Note 8 to Note 9. Bump in Battery life?

edo101

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Anybody here upgraded from a Note 8 to Note 9 and can comment on how much better the battery life is?

The note 8 battery life for me has been dissappointing. I just sent mine in for repair and it is coming back tomorrow looking prestine. I started thinking of selling it in its refurb condition on ebay for around maybe 350 and take a hit and get a used Note 9 with the hopes of getting a better battery as a result.

Is this worth it? The improved camera and speakers is also a plus.
But my main concern is battery life. The Note 9s are going on Swappa for 500 bucks on average

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Anybody here upgraded from a Note 8 to Note 9 and can comment on how much better the battery life is?

The note 8 battery life for me has been dissappointing. I just sent mine in for repair and it is coming back tomorrow looking prestine. I started thinking of selling it in its refurb condition on ebay for around maybe 350 and take a hit and get a used Note 9 with the hopes of getting a better battery as a result.

Is this worth it? The improved camera and speakers is also a plus.
But my main concern is battery life. The Note 9s are going on Swappa for 500 bucks on average

I have not been disappointed in battery life at all on my note9, unless you have some app or application causing a drain you will get very solid results from the note9 battery

thecomicbookandme

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
The Note 8 has a 3300 mah battery. My previous phone, an S7 edge had a 3600 mah battery. I found the upgrade to the Note 9,with its 4000 mah battery a significant improvement.

edo101

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Jump, you'll be happy you made the switch

The Note 8 has a 3300 mah battery. My previous phone, an S7 edge had a 3600 mah battery. I found the upgrade to the Note 9,with its 4000 mah battery a significant improvement.

Even if I am buying it used? The Note 9 I mean. I am on MetroPCS so i don't get contracts for phones like Note line which I exclusively use

v65rider

Aug 26, 2018
Visit site
Can't comment on the Note 8 since I went from the Note 4 to the V20 and now the Note 9. I easily get all day use on the phone with plenty of room to spare. Bear in mind, I'm always using medium power saving mode. I only have to disable this when using apps that require GPS, like MapMyRun. Other than that, everything else I use runs fine with medium power saving mode. YMMV.
cc623ac798a6f4bff1c5f5cd3c7af026.jpg

edo101

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I have not been disappointed in battery life at all on my note9, unless you have some app or application causing a drain you will get very solid results from the note9 battery

Note 9 with Pie has ridiculous battery life even with heavy usage.

What kind of apps do y'all use and how is your usage?

I have facebook, IG, snapchat and some dating apps that need to sync all the time. In addition to email. Keep in mind, I would be buying the Note 9 used from swppa so I don't know how well batttery would be?

edo101

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Can't comment on the Note 8 since I went from the Note 4 to the V20 and now the Note 9. I easily get all day use on the phone with plenty of room to spare. Bear in mind, I'm always using medium power saving mode. I only have to disable this when using apps that require GPS, like MapMyRun. Other than that, everything else I use runs fine with medium power saving mode. YMMV.
cc623ac798a6f4bff1c5f5cd3c7af026.jpg

How much SoT do you get and is it all day usage?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
What kind of apps do y'all use and how is your usage?

I have facebook, IG, snapchat and some dating apps that need to sync all the time. In addition to email. Keep in mind, I would be buying the Note 9 used from swppa so I don't know how well batttery would be?
Soc media , banking apps few others probably no more then 40 to 50 apps altogether download.

thecomicbookandme

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
I expect if you buy a used device that has been tortured battery - wise, allowed to run down to 0, etc, you could find it inferior to your note 8. However, under normal use and relative similarities in screen size, etc, the larger battery will give longer performance.
Even if I am buying it used? The Note 9 I mean. I am on MetroPCS so i don't get contracts for phones like Note line which I exclusively use

edo101

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I get between 8 to 10 SOT with a day usuage
Almost 2 days with SOT 6 to 7 hrs

That sounds too good to be true man. No offense. What sort of rooting and power saving measures are you doing? 8 to 10 SOT is ridiculous. I barely manage 5 with my Note 8 on a good day. That 700 mah bump can't be that significant. Keep in mind, i get 5 hours if I am mainly watching videos. for nomal use, the phone dies around 4 hours SOT

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
That sounds too good to be true man. No offense. What sort of rooting and power saving measures are you doing? 8 to 10 SOT is ridiculous. I barely manage 5 with my Note 8 on a good day. That 700 mah bump can't be that significant. Keep in mind, i get 5 hours if I am mainly watching videos. for nomal use, the phone dies around 4 hours SOT
No power saving modes , do watch YouTube videos

edo101

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I expect if you buy a used device that has been tortured battery - wise, allowed to run down to 0, etc, you could find it inferior to your note 8. However, under normal use and relative similarities in screen size, etc, the larger battery will give longer performance.

I suppose if the battery is trash, I can just walk into a Samsung repair shop and get battery replaced since all Note 9s are still under warranty till mid August?