Why do Asian markets get better phones?

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
With the Note 10 coming out I'm still wondering why do Asian markets like South Korea for example get a bigger selection of phones and beefier versions of the flagships as well?

With the Note 10 rumored to have different models I wonder if they will get a jacked up version of the Note 10 with more ram.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Possibly. Why? Because US consumers are used to taking what they get and not complaining. The typical Android Central user isn't the typical US cellphone user.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Possibly. Why? Because US consumers are used to taking what they get and not complaining. The typical Android Central user isn't the typical US cellphone user.

I agree. My mom can't understand why I buy a new $1000 phone every year for and thinks it's a waste of money. At my cell accessory kiosk at the fleamarket most people have iphones and most use phones that are a couple years old and don't want to buy a new phone every year they tell me.

Like lots of people have the XR iPhone or the iPhone 7 and 8 versions which have trash LCD screens for example. I could NOT use an LCD screen vs AMOLED. Yet LCD works just fine for them.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I agree. My mom can't understand why I buy a new $1000 phone every year for and thinks it's a waste of money. At my cell accessory kiosk at the fleamarket most people have iphones and most use phones that are a couple years old and don't want to buy a new phone every year they tell me.

Like lots of people have the XR iPhone or the iPhone 7 and 8 versions which have trash LCD screens for example. I could NOT use an LCD screen vs AMOLED. Yet LCD works just fine for them.

1. The iPhone's LCD is not trash , its probably best LCD on the market.
2. South Korea dont have a better s10
Version the US has the SD855 7nm chip vs Samsung own Exynos 8nm chip in South Korea.

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
It's because of the huge competition amongst the android vendors in Asia, particularly Chinese OEM's. In Asia there are hundreds of different android devices and they have to use various features like specs to differentiate and compete (e.g ram and storage). In somewhere like the US, there are only a few different android OEM's so there is less competition.

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Version the US has the SD855 7nm chip vs Samsung own Exynos 8nm chip in South Korea.

The Xr should have been 1080p. No it's not trash but that screen made it dead on arrival for me. I also owned the 6, 6S and 7 plus and on there own their displays were pleasant but when you put them next to the Samsung flagship of their generation it made the display look like trash.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
With the Note 10 coming out I'm still wondering why do Asian markets like South Korea for example get a bigger selection of phones and beefier versions of the flagships as well?

With the Note 10 rumored to have different models I wonder if they will get a jacked up version of the Note 10 with more ram.

How much RAM do you need? S10 plus comes with 6 to 12 RAM so I can't imagine Note 10 having any less options. I have 8GB on my S10 Plus and it's overkill

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Note 9 came in either 6gb or 8gb ram

Exactly....I imagine the Note 10 will have 8 and 12. This whole RAM thing is over the top at the moment. More RAM uses more battery whether you use it or not. There is a slight savings because it doesn't have to reload as often but overall two equal phones except for RAM....the higher RAM model will use more battery especially on standby. It's not a big difference but it's less efficient.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Exactly....I imagine the Note 10 will have 8 and 12. This whole RAM thing is over the top at the moment. More RAM uses more battery whether you use it or not. There is a slight savings because it doesn't have to reload as often but overall two equal phones except for RAM....the higher RAM model will use more battery especially on standby. It's not a big difference but it's less efficient.
I agree
The Note probably be same RAM as the s10 but faster internal storage speed 2.1 to 3.0 I think those numbers are correct

note1note9

Sep 14, 2018
Visit site

I agree. Have you tried using an exynos note 9? Iam using the exynos version and intensive gaming sucks on it tbh.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I agree. Have you tried using an exynos note 9? Iam using the exynos version and intensive gaming sucks on it tbh.
It gets thermally throttled faster. Not sure if the Game Launcher performance setting would help. Game Tuner would previously allow you to disable the early thermal throttling, but that wasn't made compatible with Pie.

note1note9

Sep 14, 2018
Visit site
It gets thermally throttled faster. Not sure if the Game Launcher performance setting would help. Game Tuner would previously allow you to disable the early thermal throttling, but that wasn't made compatible with Pie.

I have tried everything from the game launcher, game tuner. Nothing works, it's the phone itself you cant change what's in it.
Luckily it only works bad on games like pubg. The other games are fine and I'm long over this issue. Just that for my next phone I'll just have to seriously consider whether a Samsung is still worth it as we only get exynos models in my country.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
The Xr should have been 1080p. No it's not trash but that screen made it dead on arrival for me. I also owned the 6, 6S and 7 plus and on there own their displays were pleasant but when you put them next to the Samsung flagship of their generation it made the display look like trash.

That's what I was trying to say. Compared to our Galaxy's the Apple LCD is trash. Even Flossy said it before about the ip7. I tried an LCD phone when the Note 7 was killed and hated the display.

Anyway, it's rumored the Note 10 will be a 4k screen. I'm pumped about that but the price not so much I'm sure.