How can I prevent T-Mobile OTA pie update and stay on 8.1?

NoteSansPie

Jun 7, 2019
Visit site
I have a Galaxy note 9 running 8.1 and would like to stay there. My phone is the T-Mobile branded one. Unfortunately it seems that my phone has downloaded the OTA update to pie and is asking me to install it. I clicked "Later" but I'm afraid that won't last forever. How can I delete the downloaded data and also disable the update from happening in the future?

I am a complete novice when it comes to software stuff so things like "flashing" memory etc may be beyond my scope unless it's very simple. I do follow instruction well though :)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I have a Galaxy note 9 running 8.1 and would like to stay there. My phone is the T-Mobile branded one. Unfortunately it seems that my phone has downloaded the OTA update to pie and is asking me to install it. I clicked "Later" but I'm afraid that won't last forever. How can I delete the downloaded data and also disable the update from happening in the future?

I am a complete novice when it comes to software stuff so things like "flashing" memory etc may be beyond my scope unless it's very simple. I do follow instruction well though :)
I wouldn't prevent pie , you may not like the new icons or certain things but you have the theme store, Nova and other things that get you back to liking it, what you dont get if you dont update not up to date security for the phone latest OS things and apps that might not be compatible. If you dont know how to flash I think you should stay away from this.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Rooting the phone will prevent the update from installing (you'll still be bothered to update it, but if the update starts, it checks the phone first and, at about the 25% point, it will report "failure" because updating a rooted phone could brick it.

If you carefully follow the instructions at https://forum.xda-developers.com/ga...s-recoveries--other-development/root-t3927413 you should have no problem. You can skip al the technical explanations.

But, as mustang7757 says, you won't get the security patches either.

NoteSansPie

Jun 7, 2019
Visit site
I understand that I am forgoing security updates and I'm ok with that. After finishing up with a Galaxy S7 that was painfully slow on its last update and having it eat battery, I'd like to stick with the original software. There are other things like the camera app, layout, etc. that I'd just rather stick to.

Aside from rooting the phone, is there any way to just kill the update program? How can I delete the downloaded update to free up memory? I read someplace that rebooting the phone would install the update - so do I need to factory data reset and start over? (I just got the phone so I'm ok doing that)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I understand that I am forgoing security updates and I'm ok with that. After finishing up with a Galaxy S7 that was painfully slow on its last update and having it eat battery, I'd like to stick with the original software. There are other things like the camera app, layout, etc. that I'd just rather stick to.

Aside from rooting the phone, is there any way to just kill the update program? How can I delete the downloaded update to free up memory? I read someplace that rebooting the phone would install the update - so do I need to factory data reset and start over? (I just got the phone so I'm ok doing that)
If you on 8.1 oreo and just want to stop the update , download package disabler in play store( not free) disable the software update in settings then apls>then system settings

NoteSansPie

Jun 7, 2019
Visit site
If you on 8.1 oreo and just want to stop the update , download package disabler in play store( not free) disable the software update in settings then apls>then system settings

Thanks, that sounds right up my alley. What's the best way to remove the software download though (it already downloaded, just not installed). Should I factory reset the phone and start from scratch?

Also, not sure what you mean by apls>then system settings

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks, that sounds right up my alley. What's the best way to remove the software download though (it already downloaded, just not installed). Should I factory reset the phone and start from scratch?

Sorry meant apps
No need to factory reset

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

In package disabler type software update and hit disable. Good luck , your welcome!

NoteSansPie

Jun 7, 2019
Visit site
Aside from this software (which seems to have some issues with people having to rebuy it over and over), I read about changing the modem software version so that it would not match the software version and therefore not update. Is that a relatively easy option?

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
I wouldn't prevent pie either, if I'm not mistaken it had some critical security updates with it as well.

Altering anything that requires root will 100% void any warranty and insurance coverage for this phone. It will also break most banking and financial apps as well. I am not sure if root breaks any of Samsung services.

Your best bet is to disable the feature the way it was explained before using a package disabler. I would not recommend altering any modem software version or anything with in the phones software. If you have never done it, Samsung phones are not the ones you want to learn on.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Aside from this software (which seems to have some issues with people having to rebuy it over and over), I read about changing the modem software version so that it would not match the software version and therefore not update. Is that a relatively easy option?

I'm just giving you how to stop software update , this is not root or changing anything else or flashing any files . This is only to stop the update.

NoteSansPie

Jun 7, 2019
Visit site
I wouldn't prevent pie either, if I'm not mistaken it had some critical security updates with it as well.

Altering anything that requires root will 100% void any warranty and insurance coverage for this phone. It will also break most banking and financial apps as well. I am not sure if root breaks any of Samsung services.

Your best bet is to disable the feature the way it was explained before using a package disabler. I would not recommend altering any modem software version or anything with in the phones software. If you have never done it, Samsung phones are not the ones you want to learn on.

Thank you. Aside from the package disabler that was mentioned previously, is there another one you'd recommend? That one seems to have issues with people having to purchase it multiple times...

NoteSansPie

Jun 7, 2019
Visit site
I'm just giving you how to stop software update , this is not root or changing anything else or flashing any files . This is only to stop the update.

Thanks, Mustang. I appreciate all your replies! I think the package disabler sounds like the best option for me. Aside from the one you mentioned, do you know of others in the play store? The one you mentioned earlier seems to have issues with people have to buy it over and over again.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Your welcome, that's the one I've always used in the past .
Thanks, Mustang. I appreciate all your replies! I think the package disabler sounds like the best option for me. Aside from the one you mentioned, do you know of others in the play store? The one you mentioned earlier seems to have issues with people have to buy it over and over again.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Wouldn't a custom recovery stop it as well? Just installing that and not the root file?

Yeah it would but not the US version with lock bootloader cant put customer recovery.

Edit: my thinking he saying "root the phone" is to gain access to install custom recovery which cant on the US version with locked bootloader.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So then, root isn't an option...the root file needs a custom recovery in order to install it?

The other thing is , if you could root the phone and install superuser no need for custom recovery and can disable packages like software update or modifying the stock firmware all without a custom recovery as superuser access management tools that need root permission.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The other thing is , if you could root the phone and install superuser no need for custom recovery and can disable packages like software update or modifying the stock firmware all without a customer recovery as superuser access management tools that need root permission.

But the bonus for the custom recovery would be making Nandoird backups in case something goes wrong.