What are the best messaging apps for the Note 9

Jonez8

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting bored if the stock messages app on my note 9 and I'm wondering are there any better alternative out there. Im on Verizon and I haven't tried their messaging app but I'm curious to know what else is good. These are the times when I start to miss my iPhone for iMessage.

dm3ready

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
For texting I love Textra... I've used it for years! For messaging I use Whatsapp.... I can't stand FB Messenger's interface.

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
The Verizon Messages plus app is very customizable and also allows limited chat (RCS), although only between you and other Verizon Messages clients. If you look at it closely you will find many ways to change the appearance. I used it for years and would still be using it if it would interface with the Samsung reminder app.

Once I found out I could long press a message in Samsung's default app and send to reminders I was done. This is by far the best option for me, it fits very nicely into my work flow.

Until Google, Android, and the carriers get it together and have universal RCS up and running you will not find anything on Android that will compare to iMessages.

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
For texting I love Textra... I've used it for years! For messaging I use Whatsapp.... I can't stand FB Messenger's interface.
I'm not a big fan of Facebook messenger either, but in the US it's about the only option. Just not enough WhatsApp users.

I did find a way to get Facebook messages to view in dark mode. It's a little better that way.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I've been using Textra for years, across several phones, but suddenly, Google Assistant will no longer read texts aloud from third party SMS apps.
GA will only sometimes read texts aloud from Google's Android Messages app and Samsung Messages.
I don't know why this happened and I cannot find a cure.

svtcobra

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
If you want security from snoopers, Signal is your best bet. I also use Pulse, as it works with the Galaxy Watch as well.

Carrie Greicar

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I've been using Textra for years, across several phones, but suddenly, Google Assistant will no longer read texts aloud from third party SMS apps.
GA will only sometimes read texts aloud from Google's Android Messages app and Samsung Messages.
I don't know why this happened and I cannot find a cure.

I am using Textra and I haven't had an issue with the text being read aloud by google assistant.

kelton

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
My Note 9 arrives this Saturday. Goodbye iPhone.

Getting text messages on my phone AND computer is a big deal in my work. The Apple ecosystem is good about that.
Seeing that I can, now, use either Windows 10 "My Phone" or Samsung's "Flow".....I'm saying goodbye to Apple.

Now, I'm wondering what texting apps are best for this cross-platform need of mine. I'm assuming Samsung's native texting app will work fine.....wondering about the others.

davisgq

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Besides the stock Samsung Messages app, I use: FB Messenger, Hangouts, KakaoTalk, GroupMe, Line (sometimes), and Telegram. Samsung Messages, FB Messenger, and KakaoTalk seem to be the ones I use the most on a regular basis.

Carrie Greicar

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
My Note 9 arrives this Saturday. Goodbye iPhone.

Getting text messages on my phone AND computer is a big deal in my work. The Apple ecosystem is good about that.
Seeing that I can, now, use either Windows 10 "My Phone" or Samsung's "Flow".....I'm saying goodbye to Apple.

Now, I'm wondering what texting apps are best for this cross-platform need of mine. I'm assuming Samsung's native texting app will work fine.....wondering about the others.

I believe Android messages allows you to check your text messages through the computer

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Have stayed with stock, but added Gboard.

Years ago used Signal & did not have any issues with it. But do not really know if it added anything security wise if no one else you may text was using it. Which turned out to mostly be the case for me.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I am using Textra and I haven't had an issue with the text being read aloud by google assistant.

Do tell!
Which version Note 9?
Which Android version?
Which version of Textra?
Which Google version?

I know I'm not the only one with this issue.
Google community forums are littered with threads about this issue.

Last edited:

Mike_Luchia

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
Love Textra but I recently bought the Samasun Galaxy Watch and it will only accept messages from the default Samsung Messaging app.

2creus

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
I like Mood for now. I did hear Textra(?) was good though. I just got a Note 9 from T-mobile when I switched from Verizon. They updated it to the latest OS. 9 (ONE UI) I was using the "Messages" app that was on the phone but my son sent me a small video (20-30 sec) and it said I had to download Verizon's app. (Chris has a Note 8 with Verizon) I don't understand why it couldn't open the video with one of my video player apps. I paid for Mood but may switch to Textra if it gets funky.
As for Facebook, I want nothing to do with them anymore so messaging is not an issue for me.

Last edited:

adegbenroagoro

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm getting bored if the stock messages app on my note 9 and I'm wondering are there any better alternative out there. Im on Verizon and I haven't tried their messaging app but I'm curious to know what else is good. These are the times when I start to miss my iPhone for iMessage.

Textra is the bomb. IF you don't need to see I incoming messages on your smart watch. If you do I'd stick with the stock Samsung Message app.

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
For cross platform and internet enabled messaging, FB messenger is good and WhatsApp is best here in the US.

I say WhatsApp is best because it is least intrusive and connected to phone number rather than some other account.

Verizon messages works well but the PC / iPad versions really stink. They don’t always sync properly.

R