I tried googling for the answer, but because of the wording the results don't apply specifically.

We have Verizon branded Note 9s, the wife and I. We are in Indonesia and while in airplane mode, using the hotel wifi, we are receiving both SMS and MMS but are unable to send either over wifi. The wife uses the Samsung Messages app and I use Textra.

Is there a reason for this, that someone here knows and is willing to share?

I can't make sense of why it only works one way.
    05-13-2019 09:17 PM
    Well, no one has commented, but at least 110 folks read what I had to say.
    😊
    mustang7757 and mike104393 like this.
    05-15-2019 02:04 AM
    Well, no one has commented, but at least 110 folks read what I had to say.
    😊
    You spying on us πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
    But to answer your question what have you tried so far because your pretty good at troubleshooting yourself?
    05-15-2019 08:15 AM
    You spying on us πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
    But to answer your question what have you tried so far because your pretty good at troubleshooting yourself?
    Yes, I reckon I was trolling my own thread. 😊
    Well, I really don't know what to troubleshoot, because in my experience SMS & MMS don't send /receive over wifi on Android.
    After receiving on both phones, I thought maybe it was another case of Samsung mimicking iPhone, but then I couldn't send. I switched my default to the Samsung Messages app, with no joy.
    I should have tried the Verizon Messages app. That one seems to be different in many ways. It does have settings for syncing over wifi. Samsung Messages and Textra do not.
    Maybe that's how we are receiving, but unable to send. The Verizon app is receiving but not allowing outgoing with another app at as default.
    I just made Verizon Message+ the default SMS app and sent text messages to four people, with wifi on only, but haven't heard back yet.
    I'm pretty sure it's awake time on the US West Coast. πŸ˜‰
    mustang7757 likes this.
    05-15-2019 07:29 PM
    Yes, I reckon I was trolling my own thread.
    Well, I really don't know what to troubleshoot, because in my experience SMS & MMS don't send /receive over wifi on Android.
    After receiving on both phones, I thought maybe it was another case of Samsung mimicking iPhone, but then I couldn't send. I switched my default to the Samsung Messages app, with no joy.
    I should have tried the Verizon Messages app. That one seems to be different in many ways. It does have some for syncing over wifi. Samsung Messages and Textra do not.
    Maybe that's how we are receiving, but unable to send. The Verizon app is receiving but not allowing outgoing with another app at as default.
    I just made Verizon Message +the default SMS app and sent text messages to four people, with wifi on only, but haven't heard back yet.
    I'm pretty sure it's awake time on the US West Coast.
    It gets tricky with using phone that's mainly for one region and using in another , make sure your time and date is updated where you are
    05-15-2019 07:32 PM
    Ok, I just heard back from someone, using the Verizon Message+ app as default, over wifi, only.
    WHO KNEW?!
    05-15-2019 07:40 PM
    It gets tricky with using phone that's mainly for one region and using in another , make sure your time and date is updated where you are
    Yup. Time & date on auto and correct.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    05-15-2019 07:51 PM
    Yup. Time & date on auto and correct.
    That's a tough one to troubleshoot without seeing the phone .
    05-16-2019 09:22 AM
    Y'all know that since Android messager implemented desktop messages, you can now send from wifi using using Android messager. Hopefully this answers your question.
    05-16-2019 02:28 PM
    Y'all know that since Android messager implemented desktop messages, you can now send from wifi using using Android messager. Hopefully this answers your question.
    I did not know that, but this may be the reason SMS are being received but cannot be sent, since we are not using the Google SMS app.
    Thanks for sharing the knowledge!
    05-16-2019 07:27 PM
    Correction to the above...
    Today Textra received and sent SMS over wifi.
    According to their web site, Textra will not send or receive MMS over wifi, if your service is Verizon.

ETA, just for research, I sent and received SMS over wifi, with both the Samsung Messages app and Google's Android Messages app.

IDK what was different the first day I received an SMS over wifi, but couldn't send on Textra or the Samsung Messages app, but I can now.
    05-18-2019 01:29 AM
    Correction to the above...
    Today Textra received and sent SMS over wifi.
    According to their web site, Textra will not send or receive MMS over wifi, if your service is Verizon.

ETA, just for research, I sent and received SMS over wifi, with both the Samsung Messages app and Google's Android Messages app.

IDK what was different the first day I received an SMS over wifi, but couldn't send on Textra or the Samsung Messages app, but I can now.
    Just be glad its working
    05-18-2019 07:30 PM
    Just be glad its working
    I am thankful!
    I would like to understand what happened, tho, but the world may never know. 😊
    mustang7757 likes this.
    05-18-2019 09:12 PM
    I am thankful!
    I would like to understand what happened, tho, but the world may never know. 😊
    How long you staying in Indonesia?
    05-18-2019 09:32 PM
    How long you staying in Indonesia?
    Leaving today, after ten days. It's been a good time.
    It was a missions trip mixed with a bit of holiday. All good.
    05-18-2019 09:37 PM
    Leaving today, after ten days. It's been a good time.
    It was a missions trip mixed with a bit of holiday. All good.
    That's so cool , and nice experience.
    05-18-2019 09:38 PM
    I've had problem sending MMS texts, via WiFi for a few hours, then it just started working. Not sure if there is a science to it.
    pizza_pablo likes this.
    05-19-2019 07:11 PM