Whatsapp Video Call Not Waking Screen (Among other issues)

Noted Nine

May 23, 2019
Visit site
Stayed well away from Samsung for nearly a decade, and think I'm now being reminded why...
Posted various problems I've had with my attempt to get back on the Samsung train on various threads here. But surely a phone which, even now, still costs a whopping near USD800 shouldn't be this niggly...
It spikes up in warmth for running even the most basic applications. Or for no, or any random reason. Have had a curious case of the notification tray dropping down while receiving a call, which I thought was sorted by changing the screen protector, but alas, apparently not. As of today, its back again, almost like the screen is far too responsive for its own good. Discovered I can simulate it happening simply by covering the proximity sensor with my thumb, and removing it while on a call and...boom! Unfurled notification tray like some warped magic trick.
By this evening, I was well and truly exhausted by my own OCD and the phones need to stoke it further. This was however before placing a WhatsApp call, wherein the other party switched to video calling, and I was totally hamstrung to answer.
Could hear the beeps as the video call request came through, but as the phones screen had timed out (as it normally does after thirty seconds), the WhatsApp videocall didn't wake the screen.
Yes I've cleared cache partition and the apps cache, yes I restarted the device, and no, I'm not doing another factory reset.
I think I might have made a very expensive mistake. Samsung should rename itself Niggles & Company. The Note 9 would be a worthy flagship device for such a rebrand.

Any ideas anyone? In truth, I feel like I've gone nine rounds with a 'beast of a phone', which at this point has me well and truly beat!

Yours truly, Totally Fed Up!

EuroDriver

Aug 24, 2018
Visit site
I think this is my last Samsung phone as well. Aside the fact of the numerous glitches because they hurry them into the market, last year I waited over 3 months for my pre-order.

I was offered $200 in credits for the delay. Months later, they chiseled me down to $95 because I didn't take screenshots of their offers (they promised the 95 because that one was recorded in a chat). I have called / chatted countless times in the course of the year and to date, I haven't received a penny in credits.

I'm waiting for the new pixel release

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Stayed well away from Samsung for nearly a decade, and think I'm now being reminded why...
Posted various problems I've had with my attempt to get back on the Samsung train on various threads here. But surely a phone which, even now, still costs a whopping near USD800 shouldn't be this niggly...
It spikes up in warmth for running even the most basic applications. Or for no, or any random reason. Have had a curious case of the notification tray dropping down while receiving a call, which I thought was sorted by changing the screen protector, but alas, apparently not. As of today, its back again, almost like the screen is far too responsive for its own good. Discovered I can simulate it happening simply by covering the proximity sensor with my thumb, and removing it while on a call and...boom! Unfurled notification tray like some warped magic trick.
By this evening, I was well and truly exhausted by my own OCD and the phones need to stoke it further. This was however before placing a WhatsApp call, wherein the other party switched to video calling, and I was totally hamstrung to answer.
Could hear the beeps as the video call request came through, but as the phones screen had timed out (as it normally does after thirty seconds), the WhatsApp videocall didn't wake the screen.
Yes I've cleared cache partition and the apps cache, yes I restarted the device, and no, I'm not doing another factory reset.
I think I might have made a very expensive mistake. Samsung should rename itself Niggles & Company. The Note 9 would be a worthy flagship device for such a rebrand.

Any ideas anyone? In truth, I feel like I've gone nine rounds with a 'beast of a phone', which at this point has me well and truly beat!

Yours truly, Totally Fed Up!
Sounds like a app setting or problem, have you long press the app >tap info> see if notification on and not blocked?

Noted Nine

May 23, 2019
Visit site
I think this is my last Samsung phone as well. Aside the fact of the numerous glitches because they hurry them into the market, last year I waited over 3 months for my pre-order.

I was offered $200 in credits for the delay. Months later, they chiseled me down to $95 because I didn't take screenshots of their offers (they promised the 95 because that one was recorded in a chat). I have called / chatted countless times in the course of the year and to date, I haven't received a penny in credits.

I'm waiting for the new pixel release

Unfortunately in my case, my only other option is to go budget. Have an Honor 8x waiting in the wings but also means taking a serious hit if I decide to sell the Note on. Much as the 8x is an awesome device at its price point, would rather have the Note work as a serviceable device for me.

Last edited:

Noted Nine

May 23, 2019
Visit site
Sounds like a app setting or problem, have you long press the app >tap info> see if notification on and not blocked?

Yes I have, just did so again...
Current state of notification definitions for the app..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190620-195332_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20190620-195332_Settings.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20190620-195350_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20190620-195350_Settings.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 17

Noted Nine

May 23, 2019
Visit site
Ok how about in the app itself in notification?

All seem OK. Problem is with the phone not allowing the app reawaken it with a video call once screen is off, if one is already on a WhatsApp voice all.
Works perfectly normally if the initial call coming through is a video call. Screen wakes, notification ringtone is normal and audible.

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
All seem OK. Problem is with the phone not allowing the app reawaken it with a video call once screen is off, if one is already on a WhatsApp voice all.
Works perfectly normally if the initial call coming through is a video call. Screen wakes, notification ringtone is normal and audible.
Then you have to see maybe take out of optimized battery and see if back ground activity is on also.

note1note9

Sep 14, 2018
Visit site
I agree with the "small niggles" as I have encountered some as well over the 10 months I have owned it since pre order. Biggest "niggle" was my telephoto lens making the buzzing noise and couldn't focus properly.

However all in all still satisfied with my note 9 but I still have another 1 year to go so we'll see.

srgonu

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
I think it's more of a WhatsApp problem. On my pixel 2xl WhatsApp voice call doesnt even show up even when screen is on. I have to go in to notifications to answer it and it works fine on my note.

Noted Nine

May 23, 2019
Visit site
I think it's more of a WhatsApp problem. On my pixel 2xl WhatsApp voice call doesnt even show up even when screen is on. I have to go in to notifications to answer it and it works fine on my note.

Think you might be right.
Quick update: All's well again in Whatsapp land :)
Decided to delete the app and reinstall once I realised updating the app hadn't sorted the problem.
Bingo! It worked. Video calls now wake the screen. Supports the idea it was indeed a WhatsApp issue rather than a Note problem.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Think you might be right.
Quick update: All's well again in Whatsapp land :)
Decided to delete the app and reinstall once I realised updating the app hadn't sorted the problem.
Bingo! It worked. Video calls now wake the screen. Supports the idea it was indeed a WhatsApp issue rather than a Note problem.

I'm glad that method worked out for you , hopefully help others with same issue.