Anyone else still on Feb security update

Wbutchart1

Feb 14, 2019
Visit site
My note 9 is still on the Feb security update and I was wondering if this is the case for others too? I am not impressed at all, a phone I am paying obscene amounts of money for and a Nokia 6.1 would have more recent updates! This phone should never be this out of date in its 3 years support.

adegbenroagoro

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
My note 9 is still on the Feb security update and I was wondering if this is the case for others too? I am not impressed at all, a phone I am paying obscene amounts of money for and a Nokia 6.1 would have more recent updates! This phone should never be this out of date in its 3 years support.

That means I shouldn't be annoyed at still being on the March security patch. Prior to April they were arriving by the 20th day of the month. I don't expect OS updates as fast as Google Pixels and Nokia(and actually don't want them that fast. ) but the monthly security updates should be regular.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Which model and carrier do you have? The April security patch fixes some nasty (full phone takeover) vulnerabilities, so Samsung and most carriers seemed to be in a hurry to get that one out with little delay. Last week, the unlocked US model (SM-N960U1) even got the CSD1 firmware update (with the April 1 security patch) just 10 days after it got the CSC2 update (March 1 security patch)--two updates in one month, less than two weeks apart.

So the first thing you should do is figure out whether it's your entire model/carrier that's out of date, or whether it's just your own phone that hasn't been seeing the updates. Try to find the online firmware release notes for your phone.

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

If your phone is having issues updating, I have a stickie thread could help you get back to latest firmware for your phone.

Wbutchart1

Feb 14, 2019
Visit site
Which model and carrier do you have? The April security patch fixes some nasty (full phone takeover) vulnerabilities, so Samsung and most carriers seemed to be in a hurry to get that one out with little delay. Last week, the unlocked US model (SM-N960U1) even got the CSD1 firmware update (with the April 1 security patch) just 10 days after it got the CSC2 update (March 1 security patch)--two updates in one month, less than two weeks apart.

So the first thing you should do is figure out whether it's your entire model/carrier that's out of date, or whether it's just your own phone that hasn't been seeing the updates. Try to find the online firmware release notes for your phone.
As with another post here I am on UK unlocked - updates directly from Samsung. Also checked sammobile firmware and there are no new updates listed there for my phone either.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Wife has a unlocked note 9 from Best Buy.

You will get security updates before her.

Ask yourself .
What do you have on your phone that is so important that you need to worry about security updates.

Wbutchart1

Feb 14, 2019
Visit site
Wife has a unlocked note 9 from Best Buy.

You will get security updates before her.

Ask yourself .
What do you have on your phone that is so important that you need to worry about security updates.
That's easy. As a leader of a charity I have confidential emails, confidential messages, notes about situations and people related to them. Gdpr protected distribution lists... I could go on!

Wbutchart1

Feb 14, 2019
Visit site
If Samsung thought there was a problem they would release a update.
Have you had any security problems with your phone.
Probably not.
But it's o.k. for the government to track where you live.
Where you work.
And every where you go.
And no security update will fix this.
Find a bridge, this is a no trolling thread.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
If Samsung thought there was a problem they would release a update.
Samsung knows there are several critical problems. So does Google. They both say so in their online release notes for Android's April 1 security patch, which Samsung did release for the Note9 in the US.

Wbutchart1

Feb 14, 2019
Visit site
It won't protect you from vulnerabilities that let an attacker run arbitrary code on your phone with elevated privileges. The April 1 security patch fixes several such problems.
That's really concerning. I do tend to use secure folder for the extra sensitive stuff, alarming that this is a bug and despite my phone getting updates directly from Samsung with it being unlocked that they haven't bothered to do so.

evohicks

May 25, 2015
Visit site
My wife has the S9 which has had constant updates, it's not like Samsung holding back on the Note 9, maybe there is an issue because I'm sure the Note 8 is getting regular updates too.

Wbutchart1

Feb 14, 2019
Visit site
My wife has the S9 which has had constant updates, it's not like Samsung holding back on the Note 9, maybe there is an issue because I'm sure the Note 8 is getting regular updates too.

No issue with phone -

https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/galaxy-note9/SM-N960F/BTU/

Just no updates. I'm wondering if they have cut back due to the bad quarter and my phone has been cut loose. There is no explainable reason why all notes bar this one have the updates. Even the carrier uk ones have them but the unlocked has been discarded.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
What carrier are you on? I'm with Sprint, and though I'm not happy about that lol, my Note 9 is on April security.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
No issue with phone -

Just no updates. I'm wondering if they have cut back due to the bad quarter and my phone has been cut loose. There is no explainable reason why all notes bar this one have the updates. Even the carrier uk ones have them but the unlocked has been discarded.

See if anything in Smart Switch on your computer, if not find the latest on your version sammobile ,if ones available flash through Odin.

evohicks

May 25, 2015
Visit site
No issue with phone -

I didn't mean an issue with the phone, I meant the software, but still 18th March was the last update and that was another Feb 1st security patch but coming in at 220mb maybe it was more than that.