Not happy with Note 10 rumors, should I just get another Note 9, just in case?

mjergen

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I got myself the N9600 (Snapdragon, 8Gb RAM) last December, so I highly doubt I will. The N9600 is a monster powerhouse with a fantastic battery courtesy of the Snapdragon. Plus, I will have to mourn the loss of the audio jack and the notification LED, as well as finger gestures on the back fingerprint reader.

corvette72778

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Although I have always upgraded annually (except the Note 5), this year is difficult because although you're getting some great features such as a 7nm cpu, bigger battery, faster charging and bigger display, you're also losing some KEY features such as Iris scanner, programmable Bixby button (Samsung Pay for me) rear finger print scanner, finger gestures (from the rear at least), haptic feedback on the home button, headphone jack, and power button on the right. That's quite a few features to lose too which hasn't happened since the Note 5. I especially like rear fingerprint gestures to control notifications from my phone. Fingerprint gestures is really helpful for a big phone like a Note. Hopefully the 10 will have some type of gestures.

Battery life is one of my most valued features so I'm leaning towards the 10 especially with 45w charging. Gonna be a tough call though.

Oh yeah, and I won't pay full price...not even close. If TMobile doesn't have a deal I won't get it. Last year they offered half off plus the trade in value.

Last edited:

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Nope. I'll wait until there is no hole in the display. The Note 9 will be good enough until that happens.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Although I have always upgraded annually (except the Note 5), this year is difficult because although you're getting some great features such as a 7nm cpu, bigger battery, faster charging and bigger display, you're also losing some KEY features such as Iris scanner, programmable Bixby button (Samsung Pay for me) rear finger print scanner, finger gestures (from the rear at least), haptic feedback on the home button, headphone jack, and power button on the right. That's quite a few features to lose too which hasn't happened since the Note 5. I especially like rear fingerprint gestures to control notifications from my phone. Fingerprint gestures is really helpful for a big phone like a Note. Hopefully the 10 will have some type of gestures.

Battery life is one of my most valued features so I'm leaning towards the 10 especially with 45w charging. Gonna be a tough call though.

Oh yeah, and I won't pay full price...not even close. If TMobile doesn't have a deal I won't get it. Last year they offered half off plus the trade in value.

Half those you like for the N9 I never used. My spay stopped working after an update (after Pie), even on my S3 watch and worked fine on my phone the entire time. Never used the Bixby button, it'll be fine to have it part of the power button. Never used the hand or finger gestures.

Headphone Jack is a loss, but I'm tying an inexpensive aux bluetooth in my car just to see if I like that better then the cable. The cable headphones will be a loss to me.

It's good you didn't get the 21 month finance "agreement" for trade in. Others will be penalized if they upgrade early on tmobile. I waited, lower price, no tax, no "agreement" since I still owed on my N8 and I wanted to keep my N5 as backup. I hope tmobile does better this year.

For anyone considering, wait. It's only 2 weeks. If it's a horrible upgrade, get the 9.

Chromium 4

May 28, 2017
Visit site
The purchase of my Note 9 was an investment in what I viewed as a quality product that would last me a number of years. When the T-mobile variant was finally "upgraded" to Pie, the ability to manually control video was inexplicably taken away. This was a feature I used often and one of the reasons I purchased the device in the first place. Since the changeover to Pie I have had a number of issues when videoing and a check at Samsung's authorized repair center, You Break I Fix found, a number of problems resulting in me having to send it off to Texas for repair. So no, I will not be purchasing the Note 10 or possibly any more Samsung products.

Last edited:

gd761

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
From the Note 9 to the Note 10, No.

From the Note 9 to the Note 10+/Pro, Maybe.

From the Note 9 to the Note 10+/Pro 5G 1TB, Most likely Yes.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
From the Note 9 to the Note 10, No.

From the Note 9 to the Note 10+/Pro, Maybe.

From the Note 9 to the Note 10+/Pro 5G 1TB, Most likely Yes.
5G has no interest for me now. Carriers are talking about charging more for the 5G plan and so far the 5G phones are costing more money. So, we are paying a premium for a phone and service that is barely rolled out, won't be Nationwide for at least a year, probably 2 years, and the cities it is in is spotty anyway. The note 10 will be ok on 4G, even if you keep your phones for 2 years. Definitely not worth paying a premium for 5G.

As far as 1TB storage, not paying extra for that either. I have 512 now and still have 400 available. I don't know how people need that much storage for a phone, but if you need it then it's there I guess. Lol

Sep 13, 2017
Visit site
I use my phone for business, and it does everything I need plus some. I don't see anything of value to me in any version of the Note 10 that I don't already possess in the Note 9.

The 5G is not in enough places to make it of value except for the very few. They have a lot to do to fully deploy 5G. And even if they had it now, I doubt it would save me even one second on loading time of any website I access. In addition, with a terabyte of storage now, I don't see myself running out of space within the next several years. And for me it's too much trouble to switch phones. There's nothing in the process I enjoy. So the function of the new device has to really "wow me" to make the process worth the trouble. The Note 9 is so much more than what's needed it will be several years before the new phone will have enough to be a cost effective solution. If it was not for my business, I wouldn't have a need for a phone as powerful and feature rich as the Note 9. I would say that with the Note 9 there's not even a phone on the drawing board that could lure me away. I truly love my Note 9.

corvette72778

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Half those you like for the N9 I never used. My spay stopped working after an update (after Pie), even on my S3 watch and worked fine on my phone the entire time. Never used the Bixby button, it'll be fine to have it part of the power button. Never used the hand or finger gestures.

Headphone Jack is a loss, but I'm tying an inexpensive aux bluetooth in my car just to see if I like that better then the cable. The cable headphones will be a loss to me.

It's good you didn't get the 21 month finance "agreement" for trade in. Others will be penalized if they upgrade early on tmobile. I waited, lower price, no tax, no "agreement" since I still owed on my N8 and I wanted to keep my N5 as backup. I hope tmobile does better this year.

For anyone considering, wait. It's only 2 weeks. If it's a horrible upgrade, get the 9.

Sounds like you're with the majority of phone users in that you don't use the phone to it's true capabilities. Samsung Pay is the reason to buy a Samsung.
If you're not using the programmable Bixby button, you're taking longer to get to an app or process that could have been shortened. That's why Samsung lets you double press the power button to get to the camera.

I never mentioned headphone jack because it's finally obsolete. 3 years ago it wasn't but it's obsolete now.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like you're with the majority of phone users in that you don't use the phone to it's true capabilities. Samsung Pay is the reason to buy a Samsung.
If you're not using the programmable Bixby button, you're taking longer to get to an app or process that could have been shortened. That's why Samsung lets you double press the power button to get to the camera.

I never mentioned headphone jack because it's finally obsolete. 3 years ago it wasn't but it's obsolete now.
Disagree with you, Samsung pay is not the reason to get a Samsung phone. Bixby is not all that either.

Everyone has different uses/needs for a phone. Just because we don't use some features of a phone doesn't mean you're not using the phone to it's true capabilities, it just means they use the phone for what they need it for. Let's not forget the number one reason people have smart phones, they are forced to get them to have the style touch screen instead of the flip phones. A lot of people just want phone and texting and want the touch screen to do it because it's easier, but they are forced into a data plan to get such a phone. Now it's just the normal thing.

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site

I have to disagree with you. I don't think that the headphone jack is completely obsolete just yet, but it will be eventually.

As for the Bixby button, I've left it as is.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
So if I am understanding from your title and post... You already have a Note 9... And asking if you should get another... As a spare??

If that's the case... No, lol.

If you have a perfectly good 9... Have faith it will carry you another year. These things aren't really meant to fall apart after a year... Maybe 3. Spares just sit around and degrade and such a waste to not be used fully.

I have my Note 8 from launch date and enjoying it through the Note 9 without any regret of getting it and probably won't regret skipping the 10 nothing exciting.

If you have a 9 now... Use it until you find the next phone and if it dies prematurely, if you really still love the 9 then there will be plenty on swappa to buy.

An S7 sounds cool and nostalgic... But would be a pain to use being so outdated in UI and it will most likely be sluggish making you forget that nostalgic feeling lol.

But hey, whatever floats your boat. I still have my iPhone 1 on my desk to look and smile thinking of the 1000 pics I have of my daughter as a child. But that's all it is now... A little electronic blast from the past photo album lol.

So I know that the Note 10 is coming and there will be no LED light(which I love btw), possibly no headset jack and there will be a camera on the screen which I am NOT a fan of. So already I am not feeling this phone and it hasn't even come out yet.

I really do like the Samsung Eco system and I love their phones. I thought about collecting them and getting a S7 for old times sake and a Note 8, but im nervous about using Swappa because I have already seen some phones in "Mint" condition that had scratches on them.

Anyway, I have the chance to go pick up a brand new note 9 from the tmobile store down the street, what do you guys think? Should I do that, or try to get something cheaper from Swappa and give them a chance?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae