saying goodbye to Apple.

Now, I'm wondering what texting apps are best for this cross-platform need of mine. I'm assuming Samsung's native texting app will work fine.....wondering about the others.
    I believe Android messages allows you to check your text messages through the computer
    04-25-2019 07:20 AM
    Have stayed with stock, but added Gboard.

Years ago used Signal & did not have any issues with it. But do not really know if it added anything security wise if no one else you may text was using it. Which turned out to mostly be the case for me.
    04-25-2019 08:02 AM
    I am using Textra and I haven't had an issue with the text being read aloud by google assistant.
    Do tell!
    Which version Note 9?
    Which Android version?
    Which version of Textra?
    Which Google version?

I know I'm not the only one with this issue.
    Google community forums are littered with threads about this issue.
    04-25-2019 08:18 AM
    Love Textra but I recently bought the Samasun Galaxy Watch and it will only accept messages from the default Samsung Messaging app.
    04-25-2019 08:24 AM
    I agree with Facebook messenger, do like WhatsApp.
    dm3ready likes this.
    04-25-2019 02:08 PM