New update for Note 9 with May

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Still nothing on Verizon.
My wife's Verizon version got an update last night. I'm guessing it was a security update, but it didn't give any info. She was using it and all of a sudden it started the update process that renders her phone useless until it's done. Glad she wasn't in the middle of an emergency situation or anything. It use to ask her to update.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
My wife's Verizon version got an update last night. I'm guessing it was a security update, but it didn't give any info.
Which update is it? Given the firmware version, we can determine whether it was just a security update.

She was using it and all of a sudden it started the update process that renders her phone useless until it's done. Glad she wasn't in the middle of an emergency situation or anything. It use[d] to ask her to update.
Yes, that's disturbing. Is it possible that it popped up a request for permission that she reflexively (or even accidentally) tapped on, allowing it to proceed?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
My wife's Verizon version got an update last night. I'm guessing it was a security update, but it didn't give any info. She was using it and all of a sudden it started the update process that renders her phone useless until it's done. Glad she wasn't in the middle of an emergency situation or anything. It use to ask her to update.
Usually it downloads the update in the background and after it's done it will ask do you want to install now or later .

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes, that's disturbing. Is it possible that it popped up a request for permission that she reflexively (or even accidentally) tapped on, allowing it to proceed?

Usually it downloads the update in the background and after it's done it will ask do you want to install now or later .

It use to ask her to update, but she said the last few updates have done it without prompting her. Once it finished, I went into the developers options and turned automatic system updates off, so we'll see how that goes. I know Verizon will force an update without warning if you don't allow it or find a way to block it, but that's usually after giving you several chances to do so when convenient to you.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It use to ask her to update, but she said the last few updates have done it without prompting her. Once it finished, I went into the developers options and turned automatic system updates off, so we'll see how that goes. I know Verizon will force an update without warning if you don't allow it or find a way to block it, but that's usually after giving you several chances to do so when convenient to you.
Yeah maybe that automatic update did it . Like you said see what happens.

adegbenroagoro

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site

Go to Settings and check Software Update and check Auto Download over WiFi. Maybe it's clicked on.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
So I'm now on May ( thanks Ruben) . Everything went smoothly up until I happen to look at my phone and I saw the word "erasing". I had two small heart attacks because I decided not to back up my phone this time, but all is well. It was a false alarm.lol

adegbenroagoro

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
So I'm now on May ( thanks Ruben) . Everything went smoothly up until I happen to look at my phone and I saw the word "erasing". I had two small heart attacks because I decided not to back up my phone this time, but all is well. It was a false alarm.lol

Considering your "stormy" relationship with AT&T being on this forum is a Godsend 🙂

anon(10598448)

Apr 15, 2019
Visit site

I believe that "erasing" message you saw when the phone reboots after the update is the system deleting some files that were created during the update including the update file itself.