Just when I think I've figured out Android and the Note 9, I'm hit with something else.

Received a few photos today, via text/MMS, from London, T-mobile. I'm in Atlanta, GA.

Oddly, versus receiving the actual photos, I received a link and pin code. Really...?

This did not happen on my S9+. Ugh, what could be causing this, on the Note 9?

As always, thanks all. I feel like such a cluts of sorts...
    07-16-2019 01:53 PM
    Are you sure the media you received was not sent as a link? If it was, indeed, a picture, check your app's settings to see if automatic media downloads for MMS (especially if you're roaming) is active.
    ivanwi11iams likes this.
    07-16-2019 02:19 PM
    Are you sure the media you received was not sent as a link? If it was, indeed, a picture, check your app's settings to see if automatic media downloads for MMS (especially if you're roaming) is active.
    Yes, definitely a photo. And in my Messages app, automatic download is on. Roaming is on, too. Alas, I'm not roaming, in my zone ATT.
    07-16-2019 02:22 PM
    This wouldn't help with existing messages, but have you tried a 3rd party texting app? Does it do the same? If so, this could be a carrier thing not necessarily a phone issue.
    ivanwi11iams likes this.
    07-16-2019 02:27 PM
    Hmm, good point. The issue first appeared with the Messages app. So, I then tried the default Pie OS Message app, same thing.

Let me go and try Textra. Albeit weird...

This wouldn't help with existing messages, but have you tried a 3rd party texting app? Does it do the same? If so, this could be a carrier thing not necessarily a phone issue.
    07-16-2019 02:30 PM
    Just make sure that when you switch apps you ARE receiving a new media message from that number (or any number if this is happening no matter what). Otherwise you're just seeing existing messages in your database, won't matter which app you use.
    ivanwi11iams likes this.
    07-16-2019 02:31 PM
    Certainly, during my tests I am having the individual send me a NEW message (photo)...
    SpookDroid likes this.
    07-16-2019 02:34 PM
    Also ask them if the media size. If it's a larger file than what your carrier allows for MMS it might default to that link. Just curious, is the link a Samsung link, Google link, ATT link...? Neither?
    ivanwi11iams likes this.
    07-16-2019 02:40 PM
    Also ask them if the media size. If it's a larger file than what your carrier allows for MMS it might default to that link. Just curious, is the link a Samsung link, Google link, ATT link...? Neither?
    Neither, it is a bics.com link. I have now deleted past text communication with this Contact. Now waiting to test a 'fresh' MMS.

Thanks for the tips...
    07-16-2019 02:49 PM
    This is all rather weird, and frustrating at the same time.
    I never had this issue with my S9+.

Alas, I have reverted back to Textra, as the default app for SMS. Let's see if I receive any international text messages (MMS) tomorrow (from London, T-Mobile). Fingers cross they simply deliver the photos, and not a link to a web portal...
    07-16-2019 07:39 PM
    Clearly this is just an international issue. Ugh...!

07-16-2019 07:59 PM
    Not that this would resolve the MMS issue you're experiencing, but I would switch to WhatsApp for international messaging.
    07-16-2019 09:38 PM
    Currently, I cannot seem to receive or send MMS.
    If someone sends me an MMS, I will receive a message (eventually) saying, "Can't get MMS: timeout".

Today, I will phone ATT, and ask them to 'reset' my text\mms on my account. Maybe that will help.
    I used to think this was an international communication issue. Alas, even from people within the US, MMS fails to receive or send.

I do need to resolve this quickly. Otherwise, this Note 9 will have to be returned. Ugh...

PS: Sorry, no can do, with WhatsApp. I simply can't do anything related to Facebook. But, thanks for the idea...
    SpookDroid likes this.
    07-17-2019 06:18 AM
    Sounds like more of a carrier issue than a phone issue, TBH... But hope you can get it resolved soon.

Also, if you're against anything Facebook (although, to be fair, Whatsapp is still its own entity and while they will be showing ads eventually, their messaging system is still encrypted end to end) you can also try alternatives like Telegram, which would give you much better media options than basic, limited MMS ones. The downside, of course, is that your contacts would also need to be using the IM app of choice...

Also, remember that MMS is limited in size, so that might also trigger the link (some carriers limit it to something ridiculous like 512KB).
    07-17-2019 11:30 AM
    FIXED: ATT had to reset my MMS...
    SpookDroid and Connert like this.
    07-17-2019 12:07 PM
    Glad you got it fixed though. I've been reading a bit on this (especially since you provided the link) and it's not an uncommon problem with carriers. Unfortunately it seems for some either the carrier just doesn't wanna work with them or they can't seem to know how to fix it. For others yeah, the size limit is what triggers these links.
    ivanwi11iams likes this.
    07-17-2019 12:16 PM
    Me, too. Here I was thinking for a moment, that I would have to return the Note 9...
    07-17-2019 02:35 PM
    Can't wait for Google to take over RCS and just implement it properly (and working) with just their app, no carriers involved.
    Connert likes this.
    07-17-2019 04:11 PM