Dropped my phone in tub with Epsom Salt

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I I know this phone is water resistant and it was only underwater about 3 or 4 seconds, but, I had a good amount of Epsom salt in my bath water. Is this going to be a problem? The phone appears to be okay and I'm voice typing this message on my Note 9. Could the salt cause a corrosion problem? Thanks

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I I know this phone is water resistant and it was only underwater about 3 or 4 seconds, but, I had a good amount of Epsom salt in my bath water. Is this going to be a problem? The phone appears to be okay and I'm voice typing this message on my Note 9. Could the salt cause a corrosion problem? Thanks
The phone should be fine. Just submerge it for a few minutes in a container of clean water. Avoid rinsing it under a faucet, because the pressure of the emerging water could exceed what the phone is rated to withstand.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Since Epsom salts will erode the insides of the phone, Gary, just "rinsing" the outside of the phone won't save it. (And dropping it into water far exceeds its water resistance.)

TheWounded

Nov 27, 2018
Visit site
Well as the note 9 is water resistant, I highly doubt the inside is going too corrode, FFS on about making the poster worry about the inside getting ****ed up.
It will be fine after a gentle dunk in water.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Well as the note 9 is water resistant, I highly doubt the inside is going too corrode, FFS on about making the poster worry about the inside getting ****ed up.
It will be fine after a gentle dunk in water.

Probably wont go where the gaskets are but still corrode the bottom charging port pins or headphone Jack contacts if not rinsed quickly after with water .

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The phone should be fine. Just submerge it for a few minutes in a container of clean water. Avoid rinsing it under a faucet, because the pressure of the emerging water could exceed what the phone is rated to withstand.

Dont put the faucet full blast just enough to trickle out little bit and rinse the phone .

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Although I certainly hope the phone is fine, the IP rating is not a guarantee that the phone will be impervious to water damage. So it would be wise to make sure all important data is regularly backed up or synced, in case some evidence of internal damage does arise in the near future.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
In this case, it isn't the water I'd be concerned with. It's the salt. There are exposed contact points in the charging port and headphone jack that be damaged by salt water
Although I certainly hope the phone is fine, the IP rating is not a guarantee that the phone will be impervious to water damage. So it would be wise to make sure all important data is regularly backed up or synced, in case some evidence of internal damage does arise in the near future.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Folks have reported taking pics with the Note 9, while swimming. I don't think the OP has anything to lose at this point by submerging the Note 9 in a bowl of water, in order to rinse off the Epsom Salts.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
The OP is freaking out now :eek: I checked this thread right after the first reply was made and gently rinsed it under cold running water. All seems well, so far so I'll refrain from introducing more water into it's ports by soaking it.
Note to self: No more watching You Tube when using Epson Salts in the bath water!

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
It still amazes me every time I see a thread about someone dropping their phone in ________ (fill in the blank, toilet, tub, etc). I never have taken my phone into the bathroom. And that’s from the very beginning of phones, pre-Android,etc. :)

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
It still amazes me every time I see a thread about someone dropping their phone in ________ (fill in the blank, toilet, tub, etc). I never have taken my phone into the bathroom. And that’s from the very beginning of phones, pre-Android,etc. :)

I believe that you are in the minority, amazed as you are.

Like I posted earlier, folks take the Note 9 swimming and have recorded video and taken pics, while under water.
Water is not an issue, Epsom Salts, maybe, but not water /chlorine. I can't recall if any were swimming in salt water, but some reported using it in pools.

Last edited:

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

I have just haven't had an accident with it while in the Bathroom. But as well all know accidents can happen anywhere .

Carrie Greicar

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

I can't say I have ever taken my phone into the bathtub. I am not that daring.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
It still amazes me every time I see a thread about someone dropping their phone in ________ (fill in the blank, toilet, tub, etc). I never have taken my phone into the bathroom.
A bathroom is no more dangerous for a phone than any other hard-surface environment is. Dropping an IP68 phone into a full bathtub is safer than into an empty one.

Mike_Luchia

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 22

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463