I was wondering if DeX could be used to watch movies and TV on a monitor? I've got numerous multimedia apps on my phone and wondered if it would work that way? I know I can just cast to a tv, but...I want to put a TV on my workbench...and instead of buying a new tv...I have a nice monitor that isn't being used...so thought about trying that instead.
    06-28-2019 08:48 AM
    You don't need DeX for that
    Just connect to monitor by HDMI and don't choose DeX and you can see your phone on monitor. Many media apps like Xfinity Stream do not allow streaming out to HDMI however so some of your apps won't work. Netflix works fine.
    06-28-2019 10:28 AM
    Hmm...I'll give that a try...will it go full screen? I use Sling, Hulu and Cyberflix on my phone.
    06-28-2019 10:36 AM
    I don't have those apps but Netflix is full screen. Netflix is the only media streaming app I have that works. Others say something like hdmi out is blocked for this app.
    Hmm...I'll give that a try...will it go full screen? I use Sling, Hulu and Cyberflix on my phone.
    AirMech74 likes this.
    06-28-2019 10:40 AM
    Still worth a shot....hdmi to type C is a lot cheaper than a DeX
    06-28-2019 12:50 PM
    Still worth a shot....hdmi to type C is a lot cheaper than a DeX
    I have a cheap USB-C to HDMI adapter, from Amazon. It provides both mirror phone and DEX options.
    If I power the adapter, it powers the phone and gives the DEX option. If I do not power the adapter, the only option is mirror.
    It took me a while to figure out why I couldn't get the DEX option, until I put AC power to the adapter.
    06-29-2019 11:08 AM
    I have a cheap USB-C to HDMI adapter, from Amazon. It provides both mirror phone and DEX options.
    If I power the adapter, it powers the phone and gives the DEX option. If I do not power the adapter, the only option is mirror.
    It took me a while to figure out why I couldn't get the DEX option, until I put AC power to the adapter.
    Got a model number or link to amazon?
    06-29-2019 11:26 PM
    Got a model number or link to amazon?
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07FC...cUvbUpU6572165

If I recall, it needed a high amp / fast charging wall adapter to light off DEX. I used the OEM Note 9 charger.
    I haven't used it much, so can't comment on its durability.
    06-30-2019 09:24 AM
    I just kick smart view to my roku. works on Google as well. couldn't do that with Bluetooth or wifi to the pc?
    06-30-2019 12:23 PM
    I just kick smart view to my roku. works on Google as well. couldn't do that with Bluetooth or wifi to the pc?
    Is this what you're referring to?
    I thought that only worked on Samsung brand TVs.
    Attached Thumbnails Anybody use DeX to stream movies and TV?-15583.jpg  
    06-30-2019 03:43 PM
    nah it's part of your phone software. it works on my roku, it works on Google and I know it works on my girlfriends smart TV. I'm pretty sure it's a Vizio. If you pull down your settings or at the least look around in there you should find smart view
    msndrstood likes this.
    07-02-2019 07:20 PM
    nah it's part of your phone software. it works on my roku, it works on Google and I know it works on my girlfriends smart TV. I'm pretty sure it's a Vizio. If you pull down your settings or at the least look around in there you should find smart view
    Searched in settings. No joy.
    Is it a function of the app you're viewing, like the "cast" button on YouTube, or is it actually a function of the phone, itself?
    07-04-2019 10:30 AM
    it's a function of my phone. if I could post pics on the app is show u a screen shot. if I can post pics on the app tell me how and I'll do.it lol

There in the top left corner.
    Attached Thumbnails Anybody use DeX to stream movies and TV?-5711.jpg  
    07-05-2019 07:17 PM
    There in the top left corner.
    Duh! Thanks for drawing me a map! 😉
    I'm sure I've seen that before, but didn't recall. Probably, when I setup my quick settings, last November. 😏
    07-05-2019 07:53 PM
    Yes, you can. All you need to do is connect an HDMI adapter to your device and then connect that cable to an HDMI port on your monitor that you are thinking to use. Then, tap on the ‘Start Samsung DeX’ on your phone screen. If you use a cable that isn’t HDMI to HDMI, it could cause a restricted or incorrect functionality with the Samsung DeX. Once you have this done, you can use app like Netflix or movies saved on your phone to stream on your monitor.
    07-10-2019 02:01 AM
    But can't you do the exact same thing by connecting hdmi out to hdmi in then NOT choose DeX? Just mirror Netflix to the monitor. That's what I do.
    07-10-2019 10:22 AM